Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Oct 30, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #751 of 14,276
Jose, I agree with most of what you say. It's just that, as soon as a wholesaler starts to push a company, it devalues the company's name.
Denon and Polk blew it, as soon as they allowed The Wiz, and Circuit City, to mass sell their products. Denon use to be a high-end only company, but now has resorted to selling low-end consumer products, which to me, has put a bad aura on their better stuff, like their highly acclaimed 3910 model. What saves the 3910, is that it is highly mod-able.
This is why companies like Rolex, won't allow anyone except for authorized dealers to sell their products.

Whenever I see someone wearing an Invicta, I automatically think of Martha Stewart and Joan Rivers, and Jaqueline Smith collections, and I can't take them seriously. Maybe I'm being materialistic, but isn't that half of what buying an expensive watch, is? I said half, the other half is high quality craftmanship, and history.

Oct 31, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #752 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
Acrylic is great because you can easily buff out the scratches yourself using Polywatch (about $5-$8 a tube and last you years). On the other hand mineral crystal seems to scratch against just my shirt cuff and sapphire is very durable but once a scratch is there, it’ll cost a pretty penny to replace (both of these look a bit more sterile on a watch).

1953 Omega RAF (approx. 6500 issued to Royal Airforce personnel)
CIMG0098.jpg

Cool, I have a Thin Arrow too. I use a metal polish called Autosol to polish my acrylic crystals.

Oct 31, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #754 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by mightyacorn
Cool, I have a Thin Arrow too. I use a metal polish called Autosol to polish my acrylic crystals.

Hey mightyacorn, do you frequent the MWR at broadarrow.net too? Is your RAF 53 thin arrow an original dial or was it also redialed at Bienne like my example?

Oct 31, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #755 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
Jose, I agree with most of what you say. It's just that, as soon as a wholesaler starts to push a company, it devalues the company's name.
Denon and Polk blew it, as soon as they allowed The Wiz, and Circuit City, to mass sell their products. Denon use to be a high-end only company, but now has resorted to selling low-end consumer products, which to me, has put a bad aura on their better stuff, like their highly acclaimed 3910 model. What saves the 3910, is that it is highly mod-able.
This is why companies like Rolex, won't allow anyone except for authorized dealers to sell their products.

Whenever I see someone wearing an Invicta, I automatically think of Martha Stewart and Joan Rivers, and Jaqueline Smith collections, and I can't take them seriously. Maybe I'm being materialistic, but isn't that half of what buying an expensive watch, is? I said half, the other half is high quality craftmanship, and history.

I'll concede most of what you say, except to say that for me the build quality and aesthetics of the watch count for far more than 50%. I look at a watch much the same way I look at headphones and electronics. Yes there are incredibly well made items that come from smaller manufacturers with more boutique or niche or historically noted reputations (ie Stax headphones or Cary Audio electronics) but there are manufacturers that still haven't lost their way and continue to build world class products, despite having made the move to the mainstream, or least the fringes thereof (ie AKG cans and Yamaha recievers). Yeah you lose a bit of the exclusivity and status that comes from owning a niche product but you can put the difference in the bank.

I guess my point is this, if Invicta went the route of companies like Timex and began making boring, safe looking timepieces that were bulletproof and inexpensive, but lacked inspiration I wouldn't look their way. But they continue to make exciting looking timepieces that get noticed and are built like a tank.

I can't tell you the number of oohs and ahhs I got when I wore my newest Lupah in to work. I may not knock the socks off of the afficianado's when they see its an Invicta, but even they will have to admit that it is very attractive, is an incredibly well made timepiece, and didn't have to absorb some incredible markup just for a name. I too may be a bit materialistic and a small bit of an attention seeking whore, but I'm still on a budget and I'm just not at the point where I can buy things simply for the status that they infer.

Nov 1, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #756 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
Hey mightyacorn, do you frequent the MWR at broadarrow.net too? Is your RAF 53 thin arrow an original dial or was it also redialed at Bienne like my example?

Yes, I don't visit MWR as much as I use too. My Omega 53 had it's "spa" treatment at Bienne. I think Omega had nos on the dials and is not a redial, they returned my original FA dial.

Nov 2, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #758 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose Perez
I just picked up another pair of watches.

and this automatic Troika London (the gold-toned face on the left):

Well that didn't last long. This watch died on me after only 3 days of ownership. The thing just would not let me change the time when I went to change it for daylight savings. I felt a grinding sensation as I rotated the crown and could see some fine dust or debris through the caseback. Needless to say it went back and I'm getting my money refunded. I figured I would take a chance with a newer brand since it looked really nice and went for only $200, but boy was I wrong. Fool me once...

I'm taking the $$ and getting another Citizen Eco-Drive. I really like the other one I bought this summer and it really does look and feel great on my wrist. This time I'm ordering their blue-faced Largo chronograph with the perpetual calendar. I was really leaning towards getting another SS bracelet watch before I picked up that Troika and should have listened to my gut. Anyways, here's a pic I found of it online:
BL5140-51L.jpg

Nov 2, 2005 at 8:57 PM Post #760 of 14,276
I have an Omega Seamaster Professional 300m Chronometer in Black (same as AllenF's but without the date magnifier (nice mod btw!)).

IMHO it's an excellent watch.

Nov 2, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #762 of 14,276
I agree, I love mine too (watch not wife lol).

I've had mine for 4.5 years and it's still going strong.

Not sure how often they need servicing??

Nov 2, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #763 of 14,276
The recommendation rule of thumb of watches is 5 years before a full servicing. I've heard other people say you shouldn't touch it unless there is change in the accuracy.

Nov 2, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #765 of 14,276
Over on the watch forums they reckon about every 3 years for a 28000 bph movement...which I would guess is conservative: have it serviced when it's accuracy changes..?
Recently I had mine adjusted by the watch repairer (who did the date lens)...it had begun to lose about 5 secs/day in a gradual process.
It is now running at +/- 0.5 secs per day - that will do!
Cost me £20!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back