Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Aug 4, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #4,877 of 14,285

one of my favorite vintages :)

Quote:
@ revolink24.
I try to forget things that are painful.

@ mralexosborn.
An old buddy of mine who specialized in this kind of thing...
Yes, it's a bumper. He did an amazing job. If you've never had a bumper, it's a real trip to wear.

You know the ETA-7750 wobble? Well it's kind of like that, but you can feel the rotor slam against the bumpers... back and forth. Back and forth. Kind of fun, really.

(his photo after rebuild)

(my photos)

Aug 4, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #4,878 of 14,285
i've wanted to get back into "watch-fi" but i'm content and blessed to have what i have at the moment .... but there's other stuff i need to take care of first

Aug 4, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #4,879 of 14,285

Quote:
i label this one "the big boys"

Holy crap! I love the Fifty Fathoms! Gorgeous.

Is that a LeCoultre Memovox?? Beautiful.

shane

Aug 4, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #4,880 of 14,285

Quote:
2k for that is a great deal.  That's timeless and probably my favorite of your collection personally.

Thanks... yeah, it's very special. I don't give it enough wrist time, but I brought it out for tomorrow. Could be a good day for it. 
wink_face.gif

Aug 4, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #4,882 of 14,285
Aug 4, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #4,883 of 14,285

Quote:
That LeCoultre alarm is a classic  All very nice.

I know! Love it.
And speaking of Jaeger-LeCoultre, I forgot to mention that the movement in my IWC is a JLC. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #4,884 of 14,285
Aug 4, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #4,885 of 14,285

Quote:
You're absolutely right.  I've handled and closely examined every model in the Ananta range, as well as watching a number of video propaganda from Seiko about the design and manufacture of that range.  Adjusting for the propaganda factor, they're still remarkably well crafted timepieces, selling for less than a comparable European watch.  That being said, there is nothing else like the Spring Drive movement on the planet, so in that respect, there is no competition.

One the sites that sell the SD watches, they always list the OD of the watch, but not the thickness (at least none I can find yet).  Is there a link you know that would show the thickness for the various SD models?

Will

Aug 5, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #4,886 of 14,285

Quote:
i label this one "the big boys"

Kenny after having the Royal Oak watch can you please tell me as an owner what the hell is so good about these? peoples in the watch hobby go nuts for these watches, is it because of the brand (yes it is one of the top names out there)? is it the cost above a regular luxury sports watch (say a Rolex Daytona, Zenith, a JAger sports piece, etc)? or is it because the GOV of Cali has one?...ok i am joking with the last question.

i never understood the admiration this watch gets, to me it always looked as a  weathly mans Rolex. i am in no way dissing it though, just wandering what the thoughts are from an owners point.

btw nice collection, which of these 4 get the most wrist time?

Aug 5, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #4,887 of 14,285

Quote:
Kenny after having the Royal Oak watch can you please tell me as an owner what the hell is so good about these? peoples in the watch hobby go nuts for these watches, is it because of the brand (yes it is one of the top names out there)? is it the cost above a regular luxury sports watch (say a Rolex Daytona, Zenith, a JAger sports piece, etc)? or is it because the GOV of Cali has one?...ok i am joking with the last question.

i never understood the admiration this watch gets, to me it always looked as a  weathly mans Rolex. i am in no way dissing it though, just wandering what the thoughts are from an owners point.

btw nice collection, which of these 4 get the most wrist time?

Just look at it. It's beautiful.

Aug 6, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #4,888 of 14,285

Quote:
Just look at it. It's beautiful.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I can't stand the look of the Royal Oaks.  I find them to be very clunky and inelegant.  No offense, of course, it's Kenny's watch and only his opinion on it matters.  I'd be all over those three other watches, especially if that Panerai had a brushed finish.

Aug 6, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #4,889 of 14,285
Yup. eye of the beholder, indeed. I personally don't care for the RO's 'looks' either, but the movement is stunning. So I can appreciate the watch without actually liking or wanting to wear it. The Governator's watch is very different. I don't care for it either...
biggrin.gif

I'm not a Panerai fan either.

My tastes (hard to believe) are the Fifty Fathom first, the JLC second. Nice grouping, Kenny.

shane

Aug 6, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #4,890 of 14,285
i'm going to be making this post without quoting since im mobile and this is the easiest way for me to repond .....

- the roo has special appeal to collectors because their limited editions, granted theres alot of them, but they are for the most part actually limited, they are one of the top fhouses in the watch game ... along with patek, al&s, jlc, blancpain. the unique case shape and the fit and finish of the piece is definately up there with the best. in terms of a luxury sports watch theres not many pieces that can compare to it, and like all hobbies, collectors are always looking for the cream of the crop ...

-the panerai is my most coveted piece in my collection and honesty its probably one of 4 watches i would never sell (the other 3 are my green sub, pp 5711, and 35th anni speedmaster ... those 3 were gifted to me), its a PreA piece and imo marks where panerai as a group went from military instrument to a watch brand, its pretty much the transitional piece. according to sources theres only 115 of these in existence.

-all the pieces serve a certain purpose ....
..Panerai PreA2 is my casual piece
..Daytona is my goto watch, i wear it daily for anything you can imagine (i never could see myself wearing a rolex until the daytona come to me) ... its the perfect balance in terms of size andstyle for everyday, any situation use
..GO senator sixties and JLC master8day (bith in rose gold) are the ones i goto in a suit

the others i have are just mixed and matches sports pieces when i dont wear the panerai.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back