Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jan 13, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #6,706 of 14,276

Quote:
I have been searching for one of those for ages. One of the character in a British TV show called last of the summer wine wears one and it has made me want one, though with a darker face if possible. WHere did you get it from?

It seems like you already found the whatch you want. Anyway, I leave here the site where I bought it.

http://www.watchshop.com/

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #6,707 of 14,276
What's the name? Or dealer? I might buy the gold version..

They only have this version, best to go to one of the Asian Internet sellers or search eBay for the gold version

Jan 16, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #6,709 of 14,276
Quote:
looking through a drawer for something else and this turns up. yeah, didn't set it,size or clean it yet lol.

If your not using it, ill take it
wink_face.gif

Jan 21, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #6,710 of 14,276
Ok, so a question. If you're looking to set the time on your watch, and you want it to be exactly correct when you set it, what do you use? nist.time.gov? watchuseek.com? another digial clock that synchronizes itself with an atomic clock? something else?

Jan 21, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #6,711 of 14,276
Ok, so a question. If you're looking to set the time on your watch, and you want it to be exactly correct when you set it, what do you use? nist.time.gov? watchuseek.com? another digial clock that synchronizes itself with an atomic clock? something else?

I have two devices that sync every night with the Atomic clock, my desk clock and my Gshock. I use either of those. I have never found the ones on the internet great as there is a lag of a second or so in my experience.

Having said that I used to be obsessed with accuracy but seem to not bother now. My Cartiers are so accurate I don't need to check them often. They both are +/- 2 seconds a day so I usually go a month before adjusting them, what is a minute after all in the great scheme of things!

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #6,712 of 14,276
Bought a Rado:  

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #6,714 of 14,276
Yeah, just keep telling yourself that... :wink:

Honestly, been there and done that, hung around Watchuseek for years and spent much of my time annoyed my watches were one or two seconds out of COSC spec like everyone else on watch forums, like everyone else I went for big watches as well. Then one day I realized every big watch I owned I was glad to get off my wrist as it simply was not comfortable and that I was never happy because no watch was keeping COSC because I did not wear it for x number of hours or I did not lay it down correctly each night... Utter madness!

I was a watch fan long before the Internet and began to realize that in those days me and my fellow collectors did not give a rats about COSC or size of watch but more about the history of the makers and the various styles. Heck if one were to solely hang around watch forums one would think the only watch for a man was over 40mm and performed like an Olympian on steroids.

Since not going to the watch forms I have started to collect watches I love again, not what everyone else thinks I should love and I an not obsessed with a watch being a minute out a month.. I'll never go back now, this attitude shift has brought the fun back into the hobby for me! Heck, yesterday my deeply unfashionable Casio arrived, no one would even look at it on the watch forums as its not a G shock or aster go G or a limited edition, but I put it on and it brought a bigger smile to my face than any of the trendy casio's that are all the rage on the forums!

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #6,715 of 14,276

Quote:
Heck if one were to solely hang around watch forums one would think the only watch for a man was over 40mm and performed like an Olympian on steroids.

Hahaha so true! :D 

I'm not much of an accuracy aficionado myself. Don't mind them a bit off from time to time. :) Never worried about those forums. Most OCD'lies in the forums do forget the whole fun aspect of this hobby. I just like watches. Mostly mechanicals though. Care to share your current favs?

Jan 24, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #6,716 of 14,276
Hahaha so true! :D 

I'm not much of an accuracy aficionado myself. Don't mind them a bit off from time to time. :) Never worried about those forums. Most OCD'lies in the forums do forget the whole fun aspect of this hobby. I just like watches. Mostly mechanicals though. Care to share your current favs?

I think you and I are on the same page! My current favourites are my two Cartier's. Once again, far removed from forum watch collectors interests on the whole but I have always had an historical connection to Cartier's. Two of the greatest men I have known owned them. An uncle of mine and my first employer and my two reflect the ones they had, well, almost!

My uncle had a Tank for as long as I can remember and I always loved the style, used to gaze in Jewellers windows in England where I am from as a child just looking at them and my first employer had one of the first two tone Santos's the ones before they became known as Galbee's. Last year I managed to find a vintage tank from the early 70's. Well used, lot's of patina and a wonderful history (it was owned by a championship jockey and it was a gift from a trainer for a horse race one!
The second that came along a few months later was the Galbee XL automatic in SS and 18k. I laugh at the XL tag as it is 34mm width but it is so comfortable and both keep really good time though I don't really track them any more as I have said.

Also, another watch with an historical connection for me is a Russian Sekonda I picked up off ebay. The story behind it is that my Mum purchased the exact same model for me for my 18th birthday back in 1980. I wore that watch for years before it became unserviceable and I had to let it go. Surfing ebay one night I had the notion to type in Sekonda and three or four down there was the watch I used to own (well not the exact one!) I don't think I have ever punched that buy it now faster than I did that night!

They all bring a smile to my face, memories and happy times,I could not want for more. I think the only thing I would like now as I have always like the look of them is a yellow Gold president, will try to get a used one this year. Bernard watch where I got the Galbee from has a good selection and they are great to deal with.

Here are some pictures of the ones I mentioned!

Jan 25, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #6,718 of 14,276
I'm not sure why Cartier aren't spoken more of in watch forums; they make some lovely watches.

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #6,719 of 14,276
I need to stop reading this thread. I now have an overwhelming desire to buy a $20 Casio A158. I need a black faced "nicer" watch than my black G-shock to wear to work. Otherwise my only dress grade watch is a blue Orient Mako (which I love).

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #6,720 of 14,276
I need to stop reading this thread. I now have an overwhelming desire to buy a $20 Casio A158. I need a black faced "nicer" watch than my black G-shock to wear to work. Otherwise my only dress grade watch is a blue Orient Mako (which I love).

I'm loving mine, it really is old school. Tough as nails as well... The seller I got mine from thought a plain white envelope was more than enough protection for the watch! To keep costs down they do not ship it with the box, just the tag. When I went to my mail box and saw this tiny envelope I had no idea what it was, then I felt it and to my horror it had the watch inside and it did not feel like it had any protection. I opened the letter and much to my surprise it was pristine working perfectly. It had survived Canada posts cack-handed employees without a scratch. A better testament to build quality I do not know :D

Actually it surprised me how well put together it is, the bracelet is light but well made of stainless steel as is the case and back and even though there were no instructions I had it set in a minute. The band is easy to adjust, not fiddling with removing links it just has a simple clasp with a friction tether. one lifts up the tether with a small screwdriver or something that is flat, moves it along the bracelet until the desired length is got, click back the tether and done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back