Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jul 22, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #3,451 of 14,276
Nice! The last two look the best to me. Is that black one Water Buffalo hide? The worn cowhide one looks like a comfortable pair of blujeans.

Jul 23, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #3,452 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice! The last two look the best to me. Is that black one Water Buffalo hide? The worn cowhide one looks like a comfortable pair of blujeans.

The black one is shark skin, very good for summer time. The worn cowhide is from WWII leathers, it is very soft and comfy and so far it is my flavor now.

Jul 23, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #3,453 of 14,276
Anyone have a recommendation for a watch for swimming? I don't need anything too fancy, just something to time myself with very simple functioning. I saw the recommendations for the Seiko diver, but I looking for something digital for pool lap timing.

Thanks

Jul 23, 2009 at 10:58 AM Post #3,454 of 14,276
a Casio 5600 should do nicly, the newer ones are even waveceptor and solar powered, you can get them for under 100 bucks, and theres even a version with a black SS strap if you dont like the rubber ones,

Jul 23, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #3,455 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nicely done! Welcome to the Seiko family. Best watches for the money, they are! Get those pics up!

Thank you
smily_headphones1.gif
yes they are nice.

I get a new camera soon so I will be takin some good pictures
smily_headphones1.gif
in a bit

Jul 23, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #3,456 of 14,276
Any suggestions for a good daily use watch for around $100? I have a nice Seiko for outings but the watches I wear everyday (Work, etc) get pretty roughed up. I was using a Skagen titanium but it's on its way out unfortunately, so I'm trying to find something new. I've been using a cheap Guess watch to tide me over.
redface.gif

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #3,457 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any suggestions for a good daily use watch for around $100? I have a nice Seiko for outings but the watches I wear everyday (Work, etc) get pretty roughed up. I was using a Skagen titanium but it's on its way out unfortunately, so I'm trying to find something new. I've been using a cheap Guess watch to tide me over.
redface.gif

I have been using a Seiko 5 for daily and I beat the hell out of this thing... 15-20 mile road bike rides a day and im a klutz so i bash it into stuff mistakenly a lot.

Jul 24, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #3,458 of 14,276
Quote:

redface.gif

You can get many Seikos around the $100 mark if you look around. Amazon has just crazy sales sometimes on theirs. A Seiko diver is always a good choice for a daily driver.

Jul 24, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #3,459 of 14,276
Quote:

redface.gif

Check it out. I have a Seiko 5 I haven't worn in a while. They're known for being rugged and reliable. I was on a bus in the Guatemala countryside, and I saw an elderly man wearing one! They are so many models of 5's, there's bound to be one for you. The only negative, and a small one at that, is that the 5 series watches cannot be hand-wound.

EDIT: I would recommend looking for a Seiko with a screw-down crown, just in case.
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #3,460 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. I've always been drawn to the simpler designs. My salesman says "that's an indication that there's a lot going on upstairs." He must have been referring to other customers.
wink.gif

I agree about the Zeniths. Great movements and some are truly elegant. I have an El Primero in Stainless from about 2000. Can't find any pictures of it on line anymore. Very simple white mother of pearl face. Perfect for a dress watch.

There's abeen a lot of manufactures going to the overly complicated face and big bling factor. Fine for the times, but not timeless.

Bob

Jul 24, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #3,462 of 14,276
Quote:

Thanks guys, I'll look into the Seiko 5s. Is Skagen not a good brand anymore?

Try and find a Seiko 007...the watch will outlast you.
biggrin.gif

The modifications that can be done to it are plentiful, and parts are abundant, with vast aftermarket support.

Jul 25, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #3,464 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadrangulum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really want Omega's 40th Anniversary moon landing watch. It's probably near the cost of my worldly possessions combined however.

The used Omega Speedmaster Professional watch market is pretty stable in its prices, usually around $1500 I would say. I do not really find the special editions appealing, they usually only replace the small seconds dial (and in this case also gave the second hand a red point) which is both a very subtle change and a hit to the watch's legibility. I think they may also go with a sapphire instead of the hesalite crystal and a sapphire caseback. I do not mind the hesalite, it is very easy to polish out any scratches and the crystal is very cheap to replace ($30 last I heard). So I never really found the changes to be all that compelling.

Jul 27, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #3,465 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try and find a Seiko 007...the watch will outlast you.
biggrin.gif

The modifications that can be done to it are plentiful, and parts are abundant, with vast aftermarket support.

Is that the $200 one from Amazon? It's a bit more than I can budget for a daily beater watch.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back