Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jan 12, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #11,056 of 14,276
I've found Rolex buyers fall into generally 3 categories:
(1)The enthousiast who loves watches. they've wanted a Rollie for years and eventually pile up enough money to buy one (that would be me). They know what it's going to cost to buy and they know that service is going to hurt. They do it anyway. They're going to wear it and live with the 5-10 year service interval (or more frequently if they're into enduro racing).
(2) The collector who buys not so much as a daily wearer but as part of a carefully maintained collection. They don't actually wear it very much so service costs may not be that significant.
(3) The guy who wants a top quality every day watch but doesn't know much about Rolex other than their reputation. They treat their Submarinner or Datejust like a Gshock. Those are the guys buying the wrong watch, if only because they don't realize a Rolex, while being probably the toughest mechanical movement available, is still much more fragile than a Gshock.

I don't know about that, when you are just starting out you don't really think about service needs in the years going forward. Pretty much just the initial cost of the watch, The non date sub was fine pretty much as durable as most thjngs out there. But at about the 5 year mark I unloaded hard, racing 2 day qualifier ( Enduro off road motorcycle competion ) damaged stem and tube, cost almost 1.5 time the initial cost of the watch and several months. But at that point I was pretty attached to the watch. But bottom line I paid the fees, so not the wrong watch just a watch, like any other just an absurd price to service. I also had a big date dual time Ulysis Nardin ( which jndeed was nicer ) which was a bad to have serviced as well. In contrast the ETA based watches ( Oris, Tag, Boluva, Ollech and Wass etc ) we're comparativly cheap to service and maintain. And honestly every bit as nice.

While I don't doubt that's true for part of the market, look at the hi-fi audio market. I'm sure there are lots of people on this website who own $5K to $10K setups for whom it is not easy disposable income, and for whom high cost of long term ownership of the equipment on the order of a Rolex would be a problem.

Same is true for watches. There are many serious enthusiasts who would save for a Rolex because it's an iconic brand with the idea they are buying a heirloom quality piece for whom the service costs would be a major problem. For example, a Rolex sub is a classic to own if you are dive watch collector.

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #11,057 of 14,276
I've found Rolex buyers fall into generally 3 categories:
(1)The enthousiast who loves watches. they've wanted a Rollie for years and eventually pile up enough money to buy one (that would be me). They know what it's going to cost to buy and they know that service is going to hurt. They do it anyway. They're going to wear it and live with the 5-10 year service interval (or more frequently if they're into enduro racing).
(2) The collector who buys not so much as a daily wearer but as part of a carefully maintained collection. They don't actually wear it very much so service costs may not be that significant.
(3) The guy who wants a top quality every day watch but doesn't know much about Rolex other than their reputation. They treat their Submarinner or Datejust like a Gshock. Those are the guys buying the wrong watch, if only because they don't realize a Rolex, while being probably the toughest mechanical movement available, is still much more fragile than a Gshock.

I can see most of those comments as valid. But the that entry level Rolex ( non date ) sub was the Gshock of it's time ( as Gshock wasn't around yet ). Well made and as durable as anything at the time. Yes it was a bit more than the other brands available. That said it was meant to be worn and used in challenging conditions. And while I like the look, it's clean it's not quite the same look as the GMT, Datejust or the Daytona. I certainly can understand the saving up for an iconic heratige watch, my Ulysis Nardin fit that catagory, rather than what I call daily wearers. I know for some folks it's easy to put away and wear only once in awhile, like a nice cars that spends most it's life in the garage. I probably just have more of a need then some to take them out and use them all said in done I'm content as a daily wearer. Someday I will have a magic watch.

Jan 13, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #11,058 of 14,276
Picked up a Citizens watch today. I have never owned a Citizens  before. Consequently don't know much about the Eco Drive. I have always liked their 48 mm Promaster diver.This particular watch the " Shadow Hawk " Eco-Drive Chronograph  has that nice 70's, 80's Chronograph look. It's easily readable 43 mm solid stainless with stainless band. It was hard to resist as it was on sale and very affordable.

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #11,060 of 14,276
Jan 14, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #11,061 of 14,276
Great looking watch sgl54

This is me Citizen Sailhawk

It's a nice looking watch. I have always like that traditional " Submariner" look, well done right as you're Sailhawk is. I haven't figured out the why's of the naming conventions. Shadowhawk, Sailhawk, Navihawk, Nighthawk, Skyhawk etc any ideas?

Jan 14, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #11,062 of 14,276

That is a sweet looking watch. Is it Ecco drive too?

It says so on the dial... so... yeah. 
wink_face.gif

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #11,063 of 14,276

That is a sweet looking watch. Is it Ecco drive too?

It's a nice looking watch. I have always like that traditional " Submariner" look, well done right as you're Sailhawk is. I haven't figured out the why's of the naming conventions. Shadowhawk, Sailhawk, Navihawk, Nighthawk, Skyhawk etc any ideas?

Yup ..its Eco Drive.

In my research ...iirc ..all the Hawk name series ....
designed as a tool for pilots, but is also handy for traveling. The most basic feature, apart from time and date, is the GMT function. This allows you to have two time-zones represented on your watch and also good for travelling purpose.

The most basic functions are the slide rule: division, multiplication, conversion of distances, as well as one practical real-life usage. For more complicated tasks, I recommend scouring youtube, as there are plenty of instructional videos there.
Or me could be wrong ! muahahahaaa.......Sailhawk is for sea faring adventurer ...which I'm not ..LOL 

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #11,064 of 14,276
Yup ..its Eco Drive.

In my research ...iirc ..all the Hawk name series .... [COLOR=231F20]designed as a tool for pilots, but is also handy for traveling. The most basic feature, apart from time and date, is the GMT function. This allows you to have two time-zones represented on your watch and also good for travelling purpose.[/COLOR]

The most basic functions are the slide rule: division, multiplication, conversion of distances, as well as one practical real-life usage. For more complicated tasks, I recommend scouring youtube, as there are plenty of instructional videos there.

Or me could be wrong ! muahahahaaa.......Sailhawk is for sea faring adventurer ...which I'm not ..LOL 

If the " Muahahahaa" Sailhawk is for the sea faring adventurer, I can't wait to determine what form of adventurer the Shadowhawk denotes ! Muahahahaa ! Thanks Wokei.

Jan 14, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #11,067 of 14,276

Just discovered this thread and thought i'd contribute, here is my daily beater.

Nice, looks great and while it looks "large" it looks like it wears comfortably. Quarts? Or ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back