Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jan 31, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #2,551 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandrakespain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice Rolex, tintin47. You can fix the acrylic crystal with this:

See the tutorial:

Acrylic Polish Pictorial - The Watch Forum

Regards

If only hardlex could be so easily polished
frown.gif

Jan 31, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #2,552 of 14,275
I went to a shop with my partner today and she just bought a Tag Heuer Carrera for herself. I don't know much about Tag's automatic Calibre 4 (how accurate and reliable it is) but I do hope it's a good watch. Anyone familiar with this watch?

We are also still having a hard time deciding whether to get a black one or a white one. She's tried them both, they both look great.

The deposit money was already given, but do you think it's a good watch for the money? (the price we got was US$1,400 - I hope the automatic movement is reliable)
And which colour do you think is better?

The two watches:

Black Carrera

White Carrera

Jan 31, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #2,553 of 14,275
its quite reliable tag heuer is a nice mid to high end brand, im more of a Monaco fan, but the carrera is a very nice watch, good Automatic movements tend to be nice and accurate aslong as they come from a reliable source, are well taken care off (carefull not to hit it, have it cleaned every 3-5 years)

the funny part, i have a $1000 hamilton X-wind with a swiss ETA 7750 Automatic movement and a $200 Seiko with a in house Seiko 5 automatic movement, the seiko is more accurate,
and the hamilton has allready been to the shop twice,

as for the colour, white is more classical for women, maybe with a pearl finish,

as the sh

Jan 31, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #2,554 of 14,275
My £600 TAG automatic is accurate as hell, i.e. it loses the odd second/month.

Jan 31, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #2,555 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My £600 TAG automatic is accurate as hell, i.e. it loses the odd second/month.

confused_face.gif
my £300 Traser BD Pro cost half that and gains less than a second every five weeks. It looks so good and is so reliable it has saved me spending a small fortune on a big name watch that would not match it for accuracy

Jan 31, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #2,556 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karlos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused_face.gif
my £300 Traser BD Pro cost half that and gains less than a second every five weeks. It looks so good and is so reliable it has saved me spending a small fortune on a big name watch that would not match it for accuracy

Accuracy is not the ultimate point of buying a mechanical watch, really. If you want absolute accuracy, buy something quartz.

Jan 31, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #2,557 of 14,275
Has this Traser got a Sapphire Crystal face which only a diamond could scratch? Also is it water resistant very far?

Jan 31, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #2,558 of 14,275
White if she has medium to fair skin and black if she has darker skin.

The point is to look fantasic without being too blingy and match with a lot of outfits.

If she has dark skin, I suggest the dark face because that way it will not stick out too much and the white face if she has lighter skin for the very same reason.

If it was me though, MOP all the say - that being said I am a very pale person.

Jan 31, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #2,559 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof07 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Accuracy is not the ultimate point of buying a mechanical watch, really. If you want absolute accuracy, buy something quartz.

Correct, mechanical watches have other purposes that are more tied to "old school" and the action of winding it on a regular basis.

Jan 31, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #2,560 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof07 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Considering Marathon makes one, I'd say yes.
atsmile.gif

I have 2 of the Marathon Watches -

The T-SAR Quartz with the stainless steel bracelet and the G-SAR Automatic. Both are very accurate and you can't beat the Tritium gas vials for night readability.

Jan 31, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #2,561 of 14,275
Yeah, it's true that it's better to have something that macthes the skin, but the problem is, they both match, haha... She has light skin tone, but the black doesn't really stand out so much - sometimes I think even the white one stands out more due to it's very shiny white and pearl inside.

But I am not very fussy in terms of exact accuracy - as long as it's not like 5-10 minutes off every month, then it's just fine.

By the way, I've been curious, if an automatic movement is said to have +/- 5-10 seconds a day margin of error, does it mean that depending on the exact watch sample, it will always have constant margin of error?

For example, if you know your watch is +5 seconds a day, will it always be +5 seconds a day, or can it be +5 seconds today, and maybe tomorrow it is -3 seconds, the day after +2 seconds, etc...?

Feb 1, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #2,562 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Correct, mechanical watches have other purposes that are more tied to "old school" and the action of winding it on a regular basis.

Bingo! Wearing a mechanical watch (manual or automatic wind) has nothing to do with accuracy. Unless you spend truly big bucks, accuracy as good as a $30 Timex quartz is not guaranteed. Even with the megabucks watches, you have to pay attention to them to get the best accuracy out of them (e.g. which way to let them sit at night).

Anyway, pics of the new Speedmaster Pro as promised:

sm1.jpg

sm2.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pix. I really need to buy a decent set of studio lights with diffusers. I find myself taking more and more pics like this and am increasingly dissatisfied with the results.

BTW, the chrono sweep hand is properly aligned. The angle from which the photo was taken makes it look off.

Feb 1, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #2,563 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, it's true that it's better to have something that macthes the skin, but the problem is, they both match, haha... She has light skin tone, but the black doesn't really stand out so much - sometimes I think even the white one stands out more due to it's very shiny white and pearl inside.

But I am not very fussy in terms of exact accuracy - as long as it's not like 5-10 minutes off every month, then it's just fine.

By the way, I've been curious, if an automatic movement is said to have +/- 5-10 seconds a day margin of error, does it mean that depending on the exact watch sample, it will always have constant margin of error?

For example, if you know your watch is +5 seconds a day, will it always be +5 seconds a day, or can it be +5 seconds today, and maybe tomorrow it is -3 seconds, the day after +2 seconds, etc...?

My experience is that temperature and its effect on the watch mainspring plays a part in the time variance. Hot weather - a little faster, cold - the opposite. Quartz time pieces, which use frequency oscillation, are not impacted this way.

Feb 1, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #2,565 of 14,275
By the way, I got a question about watch-selling practice in shops in general - although this might be something completely normal that I wasn't aware of all this time.

Is it very normal for a shop that sells expensive watch to carry ONLY one of each particular model (they don't have 2-3 'new in box' of the same model sitting around in a store)?

So that means, say if you are getting an Omega or Tag watch, they will actually give you the one they have on display instead of getting a completely new one from the back that has never been opened before?

It seems like it's pretty normal practice here in Sydney because I went to 2 large luxury watch shops and they are saying the exact same thing – due to the price of the watch, they can't really afford to order a few and stocks them and have to give the one on display to customer and the re-order 1 more again once the particular watch is sold.

So technically what we are paying is a display model watch at new price then? Has it always been like that?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back