Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
May 20, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #6,946 of 14,276
43bc9cd4-7e7f-46c1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 20, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #6,948 of 14,276
I found that straps are sometimes more fun than the watches.  They certainly can turn a merely interesting watch into something artistic.  I specified that vintage style strap on the brass/bronze watch specifically to match the watch, the brass, the brown face, and the patina that will eventually build upon it.  

The black strap with red lining on the black Magrette Regattare with red markings is just perfect as it is.  

Here are a few Invictas from my early collecting, given a second life with fun straps.  I move the straps among watches now and then.  
Blue gator, thick oiled vintage leather, and shark. 

CLICK on any picture to ENLARGE.

May 20, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #6,949 of 14,276
Quote:
testing out my new macro/zoom lens..    not sure if i'm doing it right..

You're using a 200mm lens (or a zoom at 200mm) . Lenses like that usually have a minimum focussing distance of approximately 2 metre. Being a macro lens this is probably reduced to about 1 m. My guess is you are too close for a good focus. Also you had a shutter time of 1/30 which is quite long for a 200mm to hold still handheld (although you seem to have done a pretty good job at that point).

May 20, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #6,950 of 14,276
Quote:
Quote:
testing out my new macro/zoom lens..    not sure if i'm doing it right..

You're using a 200mm lens (or a zoom at 200mm) . Lenses like that usually have a minimum focussing distance of approximately 2 metre. Being a macro lens this is probably reduced to about 1 m. My guess is you are too close for a good focus. Also you had a shutter time of 1/30 which is quite long for a 200mm to hold still handheld (although you seem to have done a pretty good job at that point).

this is crazy...how'd you know i was using 200mm at 200mm???  did i post that?  it's super late.  but you are correct, sir. 

oh ok...just saw the 1/30 shutter time.....my picture must have that info in it :p   

would my 17-55mm be more ideal for macro then?  It says macro on it also.  Using tamron f/2.8  17-55.....but in this case Tamron f/3.5-6.3 18-200mm....

May 20, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #6,951 of 14,276
Quote:
this is crazy...how'd you know i was using 200mm at 200mm???  did i post that?  it's super late.  but you are correct, sir. 

oh ok...just saw the 1/30 shutter time.....my picture must have that info in it :p   

would my 17-55mm be more ideal for macro then?  It says macro on it also.  Using tamron f/2.8  17-55.....but in this case Tamron f/3.5-6.3 18-200mm....

biggrin.gif

I have an extension in my browser (Chrome) that extracts the EXIF info for me from any picture that has it embedded.
Your 17-55 lens, if it is a macro, probably has a minimum focus distance of about 1/2 m, which would be much more practical for this shot. 
Rule of thumb to hold your camera still. Handheld most people need a shutter speed of 1/(used focal lenght) or faster. So if you shoot handheld at 200mm you probably need 1/200 sec to keep it still, while at 50mm you can still reliably shoot at 1/50 sec.

To make this post not completely off topic here is one of my favorite watch:

May 20, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #6,952 of 14,276
Quote:
Quote:

biggrin.gif

I have an extension in my browser (Chrome) that extracts the EXIF info for me from any picture that has it embedded.
Your 17-55 lens, if it is a macro, probably has a minimum focus distance of about 1/2 m, which would be much more practical for this shot. 
Rule of thumb to hold your camera still. Handheld most people need a shutter speed of 1/(used focal lenght) or faster. So if you shoot handheld at 200mm you probably need 1/200 sec to keep it still, while at 50mm you can still reliably shoot at 1/50 sec.

To make this post not completely off topic here is one of my favorite watch:

thanks.  i wonder why the 18-200mm is even called a macro then..  btw, I posted a question about what lens I should get instead of this 18-200mm on the canon thread..

I feel like this 18-200 is kinda expendable.  don't think i really will use the zoom much...and it's hard to keep still when zoomed in at 200mm (even when not for macro--haha).  
I have the 17-50mm (f/2.8) which is great for most everything...  and  i have a glass fisheye (rokinon/samyang).  I only use APS-C lenses so i don't have to worry about crop factor...... should i g for a $400 or less Sigma 10mm-20mm?  superwide seems like it'd be fun to use (i really like using my fisheye).  or should i go for a prime lens...hopefully there's something that's like f/1.4 or f/1.8 that is wider than 50mm and isn't ridiculously expensive....  and also only made for canon crop frames

May 21, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #6,955 of 14,276
Thanks.  Yes, I enjoy it. The fun part of my morning is picking a watch to go with my clothes.  Small pleasures in a difficult time of big challenges.  But it's a bit of an addiction, spending, having something on its way, expecting a package.  I'm trying to move on... I have enough already!!

May 21, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #6,956 of 14,276
Quote:
Thanks.  Yes, I enjoy it. The fun part of my morning is picking a watch to go with my clothes.  Small pleasures in a difficult time of big challenges.  But it's a bit of an addiction, spending, having something on its way, expecting a package.  I'm trying to move on... I have enough already!!

Since you have a gazillion reps, homages and $100 watches. Can you name three that offer the biggest bang for their buck? 

I have, among other less interesting watches, a fiddy PAM homage by Jackson Tse, an Alpha Titanium Pilot and a Pulsar PJN305 that I enjoy wearing. 

May 22, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #6,957 of 14,276
Quote:
Since you have a gazillion reps, homages and $100 watches. Can you name three that offer the biggest bang for their buck? 

I have, among other less interesting watches, a fiddy PAM homage by Jackson Tse, an Alpha Titanium Pilot and a Pulsar PJN305 that I enjoy wearing. 

Hard to say.  The Invictas I got for the most part by watching the daily sale sites, and on TV (shopNBC).  I only buy something I am sure I would wear, even despite better watches I might own.  And it has to have a more classic style.  I don't spend more than about $100 on an Invicta.  

One other brand that is really nice design but fun, not stuffy: Red Line Compressor in this color scheme.  Can be had for $70s, but usually is twice that.    

The best bang for buck among reproductions of mine is the white-faced U-Boat rep.  The buttons on the case aren't "correct" but they do look fine.  And it's a quartz but you can't tell easily; only a small second hand gives that away.  And U-boat does make some quartz, I'm told.  PM me for sources.  Was $68 when I got it, now is $98.  

Click pics to enlarge. 

Other than that, I like these: Breitling SuperOcean Heritage Chronograph, the Breitling Montbrillant Datora, the Panerai PAM 111M, and Panerai PAM305.  I would get those again.  In fact, those are all (or most) of my reps, I believe.  Those are about $250 to $350, plus extra for third-party cool straps if you wish.  

PAM 305, middle.  PAM 111M, left.  Custom straps, $70 to 150.  

Almost all of my watches are about 44mm to 51 mm.  

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back