Watts Up...?
Jun 27, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #3,526 of 4,622
This looks great for Hugo 2 and Mojo 2 for desktop applications. I would order one if it was unavailable in the UK. Also, there are measurement problems with the APx555 on USB with ground loops from the analogue oscillator creating issues that would not be present in real situations.
I ordered it, it came within two weeks.

Jun 28, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #3,527 of 4,622
I would tend not to bother with the Topping HS01: https://dranwarali.com/2022/03/10/usb2-isolators/

This is what got me onto the TI ISOUSB211 chip, I'm looking at this server side.

Interested in your USB isolation solution Rob, are you talking current implementation or future? You still seem to recommend isolation in desktop application.

Oh that report doesn't look good for the Topping.

I was referring to the current situation - all the desktop DACs since the launch of Dave have galvanic isolation built in, and the USB decoder is on the source side, with the FPGA receiving isolated I2S data, and the clock comes from the FPGA.

As to the need for galvanic USB isolation, it's down to your system. Battery powered Mojo 2 / Hugo 2 feeding headphones won't need it. But the instant you connect something that is connected to the mains, with the source from the mains, then that's when you may benefit from isolation.

I ordered it, it came within two weeks.

And how well did it perform?

Jun 28, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #3,528 of 4,622
And how well did it perform?
😊
Well I have never really experienced RF or earth loop issues with my Hugo2. Nothing I could reliably tell with my ears.
So, if it is performing well or not , I wouldn't know.
Hugo2 being connected to a desktop PC, and a Samsung Charger, and poweramps.
I bought a pack of clip-on ferrites, and I put them on everything , even RCA to poweramps.
Hugo2 sounds same with or without isolation, wall charger instead of powerbank.
By the way, I did put a link for test and measurements for HS01.
I believe it is a full isolator.
You can borrow it, when you get back.

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2022/03/measurements-topping-hs01-usb-20.html

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #3,529 of 4,622
Last edited:
Jun 29, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #3,531 of 4,622
Additional Topping HS01 measurements that demonstrate it works well enough for a simple $69.00 device that doesn't require mains power:
https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/colorfly-cda-m1-topping-hs-01/ and translated to English here.

https://premiumsound.co.uk/product/headphones/digital-enhancers/topping-hs01/

Would love to hear your findings/measurements, Rob.

I will order one when I get back - or take up @Kentajalli kind offer to loan one. Will be good to try it on Mojo 2, as there are some specific measurement USB issues. And of course run some listening tests in desktop mode with it.

Rob, do you have any plans to be at CanJam London at the end of July?

Unfortunately not. We had booked a cruise around Norway fjords some 3 years ago, and the new date clashes with London CanJam. Hopefully CanJam London date for 2023 will get published soon so I can book it out in my calender. I will be doing Socal in LA though.

Jul 1, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #3,532 of 4,622
I have been testing the Topping HS01 with my maximum spec MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) because it allows me to easily compare the difference with and without the mains (note: the MacBook Pro is NOT my primary source and was only used for testing). The HS01 seems to make an audible difference with the Blu Mk II's USB input and there is now little to no difference when the mains are connected/disconnected. The metal body of the HS01 generates heat while it is in use but the temperature is low and stable. I should also note that the HS01 has a red LED which is very useful in determining if it has been initialized before connecting to the DAC. For a $69.00 in-line USB galvanic isolation device that doesn't require mains power, the HS01 is a product I can endorse a high recommendation-- currently it is the only/best galvanic isolation solution of its size and kind.

I'd love to see Rob Watts' measurements and findings especially with the Blu Mk II. I'd also like to know if it measures differently when it is installed closer to the source output or the DAC input. Topping seems to show it installed on the USB cable closer to the DAC input in their manuals and product photos (Archimago also measured it installed closer to the NUC input side). I plan to test with my Mojo 2 but I rarely use it in desktop mode since I have the DAVE.

Its probably worth ordering one for yourself, Rob. It seems promising and my experience is consistent with Archimago’s.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #3,533 of 4,622
Sure. But don't use the XLR OP's for driving the speaker.
To clarify, I am using the XLR’s output to drive the speakers, but single ended, not balanced - ie 1 (gnd) and 2 (+ve), not 3(-ve ). Is that what you mean? I am confused by what you mean by “XLR OP’s”.

Jul 2, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #3,535 of 4,622
I will order one when I get back - or take up @Kentajalli kind offer to loan one. Will be good to try it on Mojo 2, as there are some specific measurement USB issues. And of course run some listening tests in desktop mode with it.

Unfortunately not. We had booked a cruise around Norway fjords some 3 years ago, and the new date clashes with London CanJam. Hopefully CanJam London date for 2023 will get published soon so I can book it out in my calender. I will be doing Socal in LA though.
"God willing and the Weather permitting", I hope you will enjoy Geiranger Fjord much more than Central London in mid July! Geiranger is stunning in the right weather.
On the other hand ST Martins in the Fields is basically just a short walk from the Canjam Venue and every time I have been there, and that is many times, there have never been ANY amplification or speakers involved. Ever.
Just pure music in a good acoustic often very well performed. Much like your recent test recording but with both much better music and more skilled musicians and LIVE. Though traffic noise can be a bit of a problem, It is not exactly out in the Fields any longer.
But why you chose to go to Florida in the middle of our European Summer even if it may have been a case of a typical
" All the Four Seasons in one day" "British Summer" instead of in winter ,surprised me a bit?
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #3,536 of 4,622
Geirangerfjord does look lovely, I have made a mental note of it.

And you are correct about St Martins in the Fields - no need for sound reinforcement in such a small hall. Next years CanJam I will go.

As to Florida, I guess you haven't spent a summer in Wales. And my teenager kids love the rides....

Jul 3, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #3,537 of 4,622
Geirangerfjord does look lovely, I have made a mental note of it.

And you are correct about St Martins in the Fields - no need for sound reinforcement in such a small hall. Next years CanJam I will go.

As to Florida, I guess you haven't spent a summer in Wales. And my teenager kids love the rides....
Thanks for your reply Rob , good question !
And my answer is a firm No as far as Wales goes.
But I have spent MANY wet summers along the South Coast between Cornwall and Eastbourne and Hastings, but mostly Brighton,which allowed me many London Victoria Day Return tickets and then getting back to Victoria Station from the Royal Albert Hall just in time to catch the last train home again after the Proms.
And apart from the few times when the PA system was accidentally left on ,those responsible for letting that happen,,were more or "less" politely reminded of their error,by Arena Prommers.
No amplification or "speakers" apart from sometimes quite vocal Prommers ever at the Proms in those days. No need for "sound reinforcement" in any good Concert Hall imo.
Enjoy your Holiday and good luck with the weather in Norway.
You may strike it lucky. I did last time I was there, 30+ C and sunny for the full month of July that year. Here in Sweden we are getting into the monsoon month of July when a huge oval shaped cloud normally covers the whole country for about 4 weeks until the industrial worker´s Summer Holiday Season is over,around the first week of August.
Cheers CC

Jul 4, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #3,538 of 4,622
And apart from the few times when the PA system was accidentally left on ,those responsible for letting that happen,,were more or "less" politely reminded of their error,by Arena Prommers.
No amplification or "speakers" apart from sometimes quite vocal Prommers ever at the Proms in those days. No need for "sound reinforcement" in any good Concert Hall imo.
Last night my wife and three daughters were in Hyde Park with me listening to this rock band. YOU TUBE LINK. You might have heard of them?

That reminded me of the other end of the spectrum compared to your experiences at the Proms but which is no less difficult for domestic systems to reproduce. By the way this wasn’t just some 80 year old geezers going through the motions to bolster their pension pots, this was seriously tight and seriously good rock/blues. We are all still grinning from the experience.

Jul 4, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #3,539 of 4,622
Last night my wife and three daughters were in Hyde Park with me listening to this rock band. YOU TUBE LINK. You might have heard of them?

That reminded me of the other end of the spectrum compared to your experiences at the Proms but which is no less difficult for domestic systems to reproduce. By the way this wasn’t just some 80 year old geezers going through the motions to bolster their pension pots, this was seriously tight and seriously good rock/blues. We are all still grinning from the experience.
Oh yes they do ring a somewhat "distant bell" for me too. And amazing that "wrinkled" old Mick is still around.But I basically checked out from most POP and Rock Music already in my mid to late teens for musical reasons.
But I still have some of my orginal Beatles LPs that I sometimes listen to, though mainly for nostalgic reasons these days. And Paul M whose music I already liked much more than anything by the Stones back then ,has turned 80?
And quite frankly as far as the Rolling Stones go, I never liked their "HARD ROCK " even in my youth.
But I have to admit that I heard one of the VERY few Stones songs that ever appealed to me "Keith don´t go" in its acoustic version, via a quite good system in Singapore a few years ago, and got a bit nostalgic then too And yes " Angie" isn´t half bad either. But Rock Music is not on my personal menu .
My daily musical menu is quite a varied one, apart from Western Classical ranging from Medieval Times to the great composers both past and present, and constantly discovering more and more present day Contemporary Great Music ,very often by imho very talented female composers whose music in some cases have chances to survive for generations to come ,like some of the old classical composers. I am looking forward to hearing what the BBC Proms will let me discover this season, even if it will only be via BBC Radio 3. But I will tune in from the 15 of July as always.Not very likely that I will go there live, as things look with both Covid on the rise again? and "Proper Promming" no more an option!
I also listen to lots of Indian /Asian Classical and "World Music" with one very important ingredient most of the time, unamplified Acoustic Instruments. Not the best SQ ,but YouTube is a great source of new musical discoveries for me. And Rob Watts´ magic Mscaler with your Storm BNC cables make even many YouTube tracks very enjoyable . Cheers CC

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #3,540 of 4,622
After reading many posts regarding the superiority of optical connection, I finally modded my PC to get optical out.
Now here is an issue:
- The optical out has 44, 48, 96 and 192 kHz out.
What happens with 88 kHz stuff, or DSD material transcoded to PCM? i.e. 358 and 384 kHz?
No bit perfect option?
FWIW, does sound a little smoother, not much, a little.
On any DAC! I have tried it on Hugo2 and a Topping DX7 pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back