Watts Up...?
Jun 7, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #3,496 of 4,674
1654619748121.png

Does this mean Chord and Apple will be forced to adopt USB-C by 2024?
I wonder . . . .
From what I was hearing on the radio today it is expected that after a suitable amount of stamping of feet, Apple will bow to the EU in Europe but that they will carry on doing their own thing elsewhere. It may be that Chord’s products will not be caught by the requirement if one looks at the list of proposed included devices (quote below from BBC website). I wonder if the EU would have insisted all computers had to stick with floppy disk drives? 😜

“The new rule will cover a range of "small and medium-sized portable electronics", according the EU, including:
  • mobile phones
  • tablets
  • headphones and headsets
  • handheld videogame consoles
  • portable speakers

Jun 10, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #3,500 of 4,674
1654892136437.png

No, I am not advertising for Topping here, it is more of a question.
This device is advertised as a USB galvanic isolator. It removes ground loop issues, by creating an isolated new ground, USB data lines and power are also isolated.
It is an active device (true isolator not just a filter) running on power from host USB, drawing about 20mA. The side USB-C socket, is to plug in a separate power source for those DACs that require power (Not Chord, I believe). It is full USB 2 compliant.
Here is the question:
Will it eliminate ground RF pollution that might occur using Hugo2 or Mojo2 in desktop mode? Assuming it does what it says on the tin!
It seems is does just that. Here is a lab measurement done on the device.
If it is up to the task, at its low price, it would be useful.

Jun 11, 2022 at 1:34 AM Post #3,501 of 4,674

No, I am not advertising for Topping here, it is more of a question.
This device is advertised as a USB galvanic isolator. It removes ground loop issues, by creating an isolated new ground, USB data lines and power are also isolated.
It is an active device (true isolator not just a filter) running on power from host USB, drawing about 20mA. The side USB-C socket, is to plug in a separate power source for those DACs that require power (Not Chord, I believe). It is full USB 2 compliant.
Here is the question:
Will it eliminate ground RF pollution that might occur using Hugo2 or Mojo2 in desktop mode? Assuming it does what it says on the tin!
It seems is does just that. Here is a lab measurement done on the device.
If it is up to the task, at its low price, it would be useful.
Yes it should help.Here you have some measurements showing that device works

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #3,502 of 4,674
The Topping HS01 may be a simple solution to add galvanic isolation to the Blu Mk II USB input. Archimago certainly is credible considering he put the entire MQA team on the defense a few years ago. Would be interested to hear Rob Watts’ thoughts on the HS01.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #3,503 of 4,674
@Rob Watts
Did or have you ever considered using opto couplers in the coaxial signal paths of HMS and your DAC's? And if yes and not already implemented.. is there a reason to avoid it?

Could creating a separate (2 battery operated) optocoupler yield any benefits?

Thanks in advance for your response,
DIY guy Rick

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #3,504 of 4,674
@Rob Watts
Did or have you ever considered using opto couplers in the coaxial signal paths of HMS and your DAC's? And if yes and not already implemented.. is there a reason to avoid it?

Could creating a separate (2 battery operated) optocoupler yield any benefits?

Thanks in advance for your response,
DIY guy Rick
This was high on my list for 'enhancements' too. I will state (also perhaps for Robs benefit) that I always found BNC/Optical to work best with Chord DACs, no surprise there. Rob himself also stated whilst USB can perform as a good as these two connections that it's quite difficult due to RFI etc...

This all changed when I started recently using Network Acoustics Muon USB cable... way better. I was not expecting it. Optocouplers might not be needed.

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #3,505 of 4,674
This was high on my list for 'enhancements' too. I will state (also perhaps for Robs benefit) that I always found BNC/Optical to work best with Chord DACs, no surprise there. Rob himself also stated whilst USB can perform as a good as these two connections that it's quite difficult due to RFI etc...

This all changed when I started recently using Network Acoustics Muon USB cable... way better. I was not expecting it. Optocouplers might not be needed.
It is also worth trying an Innuos PhoenixUSB between the source and either the Mscaler or Dave. I had one on home demo for a couple of weeks and was so reluctant to send it back that I bought it.

Jun 21, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #3,507 of 4,674

Im actually thinking of it as a opto coupled DBNC link from Mscaler.. this cant be USB by standard

Jun 22, 2022 at 6:15 AM Post #3,508 of 4,674
It is also worth trying an Innuos PhoenixUSB between the source and either the Mscaler or Dave. I had one on home demo for a couple of weeks and was so reluctant to send it back that I bought it.
Hello Nick .
Interesting to read this again, but permit me to ask,is this also something where you and Rob fully agree as with your BNC cables?
Or is it as with the "cheap" little external build, linear PSU´s you and others use and rave about with Dave but which Rob disagrees with and advices against?

Although imho Rob understates the difference your BNCs make a bit.
To me it is audibly more than "the surface of the icing on the cake" especially if we are talking about using only the stock wallwart supply.

Personally all I can say is that my own humble Qutest sounds more effortless and dare I say "analogue" and realistic with acoustic instruments if used with a battery powered PSU which is the only alternative powersupply to the stock wallwart one I have at hand to compare with.
And I do not mean a typical off the shelf switchmode powerbank , which apparently Rob also has some reservations around, but is not interested in designing one himself in spite of his own reservations?

As far as Dave is concerned I have still only ever auditioned Dave with its stock supply, so I have nothing else to compare with.
And I have also only ever heard Dave via headphones. But I have done so ,with some of the most resolving and transparent headphones available until a few years ago. Including both Stax E-stats and Susvara via external headphone amps which Dave then could drive to my satisfaction with an Mscaler added to the equation.
My opinions as always, based on my own direct to source referenced hi res masterfiles from symphonic music recording sessions I have been present at.
But the more effortless and, less agressive, less digital SQ I hear with the battery psu is equally easy to hear via my big electrostatic speakers.
I listen via those big beasts 80- 90 % of the time via Mscaler and Storm BNC cabling since Covid hit.
The advantage being that I do not need to resort only to headphones like I had to during all those wonderful over -winter travels to SE-Asia. But unlike you ,I do miss travelling a lot!

All in all I suspect that apart from needing mscaling to really shine Rob´s dacs may still harbour a bit of an "Achilles Heel" with the switch mode power choice Rob prefers?
Qutest with its cheap micro usb connected wallwart does not impress me. And I still hate every time I have to dis-connect and re-connect that one when the battery runs out on my preferred alternative and I still want to keep listening.
I abhored that flimsly loose little micro usb connection already with Hugo 1 and it absolutely baffles me that he used it with Qutest!
"Cheap" "penny saving" choice on a dac supposed to be used in a home system imho!

But I am still happy that your Stream and Storm BNCs make such a difference over the stock ones with Qutest.
With Storm ,dare I say? to my ears killing more digital or RF power related "nasties" than Stream?
Simply more Effortless.

Interesting also and related to this, to read some of Steve Hulks recent posts on how HE powers his system and Dave but with the somewhat surprising take,
that he obviously ONLY uses Dave/HMS in his "Cave" headphone based system.

And a dCs dac combo in his B&W 801D main speaker system?

A preference Rob I guess will also strongly disagree with?

Irrespective of what Rob has to say on the matter it sure would be interesting to hear Steve Hulk´s system ,the 801D in my experience one of the most impressive conventional BIG boxed speakers I have heard.
I have some recordings made with those beasts in the control room.
PS Could you please update me on how you currently power your Qutest?
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #3,509 of 4,674
Personally all I can say is that my own humble Qutest sounds more effortless and dare I say "analogue" and realistic with acoustic instruments if used with a battery powered PSU which is the only alternative powersupply to the stock wallwart one I have at hand to compare with.
It could be that the stock PSU is dumping noise back into the power board it is plugged into, and the difference you're hearing is actually from the effect of that noise on other components plugged in there as well. There was some discussion about it it a while back.

Jun 22, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #3,510 of 4,674
I don’t want to get Phoenix , just cause it’s 4 g cad$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back