Watts Up...?
May 12, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #2,431 of 4,636
No analog inputs as the technology operates on dac itself, it's the same as output from current chord dac lineup but with higher power.

In this case analog inputs would need to be digitized which doesn't make sense i believe.
Don't be so hard on CHORD.
Bob Stuart (Mr. Watts favourite engineer) of Meridian Audio, even included the loudspeaker to the set (DAC+Xovers+Amps+Loudspeakers) back in the late eighties I believe!
Once you aim for ultimate sound quality, analogue, BT or phonographs etc. will have no place in the chain.
I suppose Mr. Watts could include Wifi with his upcoming creation, to do away with physical connection once and for all.
No electrical noise, Asynchronous buffered input, best of all worlds.
Mono-block?
well that would be something to consider . . .

May 12, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #2,432 of 4,636
I suppose Mr. Watts could include Wifi with his upcoming creation, to do away with physical connection once and for all.
No electrical noise

Except that puts a radio frequency transmitter in the same box. No thank you.

May 12, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #2,433 of 4,636
Except that puts a radio frequency transmitter in the same box. No thank you.
Tell that to 2Go and Poly!
don't put them in the same box then.

Edit:
I am sorry @Triode User , I forgot you were in Hifi Cable business. :gs1000smile:

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #2,435 of 4,636
:) My wife is also looking forward to me to get rid of my class A amps / ”room-heaters”. But please ....
count yourself lucky.
I have Tube based OTL monoblocks .
very warm sound in winter months!
( 4 Russian MIG tubes per side).

May 12, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #2,436 of 4,636
Don't be so hard on CHORD.
Bob Stuart (Mr. Watts favourite engineer) of Meridian Audio, even included the loudspeaker to the set (DAC+Xovers+Amps+Loudspeakers) back in the late eighties I believe!
Once you aim for ultimate sound quality, analogue, BT or phonographs etc. will have no place in the chain.
No electrical noise, Asynchronous buffered input, best of all worlds.
Mono-block?
well that would be something to consider . . .
I'm not blaming chord or Rob in any way. I understand the idea and I'm waiting for the amps to come.

May 13, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #2,437 of 4,636
Thanks for the update Rob, very much looking forward to the DX amps. :) My wife is also looking forward to me to get rid of my class A amps / ”room-heaters”. But please design them with regular passive cooling and no fans. If you like listening at low levels, fans can be a big problem.
Fans in an amp OMG!
I´d much rather keep my room-heater amp for ever, than buy a new one with a fan.
And this past winter,my first in Sweden for 20 years," gratias a Covid 19",it also did a good job not only delivering clean undistored class A sound but also adding extra temperature to the room day and night.

Some years ago I had an OPPO 105 player on home loan.
With the kind of music I listen to it was robbing the music of 10-15 dB of dynamic range.
I simply don´t understand how anyone who cares about HIFI and dynamic range can put a nosiy fan in ANY hifi product.
Suffice to say I returned the OPPO next day and asked the dealer, is this some kind of joke?
It had a fan, a very loud fan!
Cheers CC

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #2,438 of 4,636
Fans in an amp OMG!
I´d much rather keep my room-heater amp for ever, than buy a new one with a fan.
And this past winter,my first in Sweden for 20 years," gratias a Covid 19",it also did a good job not only delivering clean undistored class A sound but also adding extra temperature to the room day and night.

With the kind of music I listen to it was robbing the music of 10-15 dB of dynamic range.
I simply don´t understand how anyone who cares about HIFI and dynamic range can put a nosiy fan in ANY hifi product.
Suffice to say I returned the OPPO next day and asked the dealer, is this some kind of joke?
Cheers CC
Well, they don't have to be noisy!
My valve amps get hot, very hot.
4 large output valves per side, class A is set at 45W plate dissipation each + about 50W heater each.
this is enough to degrade my paper-in-oil capacitors.
I have a large 5 inch computer fan in each amp, running slowly enough to be silent, but move enough air upwards, to keep the passive components cool enough.
If I could do it , Rob Watts and Chord would have no problems .

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #2,439 of 4,636
Fans in an amp OMG!

Cheers CC
Completely agree about noisy fans, but your room-heater amp, would be a more efficient room-heater if it had a fan...

May 13, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #2,440 of 4,636
4 large output valves per side, class A is set at 45W plate dissipation each + about 80W heater each.
I have a large 5 inch computer fan in each amp, running slowly enough to be silent, but move enough air upwards, to keep the passive components cool enough.
If I could do it , Rob Watts and Chord would have no problem.

4 large output valves per side, class A is set at 45W plate dissipation each + about 80W heater each.
If I could do it , Rob Watts and Chord would have no problems .

Completely agree about noisy fans, but your room-heater amp, would be a more efficient room-heater if it had a fan...
Good one,
But I have to say as Mrs Fawlty used to say "I Know Basil, I know!"
And its primary function is to deliver good SQ and a large dynamic range.
My two main heaters are electric heating and a fireplace.
A bit odd to discuss this today, the first day in 8 months that I have not only been to the beach but also had a quick dip. No swim ,12 degrees C! But the air temp was 24C and sunny!
Cheers CC

May 13, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #2,441 of 4,636
Good one,
A bit odd to discuss this today, the first day in 8 months that I have not only been to the beach but also had a quick dip. No swim ,12 degrees C! But the air temp was 24C and sunny!
Cheers CC
you could join this fundraising, but the water temperature keeps getting described as baltic. :wink:
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10222427740075633&set=p.10222427740075633

May 14, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #2,444 of 4,636
Good one,
Cheers CC
A few weeks short of Winter here … tomorrow’s forecast 24 degrees … water 23.7 degrees … 😃

May 18, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #2,445 of 4,636
Rob,

I have been trying some DSD tracks with my HMS/TT2, and found them to be soft and quite spacious. I’m wondering how the HMS sorts out the DSD. I think my software (UAPP on Android) sends it as DoP. It takes quite a while before it plays (on the Android), even at DSD64. In fact, the higher resolutions won’t play at all. Neither will the DXD.

Is the decoding and processing for DSD similar to 44.1/16, in that there is significant accurate reconstruction of the original sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back