Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Apr 13, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #421 of 14,276
animal0501big.gif

Apr 13, 2005 at 11:36 AM Post #422 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
Couldn't stand it any longer, so I bought one of these. Watch fund is very much depleted now, so no new watches for a while. I do plan to get some nicer straps for this one though. A brown crocodile strap, and a black leather strap would both look very sweet on this watch, IMO.

breitling795.jpg

oh beautiful! another breitling!

biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #424 of 14,276
Here is a picture of the Navitimer and the Colt. The Navitimer is not small, at 41mm (43mm with crown), but the Colt is simply gargantuan.

Breitling007.jpg

Apr 14, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #425 of 14,276
Sorry for the crappy pic, it's tough to take a pic with only one hand.

Apr 14, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #427 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
Sorry for the crappy pic, it's tough to take a pic with only one hand.

I like your watches alot! Personally i would've gone for the white gold bracelet with the interesting pattern as in the generic picture you pasted of the watch intitally, i've felt that watch on my wrist, it felt like a paper weight. Congrats on the recent watches, i know it's an addictive hobby.

Off topic
Just curious how alot of you guys deal with self winding watches?

I've tried to shake them up a bit each day, it helps not a bit, i have to generally go through phases wehere i where either the rolex or tag 6000 chronometer, and if im ultra lazy i just wear my kirium which has a battery.

What do you guys use to shake up the watches?

Apr 14, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #428 of 14,276
Thanks mjg!

Re: the band, I used to love metal bands, but I've never had one hold up and look nice over time. They always need touching up and re-polishing, a pain, IMO. The blue leather band on the navitimer matches the blue face, and works very well when I wear my blue, white, or grey clothes. Plus it's actually a lot less likely to get scuffed or have "desk rash" happen to it. I used to have a Rolex Submariner which I replaced the band on it because the steel band just got too scratched up over time and upkeep was a bother.

Here's a bit better shot of the Navitimer, still somewhat crappy, but hopefully gives an impression of it's elegance...

Breitling2.jpg

Apr 14, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #429 of 14,276
Here's another comparison shot of the Navitimer and the Colt, from the back. The composition is fun because it contains 3 of my favorite things - Scotch, Watches, and Headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Breitling2001.jpg

Apr 14, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #431 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
Off topic
Just curious how alot of you guys deal with self winding watches?
I've tried to shake them up a bit each day, it helps not a bit, i have to generally go through phases wehere i where either the rolex or tag 6000 chronometer, and if im ultra lazy i just wear my kirium which has a battery.
What do you guys use to shake up the watches?

It's interesting that we have the same tastes in brands of watches. I have a T5 Kirium and a Submariner.

For my Bell&Ross and my Submariner, I used to try to switch off, everyday so they wouldn't wind down. But it was a logistical nightmare. There are many sub-$100 watch winders on EBay. I got one for $60 with rechargables that last a month, and rotate in 3 directions. When I wear the Tag, one of the others, has to die, because I never really get the promised power reseerve. They say it's bad to let the watch wind down because the lube gets gummy, but I know guys with Rolex's from the 60's and '70's that say "feh" to that theory, and theirs work fine.

Apr 15, 2005 at 7:20 AM Post #432 of 14,276
i know - it's a daily dilemma for me:

1. shall i let my watches run down? that way, i would save the movement from some wear and tear.

or

2. should i keep them wound all the time by using a winder? that way, i keep the lube from gumming up.

frown.gif

PS: i'm looking for something relatively inexpensive (<$500) that is automatic, and looks somewhat classy. something along the lines of a breitling montbrillant (ref132) or a hamilton lloyd. any suggestions?

Apr 22, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #435 of 14,276
I'm having a hard time deciding which of these 2 I should get. I can only afford one, and I love the looks of both. 1st, the Cartier Santos 100:

gp04_cartier_santos100_01.jpg

Or, the Panerai Marina Militare:

lummarinamilitare.jpg

Obvously, going to put a hole in my pocket, having a very hard time deciding....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back