Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jan 25, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #6,721 of 14,275
Thanks for the info. If it isn't too much trouble, would you mind taking a few pictures of the bracelet and clasp mechanism? Its hard to find good information or pictures about these watches, which is surprising because they have been around so long.

I just wish the A158/159's were a bit dressier. I have been interested in a Nixon Re-Run for a while, because it checks many of the boxes I have been looking for. Dressy, digital, simple. However the price is just way more than I am willing to pay for something like that.

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #6,722 of 14,275
Thanks for the info. If it isn't too much trouble, would you mind taking a few pictures of the bracelet and clasp mechanism? Its hard to find good information or pictures about these watches, which is surprising because they have been around so long.

I just wish the A158/159's were a bit dressier. I have been interested in a Nixon Re-Run for a while, because it checks many of the boxes I have been looking for. Dressy, digital, simple. However the price is just way more than I am willing to pay for something like that.

Will do, I am out and about at the moment but when I get home I will take some pictures, the great thing about this watch is the simplicity of it!

Jan 25, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #6,723 of 14,275
OK, here are so quick pictures (so quick I forgot to wipe the spot of blood off, I poked myself with my screwdriver!)
First one you can see the arrow on the clasp, you simply slip a blade underneath and lift. The whole piece then moves up or down the bracelet, you move it to the desired location and snap the clasp shut. Job done! The way you close the bracelet on the wrist is by attaching the hook on the other clasp over the bar on this one then snap down, really simple and easy.

Nice clean face, simple, gets the job done and very comfortable to wear.

Must say I have seen $400 "fashion" brands not finished as well as this little twenty buck cheapy. Brushing on the bracelet is really good and the case feels nice and solid. Very light weight watch and what is most remarkable is that everything is stainless steel which is important to me as I have base metal allergies!

Jan 25, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #6,724 of 14,275
here's my current collection, the watch on the farthest left is a 9052 (dead even after I swapped out the battery 
confused_face.gif
) a 7700v-1, a g9200 smoky grey riseman, and a gd200 with the lettering blacked out and a 5600a3 in olive drab which couldn't make it for the family portrait. 

Jan 25, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #6,726 of 14,275
Ian, thanks for the pics. Definitely going to be picking one up on Ebay tonight.

No worries! I am wearing mine as I type and loving it! i think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the quality for twenty bucks! It feels really retro, reminds me of the eighties!

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #6,728 of 14,275
I couldn't resist, $15 shipped from NY. Can't wait to see what its like....

You really can't go wrong at that price, they are almost giving them away! Hope you like it. There is something nice about wearing something simple and that does its job well. Don't get me wrong, it ain't a Rolex but really, as I said in another post, I have seen designer brand watches at 400 times then cost feel cheaper than this!. Oh yes, the light is vintage as well so don't expect much, glows a nice vintage green though!

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #6,729 of 14,275
Oh yes, to get you in the vintage quartz mood here is a wonderful show from britain about the quartz watch, well watches in general. He takes apart a Seiko/pulsar digital to show how it works, it looks very similar to this one. Funny thing is the one he took apart is now highly collectable!

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/vCEQ5J97pO4/VIDEO]

Jan 26, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #6,731 of 14,275

I have a vintage Tudor Submariner and a semi-modern Tudor Hydronaut in a winder (as well as a vintage deco gold Patek Phillepe dress watch that needs servicing), but this one gets the most use by far as it never needs batteries or winding and keeps virtually perfect time 
smile.gif

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #6,732 of 14,275
It's funny to see how people work. I have a friend who went from some Rolexes, a Breitling, an Audemars, a Bell and Ross, and now three IWC's. At one point his Orient Mako still got a ton of wrist time (before he gifted it to me) and now he has several ~$100 pilot watches that seem to see more time than any of his IWC's.

Even with nice things, most people still enjoy the cheaper things in life even if only once in a while. 

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #6,733 of 14,275
Quote:

I have a vintage Tudor Submariner and a semi-modern Tudor Hydronaut in a winder (as well as a vintage deco gold Patek Phillepe dress watch that needs servicing), but this one gets the most use by far as it never needs batteries or winding and keeps virtually perfect time 
smile.gif

I like the strap on this Citizen.

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #6,734 of 14,275
It's funny to see how people work. I have a friend who went from some Rolexes, a Breitling, an Audemars, a Bell and Ross, and now three IWC's. At one point his Orient Mako still got a ton of wrist time (before he gifted it to me) and now he has several ~$100 pilot watches that seem to see more time than any of his IWC's.

Even with nice things, most people still enjoy the cheaper things in life even if only once in a while. 

Ayz, that is a lovely IWC and grokit I now what you mean and that Citizen is still on my buy list, always loved it, reminds me of the old railroad timekeeper watches

Sharkz, I have been very fortunate to have owned some lovely Swiss watches and will always have a soft spot for Rolex, heck, a yellow gold DD is still on my list of purchases. I love my two Cartiers as well. I think the thing is there are two types of collector I feel. Those who go for the brand name and those who go for horological interest.

The reason I love both Cartier and Rolex is not for recognition by other but more that they have done things either in my personal history that piqué my interest or that they have some horological significance or both. I love Cartier for their horological significance, something that has been lost on most watch forums I feel, likewise they do not hide the fact that expensive watches are also jewellery, you should see the fit and finish of the case and bracelet on my Galbee, it is high jewellery and I think that wonderful.

The thing is for all that I also get huge satisfaction out of something as humble as this Casio I have now. It represents to me a turning point in horology, the digital age if you will and holds an important place as such. Likewise I have a Citzen 2100, an amazing watch that combines both mechanical and Eco drive quartz operation. The chronograph function is of mechanical operation whilst the timekeeping is dealt with by quartz Eco drive which I find fascinating. For around $500 if you search you can have a hand built watch with stunning technology who is the Citizen.

Then I have my two Sekonda's, both less than $30 and both contain much personal historical fondness for me.

Likewise the Bulova Accutron I own, again, a milestone in horology. I love that this hobby is still one where you don't need a lot of money to be able to accsess history and meaning!

Also, I have a Ttouch which I think was a first for touch sensitive watch screens ( I stand to be corrected on that) and then my lovely Seiko orange monster with the famed 7s26 movement, a piece of Japanese horological history.

That is my motivation for collecting, I love that significance, the DD I want to get is based on the fact it has been the watch of choice of men who have shaped the world and also simply because as a child I used to gaze longingly at them in jewelers windows!

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #6,735 of 14,275
hey guys, I was flipping over pictures of kim dotcom, and i can't help but notice that he is seen multiple times with a yellow watch with what appears to be two digital screens on the top and lower area of the bezel, can anyone identify it?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back