Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jan 2, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #1,831 of 14,295
Quote:

Originally Posted by Territhemayor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's particularly hard to take pictures of, but this is my best rolex.
V313.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

The first picture is the same watch, I suck at taking pictures.
This is a NOS 6541 Circa 1958 Rolex Milgauss. These were made for scientists working in highly magnetic areas.
There are other milgausses (The less rare 1019 specifically, and the new milgauss coming out this year) but this is by far the rarest.
Enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

YOWZA!!!! Now that is something special indeed!!!

Lucky man!

RIDE

Jan 2, 2008 at 9:17 AM Post #1,834 of 14,295
Quote:

Originally Posted by atart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
P.S. When it says automatic on the dial, what does that refer to? I know its something to do with the movement, but not sure what exactly.

When it says automatic on the dial, you can be sure that the watch is a mechanical watch (which is powered by a spring within), as opposed to a quartz watch (which runs on a battery).

The automatic or self-winding system uses the movements of the wearer to wind the mainspring in the watch.

As the wearer goes about his/her day, the movement of the hand spins a rotor within the movement. As the rotor spins, it winds the mainspring, which provides the necessary the energy to keep the watch running.

So as long as you wear the watch daily, your movements 'automatically' wind the watch, providing it with enough energy to keep it running accurately.

This is in contrast to a manual wind or hand-winding watch that requires the owner to wind the crown daily to charge the mainspring.

Hope this helps.

Jan 2, 2008 at 9:58 AM Post #1,835 of 14,295
Quote:

Originally Posted by atart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know much about watches, so pardon my ignorance.

But what's wrong with a Movado? I actually had a look at a few and thought they were OK.

The front runner as of now is:

Amazon.com: Tag Heuer Carrera: Jewelry & Watches: Tag Heuer

Any and all advice appreciated!

P.S. When it says automatic on the dial, what does that refer to? I know its something to do with the movement, but not sure what exactly.

Automatic = mechanical watch. The entire watch is completely driven by springs and gears in other words, not by a battery and a quartz crystal. Much more complex to make, and much more expensive to maintain in the long run...something you should keep in mind during your 10 year ownership. Expect to fork over ~$300-400 every 5 years for an overhaul to keep the watch running smoothly, and wait 2-3 months before getting the watch back. Think of it as the equivalent of a 60,000 mile overhaul for a car. The entire watch gets dismantled, parts get replaced if worn out, areas are re-oiled if necessary. Not for the faint of heart.

Also keep in mind mechanical watches are inherently not going to be anywhere near as accurate as quartz watches. It'll be a crapshoot getting one that happens to keep time within +-5-6 seconds a day, unless you get one that's COSC (that's Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres) certified.

If you just want a watch to tell time, stick to a quartz. If you want a watch that you will form a special bond with over the years, then consider a mechanical. For most of us in this thread though, getting one mechanical simply lead to another...and another...and another.

If you like that simple, classic look, you may also like the Omega Aqua Terra lineup. There's also a ton of models that look like that style among Seiko's lineup, quartz or mechanical. I would strongly recommend however that you simply pick up the watch WITH the bracelet at first, regardless of whether or not you like watches with bracelets. You may end up wanting to use it at some point, and it is MUCH more expensive picking up the bracelet seperately (~$300-$400) than it is just simply picking up an aftermarket strap (~$30-$60). You can always just sell the bracelet for a decent chunk of money if you really don't use it.

Jan 5, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #1,837 of 14,295
Quote:

Originally Posted by Territhemayor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The first picture is the same watch, I suck at taking pictures.
This is a NOS 6541 Circa 1958 Rolex Milgauss. These were made for scientists working in highly magnetic areas.
There are other milgausses (The less rare 1019 specifically, and the new milgauss coming out this year) but this is by far the rarest.
Enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Very nice!

Jan 7, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #1,840 of 14,295
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nasir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for a ~$500 watch for my mom. Only requirements are that the wristband be either gold or nonmetal. What do you guys suggest?

A Hamilton Jazzmaster like this one would be something I would buy for my mom (though I'm not sure if your mom has the same taste):

P10824498.jpg

It's currently $509 on overstock.com, and there are other models that are more simple in design if that's her style. I love Hamiltons, and I just purchased a Khaki King with the strap switched with an espresso colored leather calfskin band for Christmas. I'm planning on a Jazzmaster Viewmatic in the future.

Jan 8, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #1,841 of 14,295
Picture isn't as sharp on the face as I hoped, but here is my Sector Ocean Master. The clock/radio in the background is a Tangent Duo
smily_headphones1.gif

img1848mediumeu0.jpg

Jan 8, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #1,842 of 14,295
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After lurking for one of the military SAR watches and never got to materialize the deal, opted for getting this one for Xmas from Louis at watchess88, very nice gentleman to deal with highly recommended, Vertigo-1 gave me the tip, and will never regret the deal with him:

seiko.jpg

seikocloseup.jpg

Sovkiller, what model Seiko is this? I've been thinking of snagging a Grand Seiko on the higher side, or an Orange Monster on the lower side, but this one has caught my eye as well. How much was it too, if you don't mind my asking?

Jan 8, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #1,844 of 14,295
Quote:

Originally Posted by tooch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Picture isn't as sharp on the face as I hoped, but here is my Sector Ocean Master. The clock/radio in the background is a Tangent Duo
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's a similar pic in similar lighting....

orig.jpg

USG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back