Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Aug 14, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #3,526 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aiml3ss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, then what would you recommend then that is in the same price range of the Movado? (1k and under)

Oh and BTW, I don't think that watch is feminine at all!

I would get him this Lum-tec B3. It's classic enough to look good with a nice leather strap (which you could also provide as part of his present) and sporty enough to wear with anything. The movement in that thing is bombproof, too. By the time you invested in a very nice leather strap, you're still not out more than $600 or $700.

LTB004.jpg

Oh...and the lume on this watch is INSANE. Your dad will get a kick out of walking into dark spaces just to see the torch on his arm light up. We're all kids at our roots anyway.

Aug 14, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #3,527 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof37 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would get him this Lum-tec B3. It's classic enough to look good with a nice leather strap (which you could also provide as part of his present) and sporty enough to wear with anything. The movement in that thing is bombproof, too. By the time you invested in a very nice leather strap, you're still not out more than $600 or $700.

LTB004.jpg

Oh...and the lume on this watch is INSANE. Your dad will get a kick out of walking into dark spaces just to see the torch on his arm light up. We're all kids at our roots anyway.

That's nice! But I just can't see my dad wearing a watch with a leather band. I've always seen him wear the stainless steel band like on the Movados. Do you have any other suggestions with that in mind?

Thanks

Aug 14, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #3,528 of 14,276
Quote:

That's nice! But I just can't see my dad wearing a watch with a leather band. I've always seen him wear the stainless steel band like on the Movados. Do you have any other suggestions with that in mind?

Thanks

Leather is a little more dressy than a metal band, in my opinion, unless the band is polished as opposed to brushed.

For your budget, though, I'd advise you to look through the Seiko line and see if something piques your interest. Bluedial.com is a good place to both browse and buy their various lines.

Also, I like these...surprised I don't see more of 'em. MG is a great German brand. You can buy these on a bracelet, I believe, and I would check with Watchbuys.com for a purchase place. Rob is a great guy, totally authorized and his customer service is impeccable. He would likely work with you on the price if it went a tiny bit over your budget.

m12611lb.jpg

Aug 15, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #3,529 of 14,276
Quote:

LOL, then what would you recommend then that is in the same price range of the Movado? (1k and under)

Oh and BTW, I don't think that watch is feminine at all!

stay away from them. its a brand close to what we would see as Bose. the brands image is forcefully fed into us as the best of the best threw marketing but talk to any person of that hobby and they will say its ok but there are better for cheaper. most people who wear a Movado either received it as a christmas gift from mother/wife/girlfriend and usually use it as a "dress watch" but they dont normally wear watches at all. personally i would buy a replica Polex dayjust with a quartz movement (and brag its a real Polex) before i would wear a Movado...seriously.

lots of good recommendations so far in this thread but i will throw a beautiful peice i seen last week at a dealer out also..

Tissot LE LOCLE
comes in either automatic for $1100 or quartz for $500, the prices are for the newest 2009 model but the older years are even priced lower. amazingly beautifully simple piece in life! i seen the automatic white dial at a store, it had a power reserve and the Locle detailed face was so detailed yet so simple. actually thought about buying one for my parents.

Aug 15, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #3,530 of 14,276
Here are a couple vintage rollies, the first being a '666':

DSC01246.jpg

The second being a white 1680, for which I can't find a good individual pic:

DSC00686.jpg

One of my absolute fave modern watches:

DSC00961.jpg

I'm wrestling with the idea of selling one to pay for head-fi related stuff. I still have a few vintage parts that I could potentially list that could save me the torture of seeing one of the rollies go...

Aug 15, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #3,531 of 14,276
I have a Swiss Military (Wenger) quartz chrono watch I bought a couple of years ago. The time hands stopped working earlier today, but the chrono still works fine. If I tap it, the second hand starts moving for a bit, but only runs forward for a few seconds, runs backwards now and then, etc.

Is this just a dead battery?

Aug 16, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #3,534 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I recall when the second hand stops working but the minute/hour hands keep good time the battery is about to die. Just have the battery replaced and be happy.

On some watches, the second hand will advance every 5 seconds when the battery is running low.

Aug 16, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #3,536 of 14,276
Regarding any Lum-Tec pre-orders. I wrote to Chris Wiegand late Friday night about my order, which had an estimated ETA of July, and within 10 minutes he replied to me from his Blackberry (every company should have such great customer service). I am paraphrasing his response:

"The cases are finally finished just today, and dials for M6 and M8 should be ready next week, followed by the M7 shortly after the rest. We remade the case several times to get it perfect, and dials were sampled since 5 months ago until we got the quality we planned. This is a very expensive model to build, and we want to be sure the product is absolutely perfect and as good as we can make it before we finalize it and start final production. All parts are now approved and we wait on delivery of the dials....we wait for parts each time and have to approve each part to our high standards of quality. The product we will release will be 3-4 times he quality as if we worked with the original parts we decided to upgrade for higher quality. I would think the reverse lume M7 will be another 45 days or so to finish, and the end product will be very well worth the wait. The tungsten case in particular, is the most complicated project we have this year and we have all been on it overtime to perfect it. ... I want this to be the flagship in our collection."

Sennheiser could have taken customer service lessons from Chris.
beerchug.gif

I am excited about this purchase.

Aug 16, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #3,537 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I recall when the second hand stops working but the minute/hour hands keep good time the battery is about to die. Just have the battery replaced and be happy.

Every 3-4 years, my Tag Heuer Kirium Ti5 does this (jumps every 5 seconds). Just got the battery replaced at Tourneau (who offers lifetime battery replacement) yesterday, at Roosevelt Field mall.

Note - It appears that the "mall" jewelry and watch stores are getting hit pretty hard by the ailing economy. The chain jewelry store (Lundstrom Jewelers) where I bought my wife and my wedding rings umpteen years ago is boarded up, and the Tourneau seemed to have a different breed of sales people attending it. I had asked one woman what some of the special qualities of the Milgauss were, and she said that "she didn't have a clue" (literally) and I asked another one about my watch, and she said "oh, who cares really, a watch is just for telling time!"
eek.gif

I said "boy, you are in the wrong line of work", to which she responded, "with what they are paying us, what do you expect?" Dissension amongst the ranks. I see a business failure domino theory in the works.

Shame.

Aug 16, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #3,538 of 14,276
Quote:

Leather is a little more dressy than a metal band, in my opinion, unless the band is polished as opposed to brushed.

For your budget, though, I'd advise you to look through the Seiko line and see if something piques your interest. Bluedial.com is a good place to both browse and buy their various lines.

Also, I like these...surprised I don't see more of 'em. MG is a great German brand. You can buy these on a bracelet, I believe, and I would check with Watchbuys.com for a purchase place. Rob is a great guy, totally authorized and his customer service is impeccable. He would likely work with you on the price if it went a tiny bit over your budget.

m12611lb.jpg

I checked out those websites you mentioned. What do you think of this Jacques Etoile watch? I don't know anything about movements and such or if this brand is reputable.

Let me know what you think!

Aug 16, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #3,539 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
stay away from them. its a brand close to what we would see as Bose. the brands image is forcefully fed into us as the best of the best threw marketing but talk to any person of that hobby and they will say its ok but there are better for cheaper. most people who wear a Movado either received it as a christmas gift from mother/wife/girlfriend and usually use it as a "dress watch" but they dont normally wear watches at all. personally i would buy a replica Polex dayjust with a quartz movement (and brag its a real Polex) before i would wear a Movado...seriously.

lots of good recommendations so far in this thread but i will throw a beautiful peice i seen last week at a dealer out also..

Tissot LE LOCLE
comes in either automatic for $1100 or quartz for $500, the prices are for the newest 2009 model but the older years are even priced lower. amazingly beautifully simple piece in life! i seen the automatic white dial at a store, it had a power reserve and the Locle detailed face was so detailed yet so simple. actually thought about buying one for my parents.

Thanks for the recommendations. I really like that look of the Tissot Le Locle watches. There very classy! His birthday is not until November so I've got TONS of time to look at watches and such.

Aug 16, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #3,540 of 14,276
Quote:

The Lum-Tec B3. Shipping this week. It's bead-blasted (I think) and has the best lume you'll ever find. $500 but check with Chris @ Lum-Tec to be sure.

Watch and Clock Forum Your home for the discussion of timepieces. • View topic - 2009 LUM-TEC GX lume pics and more product shots.

Sorry for three post in a row. Probably should of condensed them into one. Sorry! Anyways, I'm thinking about getting this watch for myself. Is this a pretty rugged watch? Me being a college student and all its going to take quite a beating. Also, do you know where else to buy them from? Trying to get it as cheap as possible!
biggrin.gif

Again, sorry for the 3 posts. I'm just too excited!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back