Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Feb 8, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #2,626 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Khanate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The color of the dial is slightly different I think. MO Roman here
popcorn.gif

They both look pearly white to me. Maybe it's just the picture? But I still can't understand they charge 70 Euro extra for what is pretty much an exact watch.
mad.gif

But I guess if you want it bad enough you will pay for it rather than trying to save money and had to put up with a second best choice look sticking on your wrist for a long long time.

Feb 8, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #2,627 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof07 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Stowa any day of the week...and twice on Sunday. That DeVille just doesn't speak to me. I'd put the Stowa on the bracelet if it were me. My 2 bits tho...

x2. Word for word (except I'd leave the Stowa on leather).

The Omega is a better watch but the dial is just too busy for me. I'm just not a fan of its art deco rings.

I do prefer the Arabic numeral Marine to the Roman Marine, though. In general I don't like watches with Roman numerals. If you look at the Stowa dial, the numbers flip direction after XIII. The alternative is what other manufacturers like Rolex do which is leave the numbers upside down on the bottom of the dial. Actually, on the Stowa, it's not so bad because of the sub-dial but neither solution is satisfactory to me (flip direction or upside-down numerals so I skip Roman numerals entirely).

Feb 8, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #2,628 of 14,276
the Millgauss, aswell as the omega Railmaster are expencive becuase the watch movement is incased in a faraday cage to protect it from magnectic and electric fields,
there was also a IWC model which carries the same case protection, which is weird becuase most engnieers i know use casio and in some cases swiss quartz chronographs,

Feb 9, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #2,629 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. Word for word (except I'd leave the Stowa on leather).

The Omega is a better watch but the dial is just too busy for me. I'm just not a fan of its art deco rings.

I do prefer the Arabic numeral Marine to the Roman Marine, though.

heh. Are we related? Arabics FTW.

Feb 9, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #2,631 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They both look pearly white to me. Maybe it's just the picture? But I still can't understand they charge 70 Euro extra for what is pretty much an exact watch.
mad.gif

But I guess if you want it bad enough you will pay for it rather than trying to save money and had to put up with a second best choice look sticking on your wrist for a long long time.

My understanding is that the Roman numerals version has a lacquered dial...an it is a beautiful watch, much as it's "bigger" cousin , the Dornbluth:

k800dornblth106010mj9.jpg

Feb 10, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #2,634 of 14,276
Oh wow, the Marine automatic is simple beautiful, with that thin, super long second hand, if it has a high bph movement it will be a sight to behold. It exudes restrained class that few swiss manufactures can match.

Too bad at almost 5cm end-to-end the lugs would poke out from my wrist.

Alas, I will have to stick with the Anteas, or start a protein regime and do weight lifting with my wrists.

Homers, Stowa.de is the one-and-only place to buy Stowa watches new and from the factory. Alternately there are the forums on various sites like Watch-U-Seek etc.

What's preventing me from ordering from Stowa is import duties...Stowa does say that if you pay the full euro price you can avoid them, but the language isn't 100% clear.

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #2,636 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's preventing me from ordering from Stowa is import duties...Stowa does say that if you pay the full euro price you can avoid them, but the language isn't 100% clear.

The last time I was thinking about buying a Marine Original, I asked around on the forums about the duties. Here in the US people were paying under US$20 in duties.

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #2,637 of 14,276
Hey, do you know if Stowa will always have their lines available to purchase or do they usually make a batch of, say, Marine originals, then after those are sold out, the next batch will be released in 9 months or so?

Feb 10, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #2,638 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, do you know if Stowa will always have their lines available to purchase or do they usually make a batch of, say, Marine originals, then after those are sold out, the next batch will be released in 9 months or so?

They make them in batches. It seems to be every three months that they make batches of the Marine Orignals. I think the batch size is whatever they have orders for so they don't keep any in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back