WattGate, Marinco,Furutech,Oyaide,etc real world differences?
Feb 8, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #16 of 40
The longer you play this game, the easier it is to lose the overall "trees-in-forest" perspective. Different wires and connectors certainly do sound different, which I have confirmed over and over the years by experience. However, if you start to spend $$$ on things like connectors and obsess over them, it's more difficult to concentrate on the basics of a good audio system.

I have listened to way too many multi-kilobuck systems wired with equally multi-kilobuck, extremely well-reviewed wires and connectors that sound like horse doo-doo. Then once in a while, I get to listen to modest components, well-matched and placed, wired with cheap, generic wires with generic connectors that sound fabulous.

So, while I strongly believe in cable/connector sound differences, I also believe one does not need to necessarily have Oyaides or what-have-you to have a great-sounding system.

Feb 8, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say you trademark "audiophile nail polish seal". Does green polish sound better than red one?
Benefits:
1. Reduce EMI/RF interference from entering into the plug.
2. Align the negative ions inside the plug to create a "electron tunnel" for better electron transmission
3. Protect the plug from degrading over time from humidity, temperature, oxygen.
4. Seal the cable from oxygen molecules from entering into the cable to prevent oxidation of the cable strends
5. Help retain cable resale value since the seal is proprietary and can be used as indication of the genuine cable.

biggrin.gif

your joking with this right? or do you really believe in such Marketing B/S?

EDIT...dam i thought you were serious also...lol damm1!!!!!

good lie, maybe you shoudl work for Wattgate

Feb 8, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlhm5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gold Coated Power Plugs - Pair M/F - $23 - Free shipping

[/URL]

those are the Oyaide "fakes" I talked about earlier..
People on AA slam these plugs but no real tests have been done to see if these are fake or real. It can be done easily but the price is a real Oyaide plug and a "fake" plug which will be ruined in the test..who wants to put up $100+ for such a test? I would but now at this time just cant..maybe in the future. I have a firm belief these eBay "fake" plugs come from the same manufacture in Japan..but the question is does Oyaide plate and polish them afterwards themselves or no?..again it can be answered in the testing.

I have a few Oyaide SWO-XXX outlets and i swear by them! amazing quality and difference in sonics. I would die to get my hands on something like the outlets for the ebay prices..then again who wouldnt?
cool.gif

Feb 8, 2007 at 10:01 AM Post #20 of 40
If you are drawing in a 120-240V AC signal then convert it to DC, which is then stored in a couple of reservoir capacitors until needed, how are these plugs and power cords making these stored DC voltages sound "better"?
If people can 'hear" a difference, the power supply in their equipment must be of very poor construction. All that fancy talk about the mains plug and mains lead making the audio sound different is unfortunately the biggest rip off in the audio field. I feel ashamed my fellow audiophiles are so gullible, and are willing to defend the thickness of their plank.

Feb 8, 2007 at 10:17 AM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
those are the Oyaide "fakes" I talked about earlier..
People on AA slam these plugs but no real tests have been done to see if these are fake or real. It can be done easily but the price is a real Oyaide plug and a "fake" plug which will be ruined in the test..who wants to put up $100+ for such a test? I would but now at this time just cant..maybe in the future. I have a firm belief these eBay "fake" plugs come from the same manufacture in Japan..but the question is does Oyaide plate and polish them afterwards themselves or no?..again it can be answered in the testing.

I have a few Oyaide SWO-XXX outlets and i swear by them! amazing quality and difference in sonics. I would die to get my hands on something like the outlets for the ebay prices..then again who wouldnt?
cool.gif

the fake ones were made in china. im pretty sure of it. There is absolutely no way to tell them apart until you fix it to your cable. The fake one will crack sometime when u screw it.

Feb 8, 2007 at 11:21 AM Post #22 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought you might be joking but thought there may be some truth to it. I know I read someone else mentioning it. Where'd you come up with the idea?
I had already decided against it and used Caig Deoxit. More manly.
biggrin.gif

4 year of EE and you can come up with all kinds of technical jargons for the 'uninitiated'
evil_smiley.gif
Plus I work with marketing anyway. ...
rs1smile.gif

Feb 8, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are drawing in a 120-240V AC signal then convert it to DC, which is then stored in a couple of reservoir capacitors until needed, how are these plugs and power cords making these stored DC voltages sound "better"?
If people can 'hear" a difference, the power supply in their equipment must be of very poor construction. All that fancy talk about the mains plug and mains lead making the audio sound different is unfortunately the biggest rip off in the audio field. I feel ashamed my fellow audiophiles are so gullible, and are willing to defend the thickness of their plank.

The capacitor isn't like a car that you fill with gas. It depends on how you fill the capacitor. Imagine a car tank with holes in it, it depends on in what direction and in what speed you pour the gas inside, you don't pour the gas smoothly either, you pour it in waves! Since the gas is used up in real time it all gets very complex.
With the capacitor if you change the wave you get a different sound. It's easy to hear with a PS Audio Power Plant where you can choose the frequency.

Feb 8, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would tend to agree with you but regardless of what church I believe in I did hear a difference using "some" power cables on "some" gear. The biggest difference I heard was the Dedicated line when I first installed it, the second biggest Difference i heard was going from a $40.00 wall outlet to the Oyaide SWO-XXX. in fact that a "upgrade" I would put my ears on..really.
to me I believe power comes second behind room acoustics..its the blood of you setup while the acoustics are your God/earth. hell I believe if you have great acoustics with great power you really don't need Big buck Gear to have a Amazing sound system..

I think with the Outlet's its more about Contact, tighter the better and what is the contact plated with "may" make a difference or "may not"..I have not tried to figure out the "may" or "may not" cause what I hear with My Oyaide SWO-XXX and my dedicated A/C line is proof enough...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the fake ones were made in china. im pretty sure of it. There is absolutely no way to tell them apart until you fix it to your cable. The fake one will crack sometime when u screw it.

HOw do you know they are made in China? it says Japan on the listings..not that they can not lie..hehe
there is an Absolute way you can tell them apart by Lab/scientific equipment, check out what each one is made of,thickness,the pits/grooves in the pins,and then compare a real Oyaide to the Ebay or "fake as they call them..
that would be a fact using the Equipment also...no ifs ands or buts.

Feb 8, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

The biggest difference I heard was the Dedicated line when I first installed it, the second biggest Difference i heard was going from a $40.00 wall outlet to the Oyaide SWO-XXX. in fact that a "upgrade" I would put my ears on..really

What was the $40 wall outlet?

Has anyone tried a Neutrik Powercon for the wall? You can't unplug it live but it's a better connection.

Feb 8, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What was the $40 wall outlet?

Has anyone tried a Neutrik Powercon for the wall? You can't unplug it live but it's a better connection.

it was a Furutech I think (off the top of my head) fp-15.
I have not tried a powercon..I will look into it.

On your Vahalla's..
I think (off the top of my head) the come with Wattgates big bad plugs right?
and you didnt hear a difference using the vahalla cable between the Watt's and the Marinco's? and what Marinco's are you using..

I would love to compare plugs on a Vahalla cable...yummy
wink.gif

Feb 8, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

it was a Furutech I think (off the top of my head) fp-15.
I have not tried a powercon..I will look into it.

On your Vahalla's..
I think (off the top of my head) the come with Wattgates big bad plugs right?
and you didnt hear a difference using the vahalla cable between the Watt's and the Marinco's? and what Marinco's are you using..

I would love to compare plugs on a Vahalla cable...yummy
wink.gif

Yes, Valhallas came with Wattgates.

On two of my Valhalla cables I'm using Marinco which came with Vishnus. I compared Marinco vs Wattgate on both Vishnu and Valhalla cables and didn't hear a difference. I have switched the Wattgates and Marincos around in my system and didn't hear a difference.

These are the connectors I have:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=110-402
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=110-430

Feb 9, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #29 of 40
Although questions about connector designs and metals superiorities with regard to sonics were unanswered, I appreciate and thank each of you who took the time to reply with your thoughts. I'll get Furutech for its better build quality.

Feb 9, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #30 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, Valhallas came with Wattgates.

On two of my Valhalla cables I'm using Marinco which came with Vishnus. I compared Marinco vs Wattgate on both Vishnu and Valhalla cables and didn't hear a difference. I have switched the Wattgates and Marincos around in my system and didn't hear a difference.

These are the connectors I have:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=110-402
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=110-430

Why don't you try furutech connectors instead and see if you hear any difference? I read alot on this forum that people don't like wattgate as much as they like furutech or other brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back