Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Sep 17, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #2,386 of 14,288
My 5513

1.jpg

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #2,387 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by briank996 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 5513

1.jpg

Stunning no-date Sub! Love it!

RIDE

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #2,388 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof07 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That last strap is beautiful. Buffalo?

No...just normal leather with a really nice grain to it. The color is gorgeous as well...a real stunning strap.

RIDE

Sep 17, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #2,389 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by RIDE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No...just normal leather with a really nice grain to it. The color is gorgeous as well...a real stunning strap.

RIDE

The grain reminds me of shark skin.

Sep 18, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #2,390 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that a one off ? Never seen one like that before, looks great.

It *may* be. It is #1 of 5, but when I spoke with Omega Archive gang, it was the only one they had a record of production apparently. I don't normally like 'bling' on watches, but the baguette cut of the stones keeps it reasonaby subtle.

Sep 19, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #2,392 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by heycarnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just saw this thread while browsing (looking for headphone info...)

Some watches:

Patek Philippe 5016, Blancpain 1735, Patek Philippe 5004 (front and backs)
Audermars Piguet Equation of Time
Omega Speedmaster skeletonized

Nice Pateks, especially the 5004.
L3000.gif

Sep 19, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #2,393 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much did you pay for that Omega heycarnut?

Kind of a "how long is your thingy" kind of question
wink_face.gif

I picked this up from a European dealer. It had been ordered but apparently
the buyer backed out. It had been sitting in their vault since receipt (many years), so it was sent to Omega for a complete overhaul/restoration.
The archive staff advised me that the retail at the time of production (1994) was ~$125K,
sounds about right since the recent skeleton speedmaster on strap, no stones, produced in a series of 57 was ~$50K. I paid significantly less
normal_smile .gif

R

Sep 19, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #2,395 of 14,288
While I don't have anything near the caliber some of you have, I'm reasonably satisfied with my little collection. I've never been too fond of metal bands - I far prefer the feel of leather, as my selection should make obvious:

First, my everyday watch. Picked it up for $25 at the Boeing company store in Everett, WA. Very thin, very light (like the Movado mentioned later) and without a doubt the best watch in its price class I've ever seen. If I had my choice I'd remove the little plane at the end of the second hand but that's ignorable.

boeing.jpg

Next, a Swatch 007 Goldfinger model. I picked this up in 2001 in Switzerland while on a Europe tour with my High School band. I still wear it from time to time, but not as much recently due to the plastic face scratching easily. I should find some time to get it in for repair (the chronograph function no longer works) and polishing/face replacement/whatever one of these days.

swatch.jpg

Finally, my latest prize. Movado Men's Museum Model. Back when I first looked at serious watches, I fell in love with the minimastic look of Movado - possibly this exact model. I've been watching it sit at $175 on the local Craigslist for the last couple months; yesterday it dropped to $100 and I gave in and pounced on it. Essentially brand new - bought in 1997 and worn only once since the owner also had a metal-band Movado he wears daily. New battery only cost me $7.65 and it appears to work beautifully.

movado.jpg

Sep 21, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #2,396 of 14,288
NOTE: not my pics, my camera (dropped it while ahving a lens on, smashed epically) is broken, but they are essentially what i am about to post.

Lacoste Watch (my one has the same face, but rubber straps imitating some sort of crocodile skin). This is my rough watch, ie playing sports/sailing/surfing/getting hammered with dodgy people.

3lacoste.jpg

Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date Circa 1973. Got this off my dad, my daily use watch, ie school/going out and not getting hammered/etc. Mine has a greyisher face, and is slightly scratched.

41vb%2Be7%2BGdL._SS500_.jpg

Patek Philippe

My Special Occasion watch, ie weddings/birthdays/dinners. immaculate Condition.

3468.jpg

I dont really like watches with "bling". The last 2 watches I got off my dad. My small collection, which i will no doubt expand when I go to college/get a job
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 23, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #2,398 of 14,288
So my 173 should be coming in this week(its already late), and I've been introduced to the world of custom watches. Here's some ideas I've considered:

customideas.jpg

customseiko2.jpg

What do you guys think? Leave it alone, no text, stealth, seiko, seiko automatic? It'll be on a black bund watch, or a black zulu.

Sep 23, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #2,399 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by nineohtoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So my 173 should be coming in this week(its already late), and I've been introduced to the world of custom watches. Here's some ideas I've considered:

customideas.jpg

customseiko2.jpg

What do you guys think? Leave it alone, no text, stealth, seiko, seiko automatic? It'll be on a black bund watch, or a black zulu.

Last pic + the red "Diver" text.
beerchug.gif

Sep 23, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #2,400 of 14,288
^I like that suggestion a lot:

customidea3.jpg

The face doesn't look so busy or cluttered anymore, but still has a classic feel to it. It's only gonna cost maybe around $80, and take about 2-3 weeks. I was thinking of getting a separate watch to have it done on so my wrist isn't empty. I'll probably go pick up another watch and have it done the same way, so I can have one "stock" looking watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back