Watts Up...?
Jul 23, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #4,111 of 4,753
Coming back to a more “Watts up” related topic… I hope that the new M Scaler has a more complex (with more settings) version of the Mojo 2 eq. I don’t know if this is even technically possible or if it has to be done inside the DAC, but since Dave does not have this feature and it is intended for Dave it would be nice if this could be added that way.
Yes for sure a more complex EQ is very much technically possible for the new M scaler - considering the enormous amount of processing FPGA capacity I have available on the hardware. Watch this space!

Jul 23, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #4,112 of 4,753
Yes for sure a more complex EQ is very much technically possible for the new M scaler - considering the enormous amount of processing FPGA capacity I have available on the hardware. Watch this space!

Well, if there are auto EQ adjustments (input via mic and with selections of neutral, warm, mellow, excitement, extreme, or even based on moods of morning, evening, midnight :wink: :wink:) based on room size and condition, that would be a selling point, at least for those who don't know how (or any how) to EQ.

Jul 23, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #4,113 of 4,753
Well, if there are auto EQ adjustments (input via mic and with selections of neutral, warm, mellow, excitement, extreme, or even based on moods of morning, evening, midnight :wink: :wink:) based on room size and condition, that would be a selling point, at least for those who don't know how (or any how) to EQ.
Don't worry about not "knowing"! Unless you're dealing with some clear problem (unlikely when EQing a mastered mix), it's all pretty much by personal taste anyway. Have fun!

Jul 23, 2023 at 5:22 AM Post #4,114 of 4,753
Boy, if you could build say a 5-band parametric with Q in there somehow of the quality of the one in the Mojo2, watch out - you'd end up owning the market!

Jul 23, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #4,116 of 4,753
Be careful. Regular changes to a products specifications, are a sure fire way to delay the date when the product will be ready for release.

Jul 23, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #4,117 of 4,753
Be careful. Regular changes to a products specifications, are a sure fire way to delay the date when the product will be ready for release.
Not even John Franks is able to convince Rob to build something he does not want😅. I am lucky that I was able to convince him of the Nvidia Shield, so I get my Shield mode :beerchug:. Maybe Chord can convince Nvidia to change it to a few more seconds.
I trust him that he continues to build awesome stuff that he likes to use everyday, which up until now has overlaped almost 100% of what I want to use everyday.

Jul 23, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #4,118 of 4,753
Not even John Franks is able to convince Rob to build something he does not want😅. I am lucky that I was able to convince him of the Nvidia Shield, so I get my Shield mode :beerchug:. Maybe Chord can convince Nvidia to change it to a few more seconds.
I trust him that he continues to build awesome stuff that he likes to use everyday, which up until now has overlaped almost 100% of what I want to use everyday.
Yes I agree with you that my impression from reading Robs many posts, is similar.
I was just trying to add my experience from product development that a scope/product requirement 'creep' is a bad sign.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #4,119 of 4,753
Presumably this is for when the new M Scaler is not being used for scaling, e.g. when fed by 16FS data.

Instead it would be used as a pure EQ box? Connected to the 16FS output of DAVINA?

So, for example, DAVINA would be converting a microphone signal to digital, outputting 768KHz sample rate data into the new M Scaler, which performs EQ and outputs 768KHz sampled data...

Jul 23, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #4,120 of 4,753
Boy, if you could build say a 5-band parametric with Q in there somehow of the quality of the one in the Mojo2, watch out - you'd end up owning the market!
He said enormous amount of power available

If Qudelix 5K can do 10 bands parametric EQ

Please can new M Scaler do 10 bands also, not just 5

With the same clever way to set the EQ too

I'm more interested in this for a future Hugo3 anyway

Jul 23, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #4,121 of 4,753

If Rob already has it in mind during the design stage. This is important as it will determine the layout of the HW. As for others, just purely programming as long as the "CPU" and "RAM" are sufficient. Rob just needs to plug-in existing codes from the DAVINA.

Jul 23, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #4,122 of 4,753

You have mentioned before about the slow progress of more powerful new FPGAs, is it not possible to bridge a pair of the highest performers together to double up on processing power?

Jul 24, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #4,123 of 4,753
You have mentioned before about the slow progress of more powerful new FPGAs, is it not possible to bridge a pair of the highest performers together to double up on processing power?
Sure, that's exactly what I have done for the Choral range M scaler, multiple 200Ts. Xilinx do do much bigger FPGAs than the 200T, but at 4 times the cost for a given level of performance, so for a commercial product the higher spec FPGAs make no economic sense.

Jul 24, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #4,124 of 4,753
Sure, that's exactly what I have done for the Choral range M scaler, multiple 200Ts. Xilinx do do much bigger FPGAs than the 200T, but at 4 times the cost for a given level of performance, so for a commercial product the higher spec FPGAs make no economic sense.
In a cost-no-object Ultima Super Scaler they might be applicable? They'd also consume much less power wouldn't they, making something practically realisable.

Jul 24, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #4,125 of 4,753
I cant help imagining the amount of groundplane noise stacked FPGA's must generate.. it must be a pain to filter that out using copper connection to the DAC..

And ofc the heat they produce

Users who are viewing this thread

Back