Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Aug 9, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #3,498 of 14,276
How about one of these. The MTM Special Ops 'THUNDER HAWK'

THUNDERHAWKMETALB.jpg

You can also get a version with a titanium band and casing.

Aug 9, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #3,499 of 14,276
Silver, minimalistic, under $1k - how about Skagen? Well within that budget (they normally sell for $200-$400 tops new) and very clean, simple designs.

Aug 9, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #3,501 of 14,276
Aug 10, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #3,502 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaquib /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What watches would you guys recommend under $1000? Looking for something silver, minimalistic.

Doesn't get much more minimalistic than a Movado. Try the Juro or Luno:

L10804664.jpg

Aug 10, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #3,504 of 14,276
Aug 10, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #3,505 of 14,276
Aug 10, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #3,506 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received an email on a crazy discount on a winder and ordered one so I will pass along the discount.

Watch Winders & Rotators | Luxury Jewelry Boxes | Wolf Designs.com is offering 60% off to friend and family, just use "take60off" upon checkout.

Never mind, a mistake on their email.

Aug 10, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #3,507 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received an email on a crazy discount on a winder and ordered one so I will pass along the discount.

Watch Winders & Rotators | Luxury Jewelry Boxes | Wolf Designs.com is offering 60% off to friend and family, just use "take60off" upon checkout.

Got an email update from them, they will honor it but not sure until when.
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #3,508 of 14,276
Believe it or not, it took until tonight for me to be a (mostly) satisfied owner of a (seemingly) functional SNDA65 like I mentioned nearly a month ago. First, the obligatory pics (larger ones linked rather than displayed inline) before the story.

watch.jpg

Watch Head on Stock Strap

Other pics:

3 Straps Side By Side (left to right: Stock, Maratec Elite, Maratec Zulu w/ Low-Light Hardware)
Watch w/ Maratec Elite Strap
Watch on Wrist w/ Zulu Strap

After trying the 3 straps, I find the Zulu the most comfortable (when it comes to nylon straps, I've found I much prefer one-piece [whether Zulu or NATO] to two-piece), followed by stock. The Elite seems to be a well-made, very durable piece, but feels a bit too plasticy for my liking. Also, while the orange stiching does match nicely, I prefer the all-black stealth look.

Story: These things are impossible to find. I first saw one at a local jeweler, but $300 seemed a little steep. Looking online revealed nothing - they're rarely on Amazon and never on eBay. By chance, however, I happened to snag one off Amazon for $177 shipped. I ordered it and the 2 Maratec straps. When the watch arrived, it ran great for approximately a couple hours and stopped. I pulled the crown out and pushed it back in; I assumed it just hadn't been pushed in far enough. Nope, in a few hours it stopped again. The chronograph still worked while it was stopped, so it wasn't the battery. I gave in and filed for an RMA. Meanwhile, the one I saw locally sold and disappeared.

Fast forward a couple weeks. The same local jeweler gets another in stock, and although I'm tempted, I still haven't heard if my previous one is getting refunded or replaced. Today I got word that they were refunding me, so I went to the jeweler and picked it up. Thus far, 3 hours and still running good, so I'm optimistic. Seiko's generally a stunning company and I'd never had a problem with a quartz watch of any brand before the last one, so I'm not expecting trouble.

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #3,509 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By a slim chance - do any of you watch fans know of a site where I can order Swatch bands and/or new links? I am specifically looking for 2 or more links for the watch I posted above model # YAS100G.

Ebay is no luck, Swatch store online is no luck. That SOB seller on ebay listed it as fitting an 8" wrist and it won't even close on my 7.25" wrist.
frown.gif
Yes I contacted the seller, and no he does not have the links.

Any takers on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back