Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
May 4, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #5,866 of 14,276

Quote:
I really want an Orient Automatic, but no luck looking in London, England :frowning2:

I have a Rotary Editions 500B (auto) - keeps time well, kept within a minute over 2-3 weeks. Picked it up fairly cheap and it does look freakin stunning. (Kinda richard mille meets IWC engineer screws), but the deployment clasp is useless, as it is easy to accidentally open, and it has no safety lock on the clasp :frowning2:

Im looking at one on the Limes watches or Archimede SportTaucher or something from Archimede), basically something with a slightly better more fluid auto movement. (And at the price, the Orient's seem a steal!) any other suggestions? what are the Invicta diver watches with the miyota movement like?

I have a blue Orient Mako I got from a friend and wear pretty much every day. Its a great watch for the money. Looks great, has been durable so far, and keeps good time. I had been looking at more expensive models, but this has kept me happy for the time being. If you could find one, I can't recommend it highly enough.

May 6, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #5,867 of 14,276
Decided to put on some NATOs for the weekend.

May 8, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #5,868 of 14,276
<3 My watches
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #5,869 of 14,276
Wow, those watches look nice!

May 8, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #5,871 of 14,276
Not sure why, but I know I am in the minority here, but I think that the NATO straps, cheapen the look of an expensive watch. YMMV.

May 8, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #5,872 of 14,276
Not sure why, but I know I am in the minority here, but I think that the NATO straps, cheapen the look of an expensive watch. YMMV.

+1. Never been a big NATO strap fan,always found them uncomfortable and get dirty after a couple of wears. Also, not a big fan of wearing militaria. I works for it's intended function but does not outside that function. Great thing though is each to his own and if you like wearing your lings on NATO more power to you, makes the world a more interesting place EH!

May 8, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #5,873 of 14,276
Yeah, I think they are a decent option when you do not want to go with the bracelet.  I typically would have everything on leather but that seems wrong with divers.  I do not like rubber so the best option for casual is the NATO.

May 8, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #5,875 of 14,276

Quote:
Silly question, I've never used a NATO strap. Doesn't it absorb sweat, much more easily than the leather strap?

Perfect for desert or marine environments.

May 8, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #5,876 of 14,276

Quote:
I am so glad I found this thread! I myself am quite the watch lover. My favorite? The IWC Portuguese Automatic With anodized blue hands (steel). If only the version in platinum wasn't so obscenely priced... 
blink.gif
 The movements that IWC produces are spectacular and are, in my opinion, as well built as those by Vacheron Constantin. 

I was just thinking you're either a nine year old with hairy wrists or man that's one big watch!  Seriously though, I like big watches and this one is beautiful!  Excellent taste.

May 8, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #5,877 of 14,276

After spending a couple of decades in the Air Force, I'm with ya there. I'm glad I did but that part of my life is in the past and I don't care if I ever wear anything camo or military-looking again.  
Quote:
Quote:

+1. Never been a big NATO strap fan,always found them uncomfortable and get dirty after a couple of wears. Also, not a big fan of wearing militaria. I works for it's intended function but does not outside that function. Great thing though is each to his own and if you like wearing your lings on NATO more power to you, makes the world a more interesting place EH!

May 8, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #5,878 of 14,276

Quote:
Silly question, I've never used a NATO strap. Doesn't it absorb sweat, much more easily than the leather strap?

It's been my experience with my leather straps vs NATO straps, that both easily absorb sweat and can pick up fantastic amounts of grime, but the NATOs tend to hold up to it better and disperse said moisture quicker than the leathers do. My leather straps are always deteriorating faster than my NATO straps.

May 8, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #5,879 of 14,276

Quote:
After spending a couple of decades in the Air Force, I'm with ya there. I'm glad I did but that part of my life is in the past and I don't care if I ever wear anything camo or military-looking again. 

What about these? 1,2

May 8, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #5,880 of 14,276

That was where I was coming from as well! Years of being made to wear something puts you off wearing it for choice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back