Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Apr 16, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #2,943 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wankerfx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn, I really want that watch! I'm going to graduate from my General Issue to a TSAR after I'm done University. Personally, I'd take a Marathon watch over an Omega and a Rolex. It's high quality at a low cost, and I like how it's relatively unknown.

It's also a plus when they're one of the few companies that still uses Tritium dials!

I have a Tritium dial but personally, I would prefer getting one with a modern lume on it. The Tritium has a short half-life, 10 years or so I think, and it gets an ugly brown patina after a while. My watch is 10 years old and while the Tritium is still strong enough to read at night, I can already see the patina setting in and the Tritium isn't strong enough for a low light/dusk situation.

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #2,944 of 14,276
i love some Seiko concept watches....one was designed like the one Aki Ross was wearing in final fantasy spirits within movie.

Apr 16, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #2,946 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Tritium dial but personally, I would prefer getting one with a modern lume on it. The Tritium has a short half-life, 10 years or so I think, and it gets an ugly brown patina after a while. My watch is 10 years old and while the Tritium is still strong enough to read at night, I can already see the patina setting in and the Tritium isn't strong enough for a low light/dusk situation.

A lot of people like that patina. While I am somewhat neutral, the look of a vintage Speedmaster with slightly brown markers is quite nice.

The SARs were originally made with a standard "Maraglo" lume:

saronbrub.jpeg

nightdive.jpg

I prefer, and own, this style over the H3 dials. Broadarrow currently has some of these original-style SARs in stock.

Apr 16, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #2,947 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot of people like that patina. While I am somewhat neutral, the look of a vintage Speedmaster with slightly brown markers is quite nice.

I don't like the patina on the Speedmaster too much. For me, the genius of the Speedmaster Pro is that the watch is instantly readable. The white on black provides a great contrast and the thin hands obstruct little. The use of the small seconds makes the watch look like it has stopped when you first glance at it. A lot of chronographs, like that bloody Police watch that was shown earlier, are too busy, too flashy. It takes too long to interpret the watch. So what I do not like about the eventual brown patina is that it changes the white/cream hour ticks to a brown that blends in more with the black matte background of the dial.

DealExtreme: $19.82 Leather Band Self-Winding Mechanical Wrist Watch

Someone suggested this watch the other day and the more I look at it the more I'm appalled. The tachymeter isn't correct, for example the 400,90 and 65 are shifted to the wrong place. The edge of the dial is white and the hands are white. Not only that, the minute hand is horrible. The area over the gilded metal is cutout while the area over the white edging is solid but white. It completely hides the minute hand by minimizing the contrasts. And then it has the two inner dials that have no function at all. I really like skeletons, I own a Seagull skeleton, but I want a watch that does not sacrifice too much functionality for aesthetics.

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #2,948 of 14,276
Hey guys do you have any thought's on buying/bidding watches from eBay?
Seems a lil' scary because unlike with audio gear, you might never realise it's a replica unless you take it to a "pro" (how you call this guys who fixes watches? :p)

I've seen a UK website where they sell replica's and don't even try to hide it. they just say it's a top notch replica and even give you a 1 year warrenty.. how ****ed up is that?

So I'm assuming that ebay is full of that crap. What do you guys say?

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #2,949 of 14,276
I've easily bought more than a dozen watches on ebay over the last couple years. Many for myself, but I bought 6 different Seikos from the same seller for my groomsmen in my wedding that are awesome and very much authentic. I've bought swiss army, swatch, seiko, citizen, etc with no problems.

I can easily recommend these 2 sellers as selling authentic merchandise.

Watches Limited and Premier World.

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #2,950 of 14,276
I like this one (suits my hemp shoes
tongue_smile.gif
)
seiko7s2602j05military.jpg

ds48.jpg

ds38.jpg

ds28001.jpg

(images borrowed from here)
snk803k23.jpg

But he doesn't specify the model number so I can't find it online outside of ebay.. Also how can you be 100% positive that they are genuine?

EDIT: oh oops the model # is on the back of the watch on that pic hehe. But still, how can you be sure for sure they're authentic?

Apr 16, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #2,952 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyotero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: oh oops the model # is on the back of the watch on that pic hehe. But still, how can you be sure for sure they're authentic?

Ta Da: Chronograph.com

I bought the black version of that exact watch from Chronograph.com. He's a very reputable dealer and you can be sure that you will get a legit watch.

Apr 16, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #2,954 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, model numbers, simple google lookups, things like that.
There's nothing cheap feeling about any of the watches I've bought from those 2 guys.

That's the thing man. Like I said in my other post, you might never tell the difference. The build quality varies but in some of them it's so good that only that-guy-who-fixes-watches (how is he called again?) will be able to tell.
The reasoning is that the "good" replica's use the same material and the reverse engineering is so good that they come up with allmost the exact same watch. The prices are low is due to cheap labor (asian sweat shops etc.) and you don't pay premium for the brand name, well, since it's a ****ing replica.
Now, I'm not saying that those guys you linked to are selling replicas (I sure hope they don't). It's just that there's no way to know unless someone took it to a pro and he confirmed that it's genuine.

check this out
picpp.jpg

it's aint exactly cheap, too.. more then 300$

For some reason I hate to talk about it. I was just curious how do you guys ensure you buy authentic stuff. Since it looks like many here shop online and I'm pretty new to online shopping.

leftones@ thanks for the link. they actually go for around 60$ on ebay and I've seen a winning bid for half of that. I hope it's because the guy is selling them without the box (means there's no warrenty, too, right?). I suppose I could ask him. Could they be refubrished or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back