Watts Up...?
Jan 2, 2023 at 2:11 AM Post #3,736 of 4,673
@RobWatts There have been a few posts now on head-fi referring to a future ultima range DAC and many relating to the expected choral x-scaler.
I would like to know whether there will be an additional scaler in the ultima range to accompany the ultima DAC please.
It's not something I am working on now, I need to get the Choral M scaler and the Ultima DAC finished before thinking about that!

PS. Happy New Year everyone. Let's hope 2023 is a lot better than 2022...

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #3,738 of 4,673
Hi Rob,

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

May 2023 bring many more DAC's from Chord :ksc75smile:

I would like to try my TT2 / HMS with a pair of Kef LS50 speakers (1st Gen) from the XLR out (18W), specs below, would the KEF be to hard to drive in low to moderate volumes and is there any risk of damaging the TT2?

Crossover Type2-Way
Enclosure typeBass Reflex
Frequency Range (+/-3 dB)[Hz]79 - 28000
Frequency Range (-6dB)[Hz]47 - 45000
Maximum SPL [dB]-
Sensitivity (2,83 V/1 m)[dB]85
Nominal Impedance (Ohms)8
THD (Total Harmonic Distortion)-
Recommended Amplifier Power [W]25-100
Crossover Frequency [Hz]2200

Thanks for you feedback and your contribution on HeadFi.

Jan 2, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #3,739 of 4,673
Between the hugo 2 and the new mojo 2 what are the biggest differences in terms of their amplifier section?

Jan 3, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #3,740 of 4,673
Hi Rob,

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

May 2023 bring many more DAC's from Chord :ksc75smile:

I would like to try my TT2 / HMS with a pair of Kef LS50 speakers (1st Gen) from the XLR out (18W), specs below, would the KEF be to hard to drive in low to moderate volumes and is there any risk of damaging the TT2?

Crossover Type2-Way
Enclosure typeBass Reflex
Frequency Range (+/-3 dB)[Hz]79 - 28000
Frequency Range (-6dB)[Hz]47 - 45000
Maximum SPL [dB]-
Sensitivity (2,83 V/1 m)[dB]85
Nominal Impedance (Ohms)8
THD (Total Harmonic Distortion)-
Recommended Amplifier Power [W]25-100
Crossover Frequency [Hz]2200

Thanks for you feedback and your contribution on HeadFi.

The TT2 won't drive 8 ohm loudspeakers with the XLR outputs, as the thermal trip will function. So you are limited to the single ended 7W outputs.

I get more than enough volume from my B&W 803 D3 (90 dB with 1W), but 85 dB on the KEF may be a tough ask. I guess it depends upon what one means by moderate volumes, and of course the size of your listening room.

Between the hugo 2 and the new mojo 2 what are the biggest differences in terms of their amplifier section?

Principally Hugo 2 has the second order noise shaper topology on the amp side. This eliminates crossover distortion and markedly reduces HF distortion.

The subjective benefits depends on the load - you get the biggest SQ improvements with low impedance loads driven at high OP voltage.

Jan 3, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #3,741 of 4,673
Principally Hugo 2 has the second order noise shaper topology on the amp side. This eliminates crossover distortion and markedly reduces HF distortion.
This is the same as TT2 and DAVE, is that correct? That's what this slide is showing:

10113102.jpg

isn't it?

Jan 3, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #3,742 of 4,673
The TT2 won't drive 8 ohm loudspeakers with the XLR outputs, as the thermal trip will function. So you are limited to the single ended 7W outputs.

I get more than enough volume from my B&W 803 D3 (90 dB with 1W), but 85 dB on the KEF may be a tough ask. I guess it depends upon what one means by moderate volumes, and of course the size of your listening room.

The subjective benefits depends on the load - you get the biggest SQ improvements with low impedance loads driven at high OP voltage.
Many thanks for clarifying, by SE you mean the RCA out or by the HP 6.35mm jack ( or both)....just so I dont mess it up?

Jan 3, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #3,743 of 4,673
Many thanks for clarifying, by SE you mean the RCA out or by the HP 6.35mm jack ( or both)....just so I dont mess it up?
HI, i have tried TT2 with HP output into KEF LS50 Meta. In 20m2 room sound level was still quite enough but you would need going into +5H. But there is no doubt you could you and still enjoy. Another aspect why i didnt kept KEF's was related with the presentation which is not to my taste. I could find maybe somewhere even a video i made... If youd interested.

Jan 3, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #3,744 of 4,673
He means RCA.
A little explanation, if I may (Mr. Watts can correct me otherwise).
All Chord DACs are single ended internally, meaning in reality RCA only (RCA is single ended).
The balanced outputs on desktop models, is a virtual balanced output, derived from the SE output.
It is a true balanced output, that can output a very low noise signal, but it does not have the current drive of the original SE section, so they put a protection on it. If you connect a low impedance (8 ohm) load to it, it will trip the protection.
But the RCA output can give you the 7W he has promised into same load.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #3,745 of 4,673
HI, i have tried TT2 with HP output into KEF LS50 Meta. In 20m2 room sound level was still quite enough but you would need going into +5H. But there is no doubt you could you and still enjoy. Another aspect why i didnt kept KEF's was related with the presentation which is not to my taste. I could find maybe somewhere even a video i made... If youd interested.
Thanks, its for my office and its abt 8m2 so not very small, just an idea since I sit there and work everyday and my TT2/HMS/Aries G1 with the Susvara/Stealth is in the corner so I thought I could try and hook it up to my old Kef's

Jan 3, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #3,746 of 4,673
He means RCA.
A little explanation, if I may (Mr. Watts can correct me otherwise).
All Chord DACs are single ended internally, meaning in reality RCA only (RCA is single ended).
The balanced outputs on desktop models, is a virtual balanced output, derived from the SE output.
It is a true balanced output, that can output a very low noise signal, but it does not have the current drive of the original SE section, so they put a protection on it. If you connect a low impedance (8 ohm) load to it, it will trip the protection.
But the RCA output can give you the 7W he has promised into same load.
Thanks for clarifying, is this connected on the board, same as on the Hugo 2, meaning 6.35mm HP Jack is same as the RCA? Thinking of which adapter to the speaker cable I should look into getting...or making(DIY)?

Jan 3, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #3,747 of 4,673
Thanks for clarifying, is this connected on the board, same as on the Hugo 2, meaning 6.35mm HP Jack is same as the RCA? Thinking of which adapter to the speaker cable I should look into getting...or making(DIY)?
I don't know for sure, but pretty certain that headphone out has its own amp.
So I would say, NO.
connect to RCA.

Jan 3, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #3,748 of 4,673
Wonder for focal sopra's n1 with specs 89db 8ohm nominal, and 3.9ohm minimal would TT2 cope via XLR fine straight, or as always it's more safe via SE / HP? Thanks.

Jan 3, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #3,749 of 4,673
Wonder for focal sopra's n1 with specs 89db 8ohm nominal, and 3.9ohm minimal would TT2 cope via XLR fine straight, or as always it's more safe via SE / HP? Thanks.
Tt copes just fine to a fully balanced duo mono block amplifier via xlr. Then 4 pin into hd800S. If you’re doing balanced do it right. Or just se direct from TT

Jan 4, 2023 at 12:49 AM Post #3,750 of 4,673
This is the same as TT2 and DAVE, is that correct? That's what this slide is showing:

10113102.jpg

isn't it?

Correct.

You can use either, as both are connected to the same amp, enabled by different relays.

I don't know for sure, but pretty certain that headphone out has its own amp.
So I would say, NO.
connect to RCA.
No headphone amp - headphone or RCA is identical, except different relays. When in headphone mode, RCA and XLR OPs are disabled, and headphone OPs are disabled when no headphones are plugged in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back