Watts Up...?
Apr 17, 2024 at 10:03 PM Post #4,606 of 4,668
I’m a new TT2/MS owner. Without sounding negative, Im hearing VERY little difference in the sound when MS is enabled. Only with intense focus can I maybe discern a slight increase in stage depth. I’m using Tidal via Roon to a Holo Red, Red optical to MS and a pair of Oyaide BNC cables between TY2/MS. I had such high hopes and feeling a bit letdown. Am I missing something obvious?

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:53 PM Post #4,607 of 4,668
I’m a new TT2/MS owner. Without sounding negative, Im hearing VERY little difference in the sound when MS is enabled. Only with intense focus can I maybe discern a slight increase in stage depth. I’m using Tidal via Roon to a Holo Red, Red optical to MS and a pair of Oyaide BNC cables between TY2/MS. I had such high hopes and feeling a bit letdown. Am I missing something obvious?
Are you using headphones? Make sure the video mode is off and that you're in max upscale (white light). In my system with my speakers it is night and day difference, in fact, I can't listen without it.

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:36 PM Post #4,608 of 4,668
Are you using headphones? Make sure the video mode is off and that you're in max upscale (white light). In my system with my speakers it is night and day difference, in fact, I can't listen without it.
Headphones only for me. The video button is dark, which I think means “off”. I mean I’m struggling to hear any sort of improvement. I was using HQP previously and was following the recommendation to us sinc-M as a good “like Mscaler” sound… mine sounds NOTHING like that unfortunately.

Apr 18, 2024 at 1:36 AM Post #4,609 of 4,668
Don’t try too much. Stress kills listening sensitivity. Also turn off all source dsp and try some local Flac files. A lot of Tidals Library consists of not bit perfect recordings.

Apr 18, 2024 at 2:25 AM Post #4,610 of 4,668
To my ears, Mscaler, and with Chord DAC's in general they really depend on the source being bitperfect and not overly DSP'ed in a studio. One DSP setting activated on your player can take 80% away of Mscaler's effect.
A few settings to check on you player:
  • Output samplerate is the same as the record's one
  • No EQ enabled
  • No room enhancement used
  • No upsampling used in player
  • No player volume used (set on max in the software) use only the DAC's one
  • Balance is at zero shift
  • Max bit depth set not lower than 16b
  • No Dither enabled
  • Uncheck any other 'enhancement' setting, keep it stock (flat)
  • If using windows use Wasapi
  • Not playing a remaster, try using older originals, often 44.1 sounds better than higher like 96/192k
  • Use no MQA
I find that with electronicly generated EDM music the Mscaler dont add much as theres less natural instrument transients to recover like with simple mike recorded sources. Try to find once a genuine pre 1968 recorded track from non remastered 44.1 redbook.

Lastly dont A-B with and without Mscaling too quickly, listen for a while and let your brain adjust, then switch over and listen for a time without touching anything.

Hope this helps :)

Apr 18, 2024 at 3:47 AM Post #4,611 of 4,668
I find that with electronicly generated EDM music the Mscaler dont add much as theres less natural instrument transients
I find that it‘s a lot easier to follow the rithm of electronic beats. Also ironically the timbre accuracy is a lot better. This might be due to the samples often being real distorted instruments or other recorded sounds. To me all music benefits, just some recordings more than others.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 10:05 AM Post #4,612 of 4,668
To my ears, Mscaler, and with Chord DAC's in general they really depend on the source being bitperfect and not overly DSP'ed in a studio. One DSP setting activated on your player can take 80% away of Mscaler's effect.
A few settings to check on you player:
  • Output samplerate is the same as the record's one
  • No EQ enabled
  • No room enhancement used
  • No upsampling used in player
  • No player volume used (set on max in the software) use only the DAC's one
  • Balance is at zero shift
  • Max bit depth set not lower than 16b
  • No Dither enabled
  • Uncheck any other 'enhancement' setting, keep it stock (flat)
  • If using windows use Wasapi
  • Not playing a remaster, try using older originals, often 44.1 sounds better than higher like 96/192k
  • Use no MQA
I find that with electronicly generated EDM music the Mscaler dont add much as theres less natural instrument transients to recover like with simple mike recorded sources. Try to find once a genuine pre 1968 recorded track from non remastered 44.1 redbook.

Lastly dont A-B with and without Mscaling too quickly, listen for a while and let your brain adjust, then switch over and listen for a time without touching anything.

Hope this helps :)
This is all perfectly said. Reactcore what is a pre Dolby 1968 or earlier album you think exemplifies what the M Scaler does?

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #4,613 of 4,668
I’m a new TT2/MS owner. Without sounding negative, Im hearing VERY little difference in the sound when MS is enabled. Only with intense focus can I maybe discern a slight increase in stage depth. I had such high hopes and feeling a bit letdown. Am I missing something obvious?
I am also a TT2/MS owner, and I had a somewhat similar experience to yours. And just when writing this posting, I switched from pass-through mode to full-scaled mode to replicate. The effect is not dramatic, but all pervasive. For me its is obvious when I let go and immerse into the music. Music flows more naturally and organically. There is less "work" in the music. So paradoxically, if you focus hard and try to identify specific aspects, the improvements may seem disappointing, it is like a Zen thing: a bit:)

Apr 18, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #4,614 of 4,668
Thanks everyone, I will give all of these recommendations a try this evening.

Apr 18, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #4,615 of 4,668
This is all perfectly said. Reactcore what is a pre Dolby 1968 or earlier album you think exemplifies what the M Scaler does?
Try some of the ones i posted on Mscaler thread.. or just check up songs when the play is recorded before '68 and find an old early 80's 44.1 redbook rip of it.

Apr 18, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #4,616 of 4,668
please forgive me for being a doofus here... but this chart has me confused.

I understand that dual BNC/usb in at 44.1 gives me a max of 705.6

what don't understand is the optical column... is optical out or optical in that limits OUTPUT to 176.4? (because usb in is specifically called out in the Dual BNC column)

I'm currently using optical input from my Streamer (Holo Red) as well as optical input from my CD transport (Cambridge CXC). Does this mean that my maximum up-sampling is limited to 176.4?

1713474739311.png

Apr 18, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #4,617 of 4,668
please forgive me for being a doofus here... but this chart has me confused.

I understand that dual BNC/usb in at 44.1 gives me a max of 705.6

what don't understand is the optical column... is optical out or optical in that limits OUTPUT to 176.4? (because usb in is specifically called out in the Dual BNC column)

I'm currently using optical input from my Streamer (Holo Red) as well as optical input from my CD transport (Cambridge CXC). Does this mean that my maximum up-sampling is limited to 176.4?

1713474739311.png
The optical Toslink limits is 24/192khz, most music falls below these numbers. Using optical from the source into the M Scaler and then my TT-2 made a dramatic improvement. Everything sounds better, I prefer it over all others I.e, USB, Coax, etc.

Apr 18, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #4,618 of 4,668
The optical Toslink limits is 24/192khz, most music falls below these numbers. Using optical from the source into the M Scaler and then my TT-2 made a dramatic improvement. Everything sounds better, I prefer it over all others I.e, USB, Coax, etc.
Gotcha, I just wanted to confirm that despite the input (in this case optical), I'm not limited on my output

Apr 19, 2024 at 4:47 AM Post #4,619 of 4,668
I am also a TT2/MS owner, and I had a somewhat similar experience to yours. And just when writing this posting, I switched from pass-through mode to full-scaled mode to replicate. The effect is not dramatic, but all pervasive. For me its is obvious when I let go and immerse into the music. Music flows more naturally and organically. There is less "work" in the music. So paradoxically, if you focus hard and try to identify specific aspects, the improvements may seem disappointing, it is like a Zen thing: a bit:)
It's also a scientific thing. Neuroscience/psychology/evolutionary biology has for decades recognized conscious, slow, directed thought ("System 2", as many in the field call it) as a much later-evolved (as recently as 200,000 to 100,000 years) and very different process from the millions-of-years-old System 1, automatic, instant, unconscious thought that our brains use 90%+ of the time. When you sit around trying to "find" differences, you're using System 2. When you just listen to music to get lost in it, that's System 1.

It's analogous to sitting out on a sunny day, eyes closed, enjoying the breeze, versus thinking about the breeze and the sun. As Kahneman has pointed out, it's almost impossible to fully enjoy something while you're focused on analyzing it.

I hear night-and-day differences with the M-Scaler on, but I don't listen to them, I just notice them. My most recent experience was a snare drum. I first listened M-Scaler off. Fine. Then M-Scaler on, my brain immediately notices "wow there's a snare drum in the room." Only THEN did I analyze why I heard the difference.

The brain didn't evolve to listen to music. It evolved to understand the environment you're in. And it's INCREDIBLY good at that. And losing yourself in music is, to the brain, an exercise in experiencing the environment.

But if you contaminate that process with analytical thought, the brain can't do as good a job. If you doubt me, go to a concert sometime and see how much you enjoy the music while thinking about your financial situation.

Apr 19, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #4,620 of 4,668
But if you contaminate that process with analytical thought, the brain can't do as good a job. If you doubt me, go to a concert sometime and see how much you enjoy the music while thinking about your financial situation.
Especially just after you lashed out on some of the products we typically consider here 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back