Watts Up...?
Feb 12, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #1,696 of 4,636
Yes we use a standard RC5 type code for the remote.
I fly to NYC on Friday, looking forward to CanJam!

Many thanks for this. My discipline suffered and could not wait until after CanJam to release the Mojo beast.

After opening the Mojo package and charging, I plug the USB IR Receiver into the Mojo after it connects via optical.

I can program the IR Receiver on the application level, but having no success.

Is the USB port still active when optical takes priority?

I'm considering experimenting with RC5 IR Receivers, but trying to get the USB IR Receiver I already own to work.

If USB port active, any hints if VOL+, VOL-, PWR on/off is mapped to say a keyboard key (A-Z, 0-1, +, -, etc.) or media key?

Cheers

Feb 12, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #1,697 of 4,636
Many thanks for this. My discipline suffered and could not wait until after CanJam to release the Mojo beast.

After opening the Mojo package and charging, I plug the USB IR Receiver into the Mojo after it connects via optical.

I can program the IR Receiver on the application level, but having no success.

Is the USB port still active when optical takes priority?

I'm considering experimenting with RC5 IR Receivers, but trying to get the USB IR Receiver I already own to work.

If USB port active, any hints if VOL+, VOL-, PWR on/off is mapped to say a keyboard key (A-Z, 0-1, +, -, etc.) or media key?

Cheers
Explained in the Mojo FAQ I think.
The USB port has priority, and will be selected if the VBus (5V) pin is live, signifying that there is music data.
If VBUS is not live, then I think it is optical then coaxial (but need to check).

Feb 12, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #1,698 of 4,636
Explained in the Mojo FAQ I think.
The USB port has priority, and will be selected if the VBus (5V) pin is live, signifying that there is music data.
If VBUS is not live, then I think it is optical then coaxial (but need to check).

Thanks, but this isn't for USB Audio. It's for a USB IR Receiver. I'm attempting to control the Volume and Power buttons on the Mojo with an IR Remote Control ala Hugo2.

If the USB goes inactive, then I can't push IR data.

Just because the Mojo does not have a physical IR Receiver doesn't mean the underlying code doesn't have the capability.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #1,699 of 4,636
Thanks, but this isn't for USB Audio. It's for a USB IR Receiver. I'm attempting to control the Volume and Power buttons on the Mojo with an IR Remote Control ala Hugo2.

Just because the Mojo does not have a physical IR Receiver doesn't mean the underlying code doesn't have the capability.
Do I understand you correctly - you are feeding the music in via optical input, but you want to use an IR receiver to control the Mojo via the usb socket at the same time?

I don't think it can be done. Surely only one input can be live at any one time, and all the inputs are first reclocked using a DPLL, and then fed into the FPGA where they are processed.
I doubt that there is IR control code in the FPGA, because there are not enough spare gates that are already used to process the music data.
Only Rob has the detailed design knowledge about the Mojo, so he is the best person to advise you further.

Feb 13, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #1,700 of 4,636
Do I understand you correctly - you are feeding the music in via optical input, but you want to use an IR receiver to control the Mojo via the usb socket at the same time?

I don't think it can be done. Surely only one input can be live at any one time, and all the inputs are first reclocked using a DPLL, and then fed into the FPGA where they are processed.
I doubt that there is IR control code in the FPGA, because there are not enough spare gates that are already used to process the music data.
Only Rob has the detailed design knowledge about the Mojo, so he is the best person to advise you further.

Yes. Since my Mojo is brand new, I don't want to open it up to try to attach an IR Receiver internally. I'm trying to exhaust the USB IR route if it's a possibility.

On my Hugo2, I use an IR remote to control native Chord volume and navigation of music files. I was hoping to replicate for the Mojo, but first roadblock is the ability to control remote native Chord volume via IR remote.

I suspect cost savings may have been involved in no physical IR receiver and remote control for the Mojo. I think it's a possibility to physically attach a IR receiver and using the H2 remote if the underlying system supports.

Feb 13, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #1,701 of 4,636

Unfortunately, USB does not support any forms of command - it's just audio data, just like SPDIF.

Feb 21, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #1,706 of 4,636
Hi Rob,

If I use JRiver's room correction DSP to fix a headphone left-right balance issue before the audio data gets to the Qutest (or any of your dacs), will that negatively affect sound quality?

Thanks!

Feb 21, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #1,707 of 4,636
Hi Rob,

If I use JRiver's room correction DSP to fix a headphone left-right balance issue before the audio data gets to the Qutest (or any of your dacs), will that negatively affect sound quality?

Thanks!
It’ll be interesting to see what Rob Watts says. In the past, I think he has said that any DSP would lose a bit of transparency, assuming you’re keeping the sample rate the same and the dithering is applied appropriately within JRiver.
But the reason I’m commenting is that if you’re noticing a left right balance issue, it probably is related to the volume control of your headphone amplifier. And this creates a problem because at different analog volume settings, you’re probably going to get slightly different left right balance. So if you’re going to correct it by DSP, then you would have to fix the analog volume on your headphone amp and then you’d have to use digital volume control within JRiver which is excellent but would still lead to a further loss in transparency. Or you’ll have to set a different left right balance DSP for every analog volume setting for your headphone amp.
like I said, would be interesting to see what Rob Watts think.

Feb 21, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #1,708 of 4,636
Hi All.

Some record companies are recording direct to DSD256 eg. SoundMirror for Reference Recordings. As I understand it, they then transfer to DXD to edit then back again to DSD256 and other formats. The DXD file is sometimes available for purchase. With Chord DAC, I understand PCM and therefore DXD would be preferable. Would this rule still apply if the recording was originally done in DSD256?

G

Feb 22, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #1,709 of 4,636
Hi Rob,

Thanks!

Yes any simple volume alteration will degrade depth and detail resolution, if truncation is involved in the process. Dithering to restore the bit depth is not transparent; the only way I have done it is with 705/768 kHz and to use aggressive 11th order noise shaping - and this will only work if your file is at 705/768 kHz. DSP presently done is also not 100% transparent either; the problem is as the signal approaches the resolution limit of the system, and the internal truncation kicks in, the filter behaviour changes, giving you different amplitude and phase for small signals.

Hi All.

Some record companies are recording direct to DSD256 eg. SoundMirror for Reference Recordings. As I understand it, they then transfer to DXD to edit then back again to DSD256 and other formats. The DXD file is sometimes available for purchase. With Chord DAC, I understand PCM and therefore DXD would be preferable. Would this rule still apply if the recording was originally done in DSD256?

G

So if the mastering is done with DXD then you are always better to use that file - always try to get the mastered file whatever the format.

Feb 24, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #1,710 of 4,636
Hi Rob, I have a ridiculous question.

For some reasons, the lengh of the BNC cables, between mscaler and any chord dual Bnc inputs dac, weren't the same, say 1m vs 1.2m, will the dac able to sync the different arrival times of the signals.

TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back