Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Aug 14, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #2,311 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kevin,
Will you be my new daddy? I promise to be good
wink_face.gif

I bartend on weekends (how else can I afford audio and scuba?) and I always wear my Tag Kirium Ti5 titanium watch with a vulcanized rubber strap (pictured in this thread 10,000 posts ago). With the Sapphire crystal and the heat treated strap, I have dipped it repeatedly into deep icy beer buckets and taken it down to 120' during dive trips for 8 years with only 2 battery changes, as far as maintenance goes.

One son is about all I can handle, but I'm sure you would be a good one! Maybe we can discuss if you'll promise to take care of me and the Mrs. in the fashion we've become accustomed to when we get to our old age...
icon10.gif

Tag makes a good watch, for sure.

Aug 14, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #2,313 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sapphire is not unscratchable...trust me I have had sapphire faces on most of my recent watches... all have seen their fair amount of scratches... but they get a lot of use too...

Of course it's not, but what watch(es)? I'd like to see that. You'd have to be wearing the watch while making a diamond tossed salad or digging holes in your boron carbide garden.

I wonder if your watches really have a pure sapphire crystal and not something coated or just mineral glass.

I've a Tag that's ~15 years old. I beat the hell out of, had the bezel replaced, etc. About 3 months after I got it, I forgot that it was on my arm. The newness wore off and so did my concern. I am slack-jawed, bewildered, mystified the crystal still doesn't have mark one. It's freakin' magic!

Aug 14, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #2,314 of 14,276
Quote:

Sapphire is not unscratchable...trust me I have had sapphire faces on most of my recent watches... all have seen their fair amount of scratches... but they get a lot of use too...

Are you sure that's sapphire? I've not been able to scratch my sapphire-faced watches... with pretty rough use. I'm a tad clumsy so I tend to scrape corners, especially in crowded Asia, and so far only the bezel of my Hamilton Khaki is scraped, while the domed sapphire crystal is fine. Concrete actually gets smeared on the sapphire, sometimes, and I can wipe it off. XD

Aug 14, 2008 at 11:02 AM Post #2,315 of 14,276
Quote:

Interesting site.

How is this information tallied on a real-time basis? Some of it doesn't seem possible (especialy disease reporting and gas consumption). Is this guess-timate info
confused_face_2.gif

Its the yearly rate divided by however much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe, that Seiko's not Tungsten, it's Titanium. They are two very, very different metals.

Whoops, my mistake. It is titanium.

Quote:

Obviously, but it has a hardness rating of 9. While diamond has 10. So it'd only be scratched by harder stuff...which there isn't much of.

Stainless steel is 4.

Aug 14, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #2,316 of 14,276
oh wow, a watch thread too? cool!

I currently have a Tag Calibre 36 as my first "timepiece" lol

I aspire to get a PAM40 (Panerai) or a Tag Carrera down the road when I'm a bit more richer.

(25 more posts to go)

Aug 14, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #2,317 of 14,276
I don't recommend seiko titanium watches if you're not very careful; Mine picks up scratches, and they're extremely visable, and I'm not rough with it at all; most of the scratches were from the inside of computers.

On the other hand, it's incredibly lightweight.

I've heard of ways to remove them, but these aren't even surface scratches.

Aug 14, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #2,318 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by John E Woven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't recommend seiko titanium watches if you're not very careful; Mine picks up scratches, and they're extremely visable, and I'm not rough with it at all; most of the scratches were from the inside of computers.

On the other hand, it's incredibly lightweight.

I've heard of ways to remove them, but these aren't even surface scratches.

I do wonder why more watches are not made from Titanium, it is wickedly light and quite a bit stronger than steel. Strength/lightness is essential in many watches.

I wore my Casio when I was an Aircraft Engineer working on helicopters. That involved much poking around in tight spaces. Did not notice any scratches. It was gold-plated too, none of the gold rubbed off.

Aug 15, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #2,319 of 14,276
It is a sapphire coated face...

I do wear a lot of gemstones which could scratch it.

Sapphire faces are artificial sapphire - which has a hardness between a 7.5 and an 8.5 usually... Which means that garnet and other stones...like those I wear every day would be able to scratch it.Bracelets...rings... it all has the potential. They are all about 1/10th the width of a hair scratches...but they are still there.

Aug 15, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #2,320 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do wonder why more watches are not made from Titanium, it is wickedly light and quite a bit stronger than steel.

Same reason as with mountain bikes...$$$
redface.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #2,321 of 14,276
I used to have one of those Casio watches with the driving game I was always loosing to much time playing it so I gave it away! Doh! Wish I still had it.

Aug 15, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #2,322 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a pretty close modern equivalent, no?

DW5600E-1V - G-Shock - Timepiece - Products - CASIO

Nope. A DW-300 is a 300 meter depth watch designed for diving and was not part of the G-Shock line (who are typically only 200 Meter models).

Quote:

redface.gif

Ahhh....always wanted a Titanium bike. I've had to settle for Aluminum over the years with the rest of the unwashed masses.

Aug 15, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #2,324 of 14,276
Quote:

redface.gif

Not really, a bike frame is a hell of a lot bigger.

Besides, whats money got to do with it on a $10,000 Breitling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back