Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Dec 28, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #4,201 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Seiko 5 will be dried up for sure. It will be old and dry.

Sort of like an "Old Maid". Eeeew!

What if the oil doesn't dry up and get gummy, it just stays "oil". Then you shake the longtime unused watch, then wind it and wear it?

On my high performance motorcycles, if you shut off the engine, even for a minute to get gas, you're supposed to run the engine at idle for a minimum of 2 minutes to make sure the oil hits the top of the cylinders because they run so hard.

2 completely different thoughts on oil, I know, I know. It's how my mind works.
Scary, isn't it?

Dec 28, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #4,203 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure what about this commonly known fact is such a surprise to people. Have we all had quartz watches that long, or have many of you never been exposed to a mechanical? This is plain common sense.

This right here. I think the advent of quartz-battery watches and digital watches has reduced exposure to mechanical watches significantly. They do seem to be going through a resurgence in popularity of late though.

Dec 28, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #4,204 of 14,276
Quote:

I'm not sure what about this commonly known fact is such a surprise to people. Have we all had quartz watches that long, or have many of you never been exposed to a mechanical? This is plain common sense.

I'm sorry, but I have spoken with and read from many watchmakers and watchsmiths and what is stated above is patently false. If you could provide any information showing otherwise, let me know.

Dec 28, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #4,205 of 14,276
my watchmaker iv'e had for over 25 years said his rolex has never been serviced and he sometimes lets it sit for months on end. it is 17 years old.

oddly i think rolexes take more of that abuse. they don't take panerai type of abuse though.

i have too many watches to wind. i guess i better wind the good ones at least if this is true.

thanks,
music_man

Dec 28, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #4,206 of 14,276
I think it depends on the movement and the era. It's usually not a good thing for any mechanical thing with moving parts to sit unused for long periods of time. Best thing to do is contact the manufacturer with the exact model of your watch and ask them if you're concerned.

Dec 28, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #4,207 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog5145 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry, but I have spoken with and read from many watchmakers and watchsmiths and what is stated above is patently false. If you could provide any information showing otherwise, let me know.

I'm with MadDog. Also, if his watch collection is any indication, he knows his stuff. I think the "oil gunking up things" is a myth. I also think that watches should be worn and serviced regularly. But not obsessed over.

Dec 28, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #4,208 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog5145 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, it certainly flies in the face of everything I've read and been told. I dunno. It certainly makes sense to me. My vintage Omega bumper had oil that had dried up and it is currently being serviced by Omega in Bienne... but it is 60 years old.

Dec 28, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #4,209 of 14,276
This watch has infected my brain ever since i fist saw it here in this thread:
027370100.jpg

If any one has one of these which they don't wear or appreciate please drop me a line (it is the mechanical model shown in the picture which is 34mm in diameter that i would like to possess one day).

Dec 28, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #4,210 of 14,276
Quote:

Well, it certainly flies in the face of everything I've read and been told. I dunno. It certainly makes sense to me. My vintage Omega bumper had oil that had dried up and it is currently being serviced by Omega in Bienne... but it is 60 years old.

Same here...I was puttering through my grandparents' old stuff a few years ago and came across my grandfather's old pocketwatch that he inherited from his father (so about 1940's-1950's watch) and when we cracked open the case, it was full of gooey, waxy pasty junk that we had to have a watch-maker clean out. Same reason that here at work, we have rough-necks constantly checking greased areas because grease doesn't keep lubricating a connection forever, and the longer a greased connection goes without moving, the more likely it is that the grease will harden and stop lubricating, so they'll go through every few months and wipe down some of these areas and re-grease them again. I wouldn't expect that a watch kept still for a couple of months would go bad: I've got a Seiko Kinetic that is still smooth after about 2 years of no use, but if my watch went 6 years without being used, I'd certainly get it cracked open to look at at least, and after 10 years, I'd definitely be having it cleaned before re-lubricating it.

Dec 28, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #4,211 of 14,276
To those who question that oil dries up, try the following:

If your wife has a sewing machine, borrow the lubricating oil from her. If not, find any thin oil. Squirt a small puddle into a shallow dish and let it sit for a week. Then, stick your finger in the puddle and see if it isn't sticky.

Of course, this isn't a truly scientific test because sewing machine oil sitting in the open air is quite different than the insides of a watch case but it will show that lubricants do loose their lubricating properties.

This is also something any gun owner could tell you. Oil is used as a rust preventative and if you oil a gun and let it sit for any length of time, it will be sticky and require a wipe down with fresh oil the next time it is to be used.

Dec 28, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #4,212 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To those who question that oil dries up, try the following:

If your wife has a sewing machine, borrow the lubricating oil from her. If not, find any thin oil. Squirt a small puddle into a shallow dish and let it sit for a week. Then, stick your finger in the puddle and see if it isn't sticky.

Of course, this isn't a truly scientific test because sewing machine oil sitting in the open air is quite different than the insides of a watch case but it will show that lubricants do loose their lubricating properties.

This is also something any gun owner could tell you. Oil is used as a rust preventative and if you oil a gun and let it sit for any length of time, it will be sticky and require a wipe down with fresh oil the next time it is to be used.

Point taken, Leftnose. Things are a bit different with sealed watch movements, and many newer movements are designed to be totally maintenance free for the reasonable life of the watch. Again, I think it depends on the watch, the movement, and the era of both.

Dec 29, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #4,213 of 14,276
oh boy. i hope some of my favorite watches aren't ruined. they start right up still. i just tried a few. i have watches that have sat in drawers not used once in 15+ years. even patek and iwc ones. i really hope i didn't ruin those. how can i tell if they are damaged? can they refurbish them if they are messed up? you might ask why i don't wear them. i never wan't them to be ruined! ironic, huh?

thanks,
music_man

Users who are viewing this thread

Back