Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Feb 25, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #5,746 of 14,275

Quote:
Haha, I know, but I like how speculators put people into panic which gives companies the "right" to charge more for oil. Libya doesn't even put out enough oil for it to be a quantitative problem but oh well.

Watches, watches, watches.  

I like the watches, watches, watches part. But during the Bush midterm elections, gas came done to around $2. As soon as the Republicans did not take over the house, the prices magically went back to $3.00. Who threw that switch, and why aren't we throwing it now? We are not allowed to talk politics on this forum for the simple reason that it has a history of starting wicked fights.
I just want to add my 2¢. Libya has 9% of the world's oil perserves and if "how ever you spell his name" starts to burn his own oil pipelnes, gas can go to $8/gallon. 
Everything has been going up long before the oil situation. All off the things that we buy at the supermarket and clothing stores went up 6% in the last 12 months, and it's just people trying to make a living and keep their business in tact through tough economic times and watches are a luxury that mostly only upper middle class people can buy, and if they can afford to pay $2500 for a watch, the big companies figure that $2750 is not going to stop them.

Feb 25, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #5,747 of 14,275
9% is way off. They produce high quality oil that is easier to refine. The US tends to buy this higher grade oil that is the only reason why it would effect us. Gaddafi would not be the one lighting the wells, revolutionaries will. That is just a terrible situation over there with no solution.
Prices of commodities (wheat, cotton, corn) have skyrocketed since last year. I really hope oil doesn't go with it but I think oil will continue to go up sheerly because of worry. If two sizeable countries can overthrow their governments, what prevents others from doing so? 

Oil production statistics: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2173rank.html

Feb 26, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #5,748 of 14,275
It is good that Omega raises there pricing! Breitling and Rolex also do it once a year or sometimes twice a year, and a lot others do it!

When i bought my Navitimer in 2007 the retail was $5200. now it the Retail on the same exact watch is $7000. Rolex is even crazier though!

But at the end of the day the price increases is what keeps the used pricing up and this is good for owners of the watches. More demand works in favor of course but the price increase helps a lot!

Raymond Weil does not jack their prices so if you want to sell your watch later you won't get as much back as you would if they raised their prices in the mean time.

IMMT do you have your sub still? can you do a quick compare between the Sub and the PO? nice watch btw!

Feb 26, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #5,749 of 14,275

Quote:
But during the Bush midterm elections, gas came done to around $2. As soon as the Republicans did not take over the house, the prices magically went back to $3.00. Who threw that switch, and why aren't we throwing it now?

Let's not even start to go down this road.  We could do irresponsible cause & effect comparisons all day long.

Feb 26, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #5,750 of 14,275

Quote:
Let's not even start to go down this road.  We could do irresponsible cause & effect comparisons all day long.

Yes, we have to stay away from that conversation.

Billy, you know my Submariner is and always will be my favorite watch. Even though the Seamaster is in the same price range (with discounts) it is a different animal. I like the way that the Submariner movement feels better when rotating the hand and screwing in the crown, but there is a magic that the Planet Ocean has that can't be described. I haven't taken it off since getting it, and I always preferred a rubber band (like my Tag Ti5 and my Bell and Ross Space 3 with a deployment clasp. My wife asked me if I got a new band, and i just answered "no". She probably knows, but is cool enough not to ask.
It is a new job present to myself, but I am still a child and could have paid of my Honda with that money. I feel that the Seamaster should cost about a grand less, though.I wish that it had a sapphire back, because I love watching the movement in action. Art and precision give me umpteem amounts of satiation. That's what I liked about the Panerai. Out with the old and in with the new (except the wife 
smile.gif
 ).
However, if I was a king of a village, I would like a new virgin brought to me every morning, and when we run out of virgins, I'd have to conquer the next village, and so on. But then again, there wouldn't be Submariners and Seamasters 
eek.gif

Feb 26, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #5,751 of 14,275

Ooh.  Got a Sub LV I can drool over? 
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Yes, we have to stay away from that conversation.

Billy, you know my Submariner is and always will be my favorite watch. Even though the Seamaster is in the same price range (with discounts) it is a different animal. I like the way that the Submariner movement feels better when rotating the hand and screwing in the crown, but there is a magic that the Planet Ocean has that can't be described. I haven't taken it off since getting it, and I always preferred a rubber band (like my Tag Ti5 and my Bell and Ross Space 3 with a deployment clasp. My wife asked me if I got a new band, and i just answered "no". She probably knows, but is cool enough not to ask.
It is a new job present to myself, but I am still a child and could have paid of my Honda with that money. I feel that the Seamaster should cost about a grand less, though.I wish that it had a sapphire back, because I love watching the movement in action. Art and precision give me umpteem amounts of satiation. That's what I liked about the Panerai. Out with the old and in with the new (except the wife 
smile.gif
 ).
However, if I was a king of a village, I would like a new virgin brought to me every morning, and when we run out of virgins, I'd have to conquer the next village, and so on. But then again, there wouldn't be Submariners and Seamasters 
eek.gif

Feb 26, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #5,752 of 14,275

Quote:
Being the impulsive guy that I am, I went to Tourneau, just to "look" at the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean, and for whatever reason, they had a 42mm version instead of the 45.5 mm standard (which was the only thing that was stopping me), because my PAM0112 looked too big on my wrist (forget about the 52mm Oris I was asking about before), and walked out with this new baby:

Tourneau is a dangerous place to go.
wink_face.gif

Wear it in good health.
bigsmile_face.gif

USG

Mar 3, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #5,755 of 14,275
Went to the Panerai Boutique to pick up some leather so I decided to take a snapshot of the 24 on the carbon fiber leather strap.

Mar 4, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #5,757 of 14,275
Depends on the strap.  Ranges from 200-1500ish.  

Mar 7, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #5,760 of 14,275
Has anyone read the Watch Snob stuff on ask men? He is so funny and damn correct, Hates Panerai but loves Patek and rips on any other brand but with truth and just pure cocky watch humor.

This is one of his writings..

Quote:
Dear Mr. Snob,

I'm sure you know that it is considered appropriate to spend about three months' salary on an engagement ring. Do you have any complementary suggestions for the watch value versus income scale?

The old adage that a man should only spend three month’s salary on his companion’s engagement ring is preposterous. The amount spent on a ring, just like the amount spent on a watch, should not be a relative term. Look, if you aren’t willing to spend $30,000 on a ring for the woman you want to spend the rest of your life with, you can forget a life of love and happiness; she’ll think you’re a cheapskate before you’re even hitched. But on to the watch value…

Watch Snob Laws

From this point forward I will be declaring two Watch Snob Laws. The first law is that you simply cannot get any decent watch (and by decent I mean not completely emasculating and embarrassing to wear) for under $5,000. If you aren’t spending $5,000 on a watch, it’s better not to be wearing one at all -- because there’s no value in what you’re wearing.

Last year, Sheamus and I were at a mate’s bachelor part in Wales, drinking single malts and partaking in a little falconry, and the poor person had been given a Breitling by his lady for their engagement. For Christ’s sake, the damn thing couldn’t have been more than $3,000. He knew it was horological feces, so did Sheamus and I, but what can you say to a man you’ve known since uni? I was hoping the damn falcon would come down for the tacky Windrider and carry it off into the Atlantic. Do yourself a favor; don’t let your woman pick out a watch for you -- they don’t know watch value.

The second Watch Snob Law is that you cannot buy a real watch for a penny under $20,000. Sure, you might find some respectable choices between $5,000 and $15,000, like a vintage Rolex Submariner or an AP Royal Oak, but those aren’t real watches -- watches worthy of celebrating a moment of matrimony. For an occasion such as this, turn to the Patek Philippe 5970 or A. Lange & Sohne Datograph. If you really want something special, have your woman buy you a Philippe DuFour.

I don’t care how much you make a year; if you’re getting married, tell your woman that you deserve something as valuable and complicated as you are. If she can’t afford something like Patek or a Lange, then maybe it’s time you find yourself a better wife.

If i ever find the woman to spend the rest of my life with she better be spending $$$$$ on my Patek! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back