WattGate, Marinco,Furutech,Oyaide,etc real world differences?
Feb 7, 2007 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

eyeteeth

Headphoneus Supremus
I was going to put together a power cord (just for fun, and curiosity) and when looking at parts options stumbled when confronted by the options. I'm not a placebo guy but I do believe in simple solid connections being a sonic benefit (for example, removing my spades & bananas and going bare wire has been my best most recent upgrade).

For anyone who has examined the construction of the various AC connectors, is there genuine engineering superiority of one make over another? I also noticed as models climb within a brand it amounts to different metal upon metals:Nickel over copper, Rhodium over silver, Palladium over gold, etc. Does which metal used matter? The Oyaide site says

"A.) Silver/Rhodium – Pure, strong, solid, uncolored reproduction – providing a very extended sound field.

B.) Direct Gold - bold, sweet, luxurious, dynamic and lucid character

C.) Gold/Palladium – the character of Gold with an added vibrancy and a cooler, fresher feeling"

I copy it just for laughs. "cooler, fresher feeling"!
Are they selling power cords or deodorant?
biggrin.gif

Trying to gather info from the manufacturer isn't much help as it's mostly audiophile marketing language. (I noticed that "Cryogenic Treatment" has been replaced with "Deep Cryogenic Treatment" and some are even getting double Cryogenic Treatment. I think "Quadruple Cryogenic Treatment" has a certain poetry).

I suppose I'm asking the science guys more than the burn-in guys if they think there could be any real benefits offered by the moderately more expensive connectors like the $40 gold based Furutech over the $30 copper based Furutech. I'm looking for the sweet spot in construction....before the deep Quadruple voodoo puts a spell on me.
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 40
I also built my own power cables and did alot of research into the subject. Over at www.audioasylum.com people swear that the plugs ends make a big difference in sound. I just went with the standard copper Wattgate IEC and wall plugs. You could spend $$$ on just the plug ends alone.

FYI, Marinco and Wattgate plugs are essentially the same. Marinco makes high-end "audiophile" versions of their plugs for Kimber Kable under the "Wattgate" brand. I've owned them both and they look almost identical. However, the Wattgates have better finished plug blades, stainless steel (non-magnetic) screws, and use higher quality plastic bodies compared to their Marinco counterparts. Wattgates also costs a few bucks more per plug. I think its worth the meager extra cost.

I built clones of the Signal Cable MagicPower and VH Audio Flavor 1 power cords and saved myself money. I'm pretty happy with the results in terms of sound and quality.

Feb 8, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #3 of 40
I received two Marinco (the 5266) and IEC, today fom Parts express, and all I can tell you is that I feel really disapointed of the quality, bare cheap cooper all around, the plugs feel cheap, and the screws feel cheap as well, I have an Eagle that I got from Home depot for cents that feel far more heavy than those two....

Honestly any hospital grade plug I have seen give them a really good run for the money you paid for them....I paid for both more than what I paid for the whole cable from Quail, and the plugs in the Quail beat it any time....

Feb 8, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 40
Quote:

is there genuine engineering superiority of one make over another?

Simple answer in Wattgate terms...No...
Wattgate (owned by Kimber cable) has this thing they like to call "Audio Grade" funny part of this thing is it's a registered trademark of Kimber cable..no other connector company can use it..lol
its marketing only, no such Grade as "Audio Grade", just a spin on the Green dot "Hospital Grade" stuff.

Wattgate is nothing special..in fact wattgate (or Kimber for that matter) does not build the connectors. they buy them off Marinco and re-brand them, but get this..to make the story even better Marinco does not make the connectors..instead Pass and Seymour makes and sells to Marinco,which in turn sells to Wattgate..only difference in a Wattgate over a Marinco is the name on the plastic and the higher price to you (the consumer).

As far as Oyaide is concerned I only have found one actual company in Japan the produces A/C plugs.. There are other plugs on Ebay said to be Oyaide fakes but I would doubt that honestly. Oyaide may (or may not) plate and polish them after they buy from the one maker..
I may actually go and test one of them to a real Oyaide some day..I don't wanna throw away $100 on the test though.

Want a great plugs then go Marinco 5266, and Schurter IEC end (Schurter IEC ends are used by a lot of cable companies like BPT,Cardas,Etc

Feb 8, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #5 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wattgate (owned by Kimber cable) has this thing they like to call "Audio Grade" funny part of this thing is it's a registered trademark of Kimber cable..no other connector company can use it..lol
its marketing only, no such Grade as "Audio Grade", just a spin on the Green dot "Hospital Grade" stuff.

Wattgate is nothing special..in fact wattgate (or Kimber for that matter) does not build the connectors. they buy them off Marinco and re-brand them, but get this..to make the story even better Marinco does not make the connectors..instead Pass and Seymour makes and sells to Marinco,which in turn sells to Wattgate..only difference in a Wattgate over a Marinco is the name on the plastic and the higher price to you (the consumer).

As far as Oyaide is concerned I only have found one actual company in Japan the produces A/C plugs.. There are other plugs on Ebay said to be Oyaide fakes but I would doubt that honestly. Oyaide may (or may not) plate and polish them after they buy from the one maker..
I may actually go and test one of them to a real Oyaide some day..I don't wanna throw away $100 on the test though.

Want a great plugs then go Marinco 5266, and Schurter IEC end (Schurter IEC ends are used by a lot of cable companies like BPT,Cardas,Etc

I say you trademark "audiophile nail polish seal". Does green polish sound better than red one?
Benefits:
1. Reduce EMI/RF interference from entering into the plug.
2. Align the negative ions inside the plug to create a "electron tunnel" for better electron transmission
3. Protect the plug from degrading over time from humidity, temperature, oxygen.
4. Seal the cable from oxygen molecules from entering into the cable to prevent oxidation of the cable strends
5. Help retain cable resale value since the seal is proprietary and can be used as indication of the genuine cable.

biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #6 of 40

Feb 8, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #7 of 40
Feb 8, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I built clones of the Signal Cable MagicPower and VH Audio Flavor 1 power cords and saved myself money. I'm pretty happy with the results in terms of sound and quality.

There are a few recipes around. I'd like to make http://www.takefiveaudio.com/HTML/how_to_star_quad.html
http://www.audiotweaks.com/diy/bobcrump_pc/page01.htm
The Flavor cords look good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received two Marinco (the 5266) and IEC, today fom Parts express, and all I can tell you is that I feel really disapointed of the quality, bare cheap cooper all around, the plugs feel cheap, and the screws feel cheap as well, I have an Eagle that I got from Home depot for cents that feel far more heavy than those two....

Honestly any hospital grade plug I have seen give them a really good run for the money you paid for them....I paid for both more than what I paid for the whole cable from Quail, and the plugs in the Quail beat it any time....

Bummer. Possible sonics aside, built quality is definitely important.

Quote:

That's hilarious, and typical, and sad. Thanks for that info. Schurter is used in the Bob Crump cord linked above. I looked up Pass & Seymour, which I hadn't heard of before,...fascinating.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say you trademark "audiophile nail polish seal". Does green polish sound better than red one?
Benefits:
1. Reduce EMI/RF interference from entering into the plug.
2. Align the negative ions inside the plug to create a "electron tunnel" for better electron transmission
3. Protect the plug from degrading over time from humidity, temperature, oxygen.
4. Seal the cable from oxygen molecules from entering into the cable to prevent oxidation of the cable strends
5. Help retain cable resale value since the seal is proprietary and can be used as indication of the genuine cable.

biggrin.gif

Why do I think nail polish as a sealant would work fine? Because I was curious about the whole issue of oxidation, our non-air tight copper items, asked and nail polish was mentioned by someone somewhere.

Feb 8, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #9 of 40
Feb 8, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #10 of 40
I use furutech on my own build powercords and i am very satiedfied with them. I use rhodium and gold plated versions. Build quality is excellent. I read alot of people don't like the wattgate plugs that much...

Feb 8, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #11 of 40
There is a pronounced difference between the Black Sand Violet Z1 with standard Marinco ends and when equipped with Oyaide plugs. I wrote it up in my shoot-out review.

So, yes, I would say the ends you use make a difference.

Feb 8, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.lessloss.com/lessloss_power_cable.html

it probably means that it reduces the most HF pollution in the cable, so 079 is technically better than 046.

However some people like certain distortions so it depends on your taste really.

I'm definitely anti-distortion. "Hysteresis" was a word I looked up some time ago on an obviously related matter. Selecting phenomenon to be in favor for or to battle against in an ad campaign to sway audiophiles is par for the course but did they have to pick "Hysteresis"!
600smile.gif

The pity is that a company may in fact make a good product that is not too far overpriced but then they have to have a bunch of pseudo science in their sales literature. I'd love to see a legitimate measurement of before and after the introduction of a power cord.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use furutech on my own build powercords and i am very satiedfied with them. I use rhodium and gold plated versions. Build quality is excellent. I read alot of people don't like the wattgate plugs that much...

Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a pronounced difference between the Black Sand Violet Z1 with standard Marinco ends and when equipped with Oyaide plugs. I wrote it up in my shoot-out review.

So, yes, I would say the ends you use make a difference.

I'm certainly going to pass on the Wattgate/Marinco. I'll probably try Furutech. The Oyaide I'll decline trying on a first time project. They're awfully pricey. I'd want to hear the same cord, a Oyaide versus Furutech before buying.

Feb 8, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

I didn't hear a difference between Marinco and Wattgate, that explains why! I'm using Marinco with my cut to pieces Valhallas.

Feb 8, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do I think nail polish as a sealant would work fine? Because I was curious about the whole issue of oxidation, our non-air tight copper items, asked and nail polish was mentioned by someone somewhere.

uh...I meant that as a joke. wow...you didn't actually think I was serious did u?
k1000smile.gif

Feb 8, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
uh...I meant that as a joke. wow...you didn't actually think I was serious did u?
k1000smile.gif

I thought you might be joking but thought there may be some truth to it. I know I read someone else mentioning it. Where'd you come up with the idea?
I had already decided against it and used Caig Deoxit. More manly.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back