Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Apr 27, 2005 at 12:27 AM Post #451 of 14,276
I wanted the Submariner that was 2-tone (gold/stainless) with a blue face, but it was ridiculously expensive. I opted for the model witout a date. Took me 2 years to pay off.
2136Sub1-med.JPG

Apr 27, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #452 of 14,276
immtbiker said:
I wanted the Submariner that was 2-tone (gold/stainless) with a blue face, but it was ridiculously expensive. I opted for the model witout a date. Took me 2 years to pay off.

nah man,

i'd go for that watch over the blue submarier anyday. That watch yer describing is around 5-6 grand im thinking also. I'm not roling like that anytime soon.

Apr 27, 2005 at 12:55 AM Post #453 of 14,276
If you don't mind me asking Immtbiker, how muc would a Submariner like that run a guy? I've been drooling over that exact model you have for a year now, I can't wait until I graduate and get a real job so I can be in debt (thanks Head-Fi!)
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #454 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by mahkook
I posted before about my collection of Wile E. Coyote watches, but have since then added several new ones. My collection

wow dude... that's a lot of Wile E. Coyote watches! that's quite a collection you've got there, i couldn't even go through all the photos. i particularly liked the embossed looking one.

i just got a new watch last week... an Oakley Judge in Polished Stainless Steel finish with a Copper dial.
showimg.jpg

and the collection...
showimg.jpg

Apr 27, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #455 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
If you don't mind me asking Immtbiker, how muc would a Submariner like that run a guy? I've been drooling over that exact model you have for a year now, I can't wait until I graduate and get a real job so I can be in debt (thanks Head-Fi!)
biggrin.gif

Thaddy, I have been dreaming of owning a sub since high school, but took me another 20 years to actually afford one. Don't rush as these are the last things you should buy with your extra money.

A non-date submariner would be about $3.2K and one with date would be about $4.2K new from an authorized dealer. Make sure you get it from an authrorized dealer from a warranty and peace of mind stand point (lots of fakes). You can probably get an 8% discount depending on availability.

The non-date submariner is not only missing date (doh!), but is also not a certified superlative chronometer. It doesn't mean anything (more of a marketing trick) cause they are both not as accurate as an el cheapo quartz watch anyway and I read somewhere that they have the same accuracy except the non-date is not submitted for certification. Lots of people prefer the non-date as the fisheye thingy over the date is not as elegant. I needed the date so I coughed up the extra dough.

Apr 27, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #456 of 14,276
how about a vintage GMT like mine? I'm sure you can get a sweet deal on them. If you like, you can get them with a black dial as well, looks similar to the submariner. Also you get an extra hand that does cool stuff if u want(2 time zones).

I've seen them on ebay for in the 1500 ish range.
The rolex look is timeless, you don't have to get one brand spanking new.

BTW PATB, chronometer does mean something, any watch called chronometer has to pass this 15 day long ridiculous and strict test in order to be deemed chronometer. It's a pretty special thing u should know!

Apr 27, 2005 at 1:47 AM Post #457 of 14,276
I got mine at Tourneau for $3K, with no tax (had it mailed to a friend, out of state to avoid tax)...and the date version was $3600. Rolex's are not allowed to be discounted, else the store loses his dealership. Tourneau was able to swindle a deal, by offering $300 for any trade in, so Rolex can't get pissed. I also got a Tourneau pen, and a $50 Morton's Steakhouse gift certificate. The price has gone up since 2003.
In my box, it states that it is a certified superlative chronometer, so I am confused about Pat's comment. I was concerned that I wasn't getting the same quality, due to the verbage not being on the watch, but the salesman broke out the Rolex Literature to quell my concerns. According to Rolex there is no difference except the date and the cyclops. I wanted the date, but not the cyclops magnifying square, and was about to buy the Sea Dweller, but it was more money and goes deeper (both, which I didn't want).
I have taken the watch to 150' on many occasions, and it has worked flawlessly...however, as PatB says, a $20 Timex does keep more accurate time. The feel and jeweled precision, is unlike anything else, I have experienced in any other piece of equipment. It makes you feel good when you wear it.

I am 45 and was able to finance for 24 months, interest free. I don't think I would have bought it in my 20's unless, I was well off.
This forum has a large varience in age, and that makes it really cool. They say that guys can get along from 18 to 80, but women like to stay in their own age circle. But when someone in college, makes a derogatory remark like, "how can you spend so much on a CD player", or in this case, a watch, they need to take into consideration 25 years of employment and children, and a mortgage, and hopefully being in college, will enable them to enjoy life, more in their 30's, 40's and 50's.
Having a great portable setup, and a nice $300 watch, would be the equivalent, of a Rolex and a Wadia, for a young man in his early 20's.

Just as long as your happy, and don't try to hurt anybody. Enjoy!
(Sorry for the rant...but it pertains to other threads as well).

Apr 27, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #458 of 14,276
I am 45 and was able to finance for 24 months, interest free. I don't think I would have bought it in my 20's unless, I was well off.
This forum has a large varience in age, and that makes it really cool. They say that guys can get along from 18 to 80, but women like to stay in their own age circle. But when someone in college, makes a derogatory remark like, "how can you spend so much on a CD player", or in this case, a watch, they need to take into consideration 25 years of employment and children, and a mortgage, and hopefully being in college, will enable them to enjoy life, more in their 30's, 40's and 50's.
Having a great portable setup, and a nice $300 watch, would be the equivalent, of a Rolex and a Wadia, for a young man in his early 20's.

Wow you know that's a really good comment to make... It nails it on the head i think. Personally i'm pretty fortunate in the sense i was able to make alot of cash then run off and squander it since i lived at home for awhile. When i made 2 grand and was able to afford one of my watches, no problem.. Had i been in a different situation, NO WAy! Nowadays especially, no way... I don't even know how i manage to secure enough money to be here and buy any audio gear (I manage it somehow, lots of penny pinching).

Yet, anyone who is my peer at school, and is eager to be jealous of soemthig i have i'll let them know rather quickly i worked real hard to buy this stuff, and i also am rather fortunate. It's hard for alot of young guys to fathom actually working really hard to have this sort of stuff, especially after you see it blasted in your face by popular culture. I mean look at how hard 50 cent has to work to wear probablly a 30 grand watch? I guess life sometimes just aint fair. Yet you can get something pretty cool given what you have available (like immitbiker suggests).

Apr 27, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #459 of 14,276
Good stories and advice guys, I enjoyed reading them. Even though I'm 21, I still like to think I have a pretty solid idea of what I'd like to be doing 5 years down the road, and how much money I'd like to dedicate to my own place and car (things you need). However, I'm the type that would happily work many overtime hours so I can afford the nicer things in life. My parents never gave in to me when I was younger, I always had to work for the things that I wanted. It will be a nice feeling when I can finally purchase some nice audio equipment, watches, etc. knowing that I worked my butt off to get them
biggrin.gif

Hey, who says Head-Fi just offers headphone advice?

Apr 27, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #460 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
According to Rolex there is no difference except the date and the cyclops.

Rumor has it that the non-date has a different movement that is not submitted for certification to the C.O.S.C., so the watch does not come with a chronometer seal and does not carry the "Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified" marking on the watch itself. If yours came with the seal, then the info I got at timezone.com is just Internet lore! I just browsed the Rolex site and cannot find the Submariner non-date model so can't double check the info.

EDIT: As immtbiker said, an authorized dealer needs approval from Rolex to deviate from MSRP. This is how Rolex controls the value of the watches. However, from experience, you can get 8-10% on most models (Explorer 2, Datejust, non-date submariner, Sea Dweller Yachtmaster, GMT) without much haggling. Daytonas and date submariners are hard to get with a discount. I bought mine at the same time my business partner bought his yachmaster from the same store and we both received a "Tax" discount (8%). I also went back the following week to buy a datejust for my wife and got the "tax discount" even without asking for it! When you are ready to purchase, hang around at the Rolex forum of timezone.com to learn as much as you can.

Apr 27, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #461 of 14,276
I have recently been obsessing over watches, but just as my headphone obsession the collection is really non-existent except for a few cheap/decent pieces. Anyway, the reason I'm butting in is because I just discovered the beauty that is overstock.com. I mean I knew about overstock but I just now thought to look at watches over there... wow... very pretty and at decent prices too. I just thought I'd share:

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....ID=4&STL_ID=15

Enjoy... and sorry about your wallet
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #462 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by ticomojo
I have recently been obsessing over watches, but just as my headphone obsession the collection is really non-existent except for a few cheap/decent pieces. Anyway, the reason I'm butting in is because I just discovered the beauty that is overstock.com. I mean I knew about overstock but I just now thought to look at watches over there... wow... very pretty and at decent prices too. I just thought I'd share:

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....ID=4&STL_ID=15

Enjoy... and sorry about your wallet
biggrin.gif

You better be. I'm already lusting after 2 watches on the first page.

Apr 28, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #464 of 14,276
Just ordered this piece off of ebay.
eb_1_b.JPG

I know there is a general dislike for the huge wave of "GermAsian" watches that are flooding the market, but I really liked the look of this one and couldn't pass up the $80 price
eggosmile.gif

Apr 28, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #465 of 14,276
I decided that I just couldn't bring myself to spend the $$ for a Panerai or a Cartier, and decided to go with an Omega Double Eagle instead (for a heck of a lot less money). Check it out (stock pic till my wife brings back my digital camera):

jomashop_1841_11974579

Users who are viewing this thread

Back