Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Apr 24, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #5,851 of 14,276
the missing pictures...

Tag Heuer Carrera CV2015

Rolex Explorer II on a Cordura Strap

Rolex Submariner on Bond Nato

Apr 24, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #5,852 of 14,276

Quote:
Actually you can get them cheap right around the corner from where I live, among other places.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=watch+repair

And another place around the other corner from me:
http://www.thewatchprince.com/Accessories-Tools-Care

Thanks for the tip.

I actually ended up buying a mini 3.5" tool with push pin on one end and spring bar fork on the other through eBay. It worked fine, but I highly recommend anyone who needs a similar tool to spring (haha) for the full size version. I didn't anticipate how stubborn some of the band link pins would be on my bracelets and it took considerable force to push them out using the push pin. The short 3.5" length made it difficult to grip the tool with enough force to accomplish the task without almost stabbing my hand with the opposite fork end side.

But it was worth the effort because now my Orient Mako, Seiko 5 Flieger, and Edifice Casio "Navitimer" (haha) are all rocking NATO and Zulu straps.

Orient CEM65001B Black Mako on the "Original Bond" NATO:

Seiko 5 SNK805K2 on black NATO:

Edifice Casio EF527D-1AV on Black Zulu:

I also like the look of stainless steel bracelets, but these NATO/Zulu one-piece straps are just so comfortable. I really like not having to feel the steel case backs on my wrist and the lighter weight. Plus they look really sharp for casual wear.    

Apr 25, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #5,853 of 14,276

Quote:
the missing pictures...

Tag Heuer Carrera CV2015

Rolex Explorer II on a Cordura Strap

Rolex Submariner on Bond Nato

This thread is so weird, just weird that when i start thinking of certain watches someone posts about those watches right around the same time.

Last saturday i got to thinking i really am in love with the Milgauss as a daily wearer and was thinking of doing a 40mm Rolex for a work watch in the future. For work watches i love Nato bands and actually was looking into a used Explorer ii or no date sub on a Nato...crazy!

how did you like the two watches? how was the timing and feel of both with the Nato?

Apr 25, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #5,854 of 14,276

Quote:

This thread is so weird, just weird that when i start thinking of certain watches someone posts about those watches right around the same time.

Last saturday i got to thinking i really am in love with the Milgauss as a daily wearer and was thinking of doing a 40mm Rolex for a work watch in the future. For work watches i love Nato bands and actually was looking into a used Explorer ii or no date sub on a Nato...crazy!

how did you like the two watches? how was the timing and feel of both with the Nato?

Ha, I love all of my four watches and all of them are keepers. As I said before, I bought and sold a lot until I bought my first Rolex (Explorer 2) then I sold the rest of my collection and got the Submariner. The EX2 is "only OK" on Nato, but is great on the Cordura strap. The Submariner is just perfect with a Nato, very classy, sporty and they are both becomming a more day-to-day watch if not on the bracelet - at least for me.
Both of my Rolex's are more then 15 years old, both have the Tritium dial and the Submariner bezel is slighly fading into a dark blue instead of the original black.

They still keep perfect time and only got serviced once 2-5 years ago. One pro with Nato and Cordura straps is that you can replace them very quickly depending on your mood :)

The Milgauss was also on my list, but I can't really imagine it on a Nato. I like the version with the green saphire the most - or of course the vintage versions which I cannot afford / or at least not afford wearing :)

The other pro of Rolex watches is their value, all other watches I have previously owned lost (a bit) of the value when I sold or traded them which is the total opposite for most if not all Rolex models.

Apr 25, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #5,855 of 14,276
Stupid admiration post...
In response to the images posted above:

Explorer II - Stunning. Always wanted one of these. Cordura strap looks great.
Submariner - Ditto above comments... Nato look is classic. Brilliant.

Orient - Wonderful looking watch... The Nato is great here too.
Seiko 5 - Simple, elegant. Great look all around, and a real workhorse.

Congrats to you both on owning such great watches.

Apr 25, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #5,856 of 14,276

Quote:
Stupid admiration post...
In response to the images posted above:

Explorer II - Stunning. Always wanted one of these. Cordura strap looks great.
Submariner - Ditto above comments... Nato look is classic. Brilliant.

Orient - Wonderful looking watch... The Nato is great here too.
Seiko 5 - Simple, elegant. Great look all around, and a real workhorse.

Congrats to you both on owning such great watches.

And if you were considering a Rolex before, pull the trigger :) You won't forget them and will always want one - so no need to try to resist :)

May 1, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #5,857 of 14,276
I am so glad I found this thread! I myself am quite the watch lover. My favorite? The IWC Portuguese Automatic With anodized blue hands (steel). If only the version in platinum wasn't so obscenely priced... 
blink.gif
 The movements that IWC produces are spectacular and are, in my opinion, as well built as those by Vacheron Constantin. 

May 1, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #5,859 of 14,276

Quote:
is it just the picture or is the Lugs of the watch really hanging over your wrist? how big is that watch or how small is your wrist?

x2, it looks like that face is way to big for your hand
rolleyes.gif
I love watches with blue handles.

May 1, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #5,860 of 14,276
Actually the lugs lie just flush with my wrist. Admittedly, the watch is ~44mm so it is definitely meant to be large. On the other hand, it actually looks just as big as my Panerai Luminor automatic which is 2mm smaller (admittedly with a bulkier case). 

May 3, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #5,861 of 14,276
Added a couple more Divers to the collection this week.

The first is the Doxa 750T GMT Divingstar. 

And then the Watch-u-Seek Forum Dive Watch Project Watch.

Both are far more capable Dive watches than I will ever need but I seem to be on a Dive Watch kick lately.

May 3, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #5,863 of 14,276
I really want an Orient Automatic, but no luck looking in London, England :frowning2:

I have a Rotary Editions 500B (auto) - keeps time well, kept within a minute over 2-3 weeks. Picked it up fairly cheap and it does look freakin stunning. (Kinda richard mille meets IWC engineer screws), but the deployment clasp is useless, as it is easy to accidentally open, and it has no safety lock on the clasp :frowning2:

Im looking at one on the Limes watches or Archimede SportTaucher or something from Archimede), basically something with a slightly better more fluid auto movement. (And at the price, the Orient's seem a steal!) any other suggestions? what are the Invicta diver watches with the miyota movement like?

May 3, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #5,864 of 14,276
My wrist dimensions are very small at
150 mm around
40mm for the top, flat surface of my wrist.
Picture:

So yeah, I'm looking for a low profile, casual watch.  Does anyone have a Skagen like this http://www.amazon.com/Skagen-433LSLB-Black-Leather-Watch/dp/B0000C9ZDF ?

My budget is anywhere from 50-80 I guess.

May 3, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #5,865 of 14,276
I ordered this watch a couple of weeks ago and am patiently awaiting it's arrival. It will be my first Russian watch but maybe not my last. It's a Komandirskie K-34 and I just really like that gray face. Maybe tomorrow. (As a long time Cub fan I've conditioned myself to always hope for "next game", "next year", "tomorrow" and so on).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back