Water water water....ugh
Jul 26, 2009 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 85

KONAKONA

Banned
Joined
Feb 25, 2009
Posts
1,480
Likes
11
Right, thought the best place to ask this is my favorite headphone forum, naturally.

Basically, I hate water. I hate the way it tastes and if I try to drink more than a gulp or so it starts to make me gag. It's been like this for as long as I can remember and I've gotten around it by just not drinking any water, basically.

And of course when I was at the doctor about a month back for a physical I was told that I have a low amount of blood in my body (No clue what the special name for it is). I did a little bit of research on it (just now) and one of the main causes is simply not drinking enough water.

Now I've tried tap water and water from our filter and they both taste horrible. I also remember trying some of that flavored water a long time ago and although it was different, it was also horrible. I'm thinking I might try some form of mineral water, but even if I did like that the stuff is quite expensive.

Anyone got any ideas?
 
Jul 26, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 85

tintin47

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 16, 2008
Posts
2,007
Likes
13
I would ask a doctor. Just see what he says. Maybe you could try hypnotism or the like? I don't know. That is a strange problem to have.
 
Jul 26, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #6 of 85

DLeeWebb

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 18, 2004
Posts
79,952
Likes
10,457
Location
Pennsylvania, United States
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right, thought the best place to ask this is my favorite headphone forum, naturally.

Basically, I hate water. I hate the way it tastes and if I try to drink more than a gulp or so it starts to make me gag. It's been like this for as long as I can remember and I've gotten around it by just not drinking any water, basically.

And of course when I was at the doctor about a month back for a physical I was told that I have a low amount of blood in my body (No clue what the special name for it is). I did a little bit of research on it (just now) and one of the main causes is simply not drinking enough water.

Now I've tried tap water and water from our filter and they both taste horrible. I also remember trying some of that flavored water a long time ago and although it was different, it was also horrible. I'm thinking I might try some form of mineral water, but even if I did like that the stuff is quite expensive.

Anyone got any ideas?



Take it from a guy who has lived in a more or less continuous state of dehydration, (...and I have been told by several doctors that most people are in the same state...) DRINK WATER. I have had thirteen kidney stones. After you have a few you will drink water, trust me. I wasn't a water drinker until my wife and I had a reverse-osmosis system installed in our house. It really did make a difference in the taste of the water. My doctor recommended that when not drinking water, I should drink lemonade (acidifies the urine...). Avoid fluids that are dark in color. (I was an Iced Tea drinker, no more!) Urological recommendation from my doctor, of course, your situation is probably different...
beerchug.gif
 
Jul 26, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 85

robm321

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 12, 2006
Posts
7,971
Likes
208
One good way is to carry a water bottle around with you. When you think of it take a drink. You'll probably do it without thinking about it. The though of drinking water doesn't appeal to me either, but I drink coffee and coke, so I need to force myself too drink it as well.
 
Jul 26, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #10 of 85

Uncle Erik

Uncle Exotic
Joined
Mar 18, 2006
Posts
22,596
Likes
504
Are you used to flavored/sugared drinks? You should get off those - we're not meant to be pouring sugar and chemicals into ourselves when we're simply thirsty.

As for not liking water... that's one of the strangest things I've ever heard. Try it very cold and experiment with various filters. Water is odorless and flavorless, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

But it's essential to drink water. I've always liked it, but switched to water for about 99% of what I drink about a year ago. It made a huge difference in my life. It stripped out a tremendous amount of unneeded calories, which helped with weight loss. I also switched to tapwater and take it with me in a Sigg bottle. Not buying canned/bottled beverages started saving me around $150-$200 a month. So I feel better, lost weight and have more money. What's not to like?

If you can't get past the water aversion on your own, I'd recommend an appointment with a behavioral psychologist. All living creatures drink water. This isn't normal and the assorted heavily advertised, sugary and/or chemical-laden "drinks" are not healthy, no matter what the ads say.
 
Jul 26, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 85

KONAKONA

Banned
Joined
Feb 25, 2009
Posts
1,480
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What *do* you drink? Soda? Tea? Coffee?

I've never met anyone who did not like the taste of pure water! Have you tried bottled water?



Milk. I've been drinking about a gallon or so a day, give or take a bit for years now.

I'm picky too, has to be good 2% or whole.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If u want cheaper solution and still make the water taste better than boiled tap, try using Brita.


The filter-pitcher thing we have is brita. Don't taste too good.
frown.gif


Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about sports drinks? There are a zillion flavors.


I used to drink those from time to time but I was never quite fond of the flavor. I don't think I've drank any in a while....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you used to flavored/sugared drinks? You should get off those - we're not meant to be pouring sugar and chemicals into ourselves when we're simply thirsty.

As for not liking water... that's one of the strangest things I've ever heard. Try it very cold and experiment with various filters. Water is odorless and flavorless, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

But it's essential to drink water. I've always liked it, but switched to water for about 99% of what I drink about a year ago. It made a huge difference in my life. It stripped out a tremendous amount of unneeded calories, which helped with weight loss. I also switched to tapwater and take it with me in a Sigg bottle. Not buying canned/bottled beverages started saving me around $150-$200 a month. So I feel better, lost weight and have more money. What's not to like?

If you can't get past the water aversion on your own, I'd recommend an appointment with a behavioral psychologist. All living creatures drink water. This isn't normal and the assorted heavily advertised, sugary and/or chemical-laden "drinks" are not healthy, no matter what the ads say.



I used to drink a lot of mtn dew as well but I stopped about a week or so ago. I don't have much use for it during the summer but when school starts back up I think I might start drinking it again.... used to down about 4 cans during the first two classes.
frown.gif


It also might have something to do with the fact that I can't smell and my various mental problems (No surprise there for you guys eh?). I apparently eat food based more on texture than taste. I'm not sure how that goes with not liking water though....

I think I'll head down to the store later and take a look at that fancy mineral water and see what filters they have.
 
Jul 26, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #12 of 85

apatN

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 28, 2007
Posts
5,774
Likes
19
I can't imagine someone not liking water? There's no flavour to it. The reason you don't drink water is probably between your ears. Sorry to say so.
Anyway, you could always drink tea though too much tea is probably not good for your teeth etc.

Oh and the amount of milk you drink is simply too much. Milk is good for your body to some degree. Drink too much of it and it is not healthy at all! Too much milk is very bad for your bones.
 
Jul 26, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #13 of 85

A<aA?

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 14, 2005
Posts
243
Likes
10
There's loads of stuff you could try, loads of teas, like rooibos tea, green teas, herbal teas.

you could drink skimmed milk, it's so thin, although you have added calories. cold water as already stated is nice.

drinking through a straw might make give it less taste in the mouth, aim for drinking 2 litres a day of water, whether thats made in a tea or whatever.

Gatorade is another one, do one of those a day, on top of skimmed milk/teas/water.
 
Jul 26, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #14 of 85

KONAKONA

Banned
Joined
Feb 25, 2009
Posts
1,480
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't imagine someone not liking water? There's no flavour to it. The reason you don't drink water is probably between your ears. Sorry to say so.
Anyway, you could always drink tea though too much tea is probably not good for your teeth etc.

Oh and the amount of milk you drink is simply too much. Milk is good for your body to some degree. Drink too much of it and it is not healthy at all! Too much milk is very bad for your bones.



Yeah it's probably got something to do with the various ways my head is screwed up. Also, the way I look at it is drinking a gallon of milk is better than two liters of mtn dew. They are both bad, but milk is the lesser of two evils.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ċãţ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's loads of stuff you could try, loads of teas, like rooibos tea, green teas, herbal teas.

you could drink skimmed milk, it's so thin, although you have added calories. cold water as already stated is nice.

drinking through a straw might make give it less taste in the mouth, aim for drinking 2 litres a day of water, whether thats made in a tea or whatever.

Gatorade is another one, do one of those a day, on top of skimmed milk/teas/water.



Can't stand skim milk, it's view in my eyes is nothing short of evil.
wink.gif


I think I'll go try again, but last time I tried water it was out of our brita pitcher and cold. First sip was OK, but the second one tasted awful. It's nothing distinct that's bad about it, it's just the taste makes me want to gag.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top