Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Feb 23, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #11,206 of 14,276
@moedawg140 what ya think of G-Shock Steel series ? Would love to hear yr take on them ? It's not the MT-G but sure looks good 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #11,208 of 14,276
  @moedawg140 what ya think of G-Shock Steel series ? Would love to hear yr take on them ? It's not the MT-G but sure looks good 
tongue_smile.gif

Here's my take on the G-Steel series, my friend:

Casio G-Shock G-Steel and MT-G Comparisons
 ​

Above is the a picture of the entire Generation 1 G-Steel G-Shocks, and they are almost the same size as my MT-G.

Below are the Generation 2 G-Steel G-Shocks (same size and weight as the Generation 1 G-Steel G-Shocks):

I have not seen the second generation G-Steel in person yet, but based on the pictures and my knowledge of the similar face (looks very similar to my Generation 3 Bluetooth G'MIX G-Shock), I prefer the face of the Generation 1 G-Steel.

There are a few features that should be taken into consideration before deciding to purchase, since both are different with the features that they offer:

Generation 1 G-Steel:
  1. Solar Powered
  2. LED light
  3. Does not have a second hand
  4. Does not have Multi-Band 6/Atomic timing
  5. Stainless steel and resin (depends on model)
  6. Weights: 195g (steel) 184g (resin)

Generation 2 G-Steel:
  1. Is not Solar Powered
  2. LED light
  3. Does have a second hand
  4. Does not have Multi-Band6/Atomic timing
  5. Stainless steel and resin (depends on model)
  6. Weights: 195g (steel) 184g (resin)

Comparing to the at least 3 times in price up to 6 times in price MT-G (depending on specific MT-G model)
  1. Solar Powered
  2. Does not have a LED light (Neo-brite luminous hands)
  3. Does have a second hand
  4. Dual time
  5. Multi-Band 6/Atomic timing
  6. Core Guard Structure w/Alpha Gel
  7. Sapphire Crystal w/Anti-Glare coating
  8. Forged Stainless Steel Caseback
  9. Layered Panel Composite Band (Solid Stainless Steel & Fine Resin)
  10. Weight: 188g 

Below is the Generation 2 MT-G (Weight: 198g).  These MT-G's include the newly implemented for the MT-G lineup GPS Signal Reception (auto or manual) hybrid radio-controlled solar-powered system for time or time & position:

Here's the Baselworld Generation 2 MT-G, on my wrist:

Make sure to try on timepieces such as the G-Steel and MT-G lineup - and really spend some time with them in the store since they can be heavy and/or large to some people.  Purchasing a resin G-Steel is a way to offset some weight if the load of the all-steel is a slight burden as well.

If I was to purchase a G-Steel, I would look into the Black + Gold Generation 1, or the Black + Bronze Generation 2, shown below:

Feb 24, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #11,210 of 14,276
  I'm thinking I want to pick up a Steinhart soon. I just can't decide between the Ocean 1 Black GMT, or their premium ocean 1 I think they call it like the titanium 500, the one that has a bit more of a unique design. I'm leaning toward the GMT, and I do have a use for the GMT function, plus it's a bit cheaper, though not enough to really make the difference. I wish the GMT had the A10 movement and a display caseback like the ocean 1 premiums. Although I'm waiting for CanJam, so it's very likely the money I'm planning on spending on a Steinhart will be gone after that haha.

Also, this isn't necessary until the summer, but what does everyone recommend for a nice, reliable, functional, relatively inexpensive, tough watch? I'm going to need basically a "throw-around" watch that I don't have to worry about. I love automatics, but I don't think that would be the best for this purpose. I'm thinking maybe a G-shock. Moedawg, any recommendations?

There are a plethora of models of G-Shocks that perform various functions.  It may be easier to focus on certain features/colors/styles and then go from there.

If you can answer the following questions, I may be able to assist with regards to narrowing down choices for you:

• What is your budget?
  • What style are you looking for?
  • What material(s) (steel or resin) are you looking for?
  • What colorway(s) are you looking for?
  • Do you want/need Multiband 6/Atomic timekeeping?
  • Do you want/need solar power?
  • Do you want/need exemplary analog and/or digital time reading?
  • Do you want/need a negative face or a positive face (or do not mind at all)?

These are just a few questions that should be taken into consideration when you want to purchase a G-Shock.

Post #10969 of this thread shows my wife and I's current G-Shock collection (she owns the 2 Baby G's and the Limited Edition S Series Supra + G-Shock Collaboration [White]): http://www.head-fi.org/t/70190/watches-another-passion-of-ours-it-seems-post-your-pics/10965#post_12174764.

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #11,211 of 14,276
Bought two new ones since last visit this thread. :)

My first radioactive watch, lume should last 25 years, Luminox 4241 ANU steel series, none of those lightweight polycarbonate carbon for me, it just doesn't feel right.

The detail on the backcover is amazing.

A retro calculator watch. :)

Not really a watch, but it does tell time, live view watch for my actioncam. :)

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #11,212 of 14,276
A retro calculator watch.
smily_headphones1.gif

eek.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

I own this watch! I'll have to find it now. It's somewhere in the boxes in the garage.
I used it for years in the late 80's and early 90's to have a calculator with me while doing business on the road. It was very handy not to have a calculator that I had to carry around separately.
Man, that brings back memories.

Feb 24, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #11,213 of 14,276

eek.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

I own this watch! I'll have to find it now. It's somewhere in the boxes in the garage.
I used it for years in the late 80's and early 90's to have a calculator with me while doing business on the road. It was very handy not to have a calculator that I had to carry around separately.
Man, that brings back memories.

I used to owned the tv remote version in the nineties, messed around with the teachers in class when they tried to show us boring documentaries.
tongue.gif

this one to be exact 

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #11,214 of 14,276

There are a plethora of models of G-Shocks that perform various functions.  It may be easier to focus on certain features/colors/styles and then go from there.

If you can answer the following questions, I may be able to assist with regards to narrowing down choices for you:

• What is your budget?
  • What style are you looking for?
  • What material(s) (steel or resin) are you looking for?
  • What colorway(s) are you looking for?
  • Do you want/need Multiband 6/Atomic timekeeping?
  • Do you want/need solar power?
  • Do you want/need exemplary analog and/or digital time reading?
  • Do you want/need a negative face or a positive face (or do not mind at all)?

These are just a few questions that should be taken into consideration when you want to purchase a G-Shock.

Post #10969 of this thread shows my wife and I's current G-Shock collection (she owns the 2 Baby G's and the Limited Edition S Series Supra + G-Shock Collaboration [White]): http://www.head-fi.org/t/70190/watches-another-passion-of-ours-it-seems-post-your-pics/10965#post_12174764.

1. Under $200, preferably closer to $100. I'm not too sure what your money gets you in terms of G-shocks, though. 

2. I really have no particular preference here, I like the G-Shock look in general.

3. Again, no particular preference here. I like both!

4. Probably something a bit more inconspicuous, or at least as far as G-Shocks go haha. Black or a dark blue probably, maybe white, but no neon colors. 

5. Atomic timekeeping would be nice. Not necessary, but nice. 

6. It would be nice, but definitely don't need it. I'd want atomic timekeeping more than solar.

7. I like just digital displays, and I like the incorporation of analog as well. I don't have too much of a preference. 

8. No preference.

Thanks for the advice!

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #11,215 of 14,276

1. Under $200, preferably closer to $100. I'm not too sure what your money gets you in terms of G-shocks, though. 

2. I really have no particular preference here, I like the G-Shock look in general.

4. Probably something a bit more inconspicuous, or at least as far as G-Shocks go haha. Black or a dark blue probably, maybe white, but no neon colors. 

6. It would be nice, but definitely don't need it. I'd want atomic timekeeping more than solar.

7. I like just digital displays, and I like the incorporation of analog as well. I don't have too much of a preference. 

8. No preference.

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks for the answers!

Based on your preferences, I've narrowed down the G-Shock(s) I think would be great to add to your collection:

This is the classic 6900 look (GW6900GW-7), and is not too small and is not too big - also this model has Multiband 6/Atomic timekeeping.  Easiest place to find it is on fleabay for under $100:

The GWX8900D-2 model (I own the neon version), is Solar Powered, and has Multiband 6/Atomic timekeeping, Moon and Tide Graphs and can be purchased at fleabay (retail is $150) for less than $100:

The Riseman is an older series that can be purchased for under $200 on fleabay.  The Riseman has an altimeter, barometer and Multiband 6/Atomic timekeeping.  This model is one of the lightest-in-weight G-Shocks available.

Positive face Riseman:

Negative face Riseman:

GA-1000/1100 lineup - dual sensor: compass, thermometer, no Multi Band 6/Atomic timekeeping - this is a step up from the all-resin models (these models contain resin bands)
Usually $250 retail, but you can get it for around $184 on fleabay (more or less depending on specific model):

The AWGM100 series have Multiband 6/Atomic timekeeping Analog and Digital timekeeping and can be purchased via fleabay for under $100 (retail $150):

If you want the most feature-rich G-Shock for the overall lowest price, the Rangeman lineup is the answer.

Rangeman models - triple sensor: altimeter, digital compass, thermometer/barometer
Solar Powered
Multiband 6/Atomic timekeeping
Usually $300 retail, but you can get it for under $200 on fleabay (more or less depending on specific model)

The colors above can be had for under $200, but the limited edition colors (such as blue, white) costs more or significantly more than $200 ($480 retail for the white Burton limited edition).

Let us know what you decide to get if you purchase!

Feb 25, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #11,216 of 14,276

8. No preference.

Thanks for the advice!

Try to check here as well, these sites might help you find those according to your needs: Trusted Reviews or Watch Timely
I think I found some that are around your budget, check the sub pages, see some reviews, etc. I can imagine that a black or a dark blue G-Shock will be cool! 
beerchug.gif

Feb 25, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #11,217 of 14,276
Prior to the last few posts, I'd never heard of "negative face" but I like it. Dammit, now I'm going to have to look into those and would welcome any input from those that know more about G Shocks than I do (which would be almost anyone). 

Feb 25, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #11,218 of 14,276
Prior to the last few posts, I'd never heard of "negative face" but I like it. Dammit, now I'm going to have to look into those and would welcome any input from those that know more about G Shocks than I do (which would be almost anyone). 

Technical term for "negative/positive face": "negative/positive display". :normal_smile :

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #11,219 of 14,276
Technical term for "negative/positive face": "negative/positive display

HeHeHe, King Master "G" at your service
wink_face.gif

Forgot to post up yesterday
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back