Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Dec 19, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #4,141 of 14,276
Good job M!
beerchug.gif

Dec 19, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #4,142 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I successfully defended my Master of Fine Arts Thesis today. When I got home, I discovered the watch-band that my brother in law ordered as a graduation gift had arrived.

SpeedyonRed_SM.jpg

Hirsch Waterproof double ridged, patterned to look like Shark but be sturdier and more durable in water.

Congrats on the Defense and the Watch!

Parents came back from India a couple of weeks ago, and bought me this watch on a whim:

http://usa.tommy.com/tommy/browse/pr...entCategoryId=

This thing is huge! But, in spite of being the biggest watch in my meager collection, I'm loving it and actually inspired to look at some more bigger watches now!

Dec 19, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #4,144 of 14,276
I just stumbled across this thread. Some of you have some really nice watches.

I have question maybe somebody can help with. If it's been answered already in this thread I'd appreciate if somebody could point that out so I can look for it. Are their any types of watch "power" (e.g. solar, automatic, battery) that are considered to be extremely reliable?

I've had good experiences with even inexpensive battery and automatic (not ones with charging) watches. I had a very disappointing experience with the durability of a Citizen Eco-Drive watch and their main USA repair center. I've also read some comments that Seiko's kinetic system will need repairs in just a few years.

If I want a watch that lasts ten years without much fuss (a battery replacement is fine), am I limited to battery powered watched and automatics without a system that needs to charge a battery?

Thanks,

odigg

Dec 19, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #4,145 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by odigg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have question maybe somebody can help with. If it's been answered already in this thread I'd appreciate if somebody could point that out so I can look for it. Are their any types of watch "power" (e.g. solar, automatic, battery) that are considered to be extremely reliable?

I've had good experiences with even inexpensive battery and automatic (not ones with charging) watches. I had a very disappointing experience with the durability of a Citizen Eco-Drive watch and their main USA repair center. I've also read some comments that Seiko's kinetic system will need repairs in just a few years.

If I want a watch that lasts ten years without much fuss (a battery replacement is fine), am I limited to battery powered watched and automatics without a system that needs to charge a battery?

Thanks,

odigg

I've heard and read a lot about Seiko's Kinetics, and I think most of the issues were from the first models in the 90s that could only hold a charge for a week or two. Current models apparently have a MUCH better record, and I owned one of the decent Kinetic Divers about a year ago; it was very nice for $350 and a full charge lasted 6 months or more. I don't think there's much harm in getting a current Seiko Kinetic.

Thanks for the kind words all! I've been very pleased by the watch, and I'm extremely pleased by the strap. I know shark is ordinarily a tougher leather, I'm simply regurgitating PR facts about the strap I'd read. It may not be true, but for now I will assume it is because I am a happy consumer whore.
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #4,147 of 14,276
I am looking to round-out my daily use collection with a all silver automatic. I currently wear a quartz Raymond Weil Grand Giovani and a two-tone Rolex Datejust. I am looking at picking up either a Omega Aqua Terra Co-Axial 2504.30 or a Grand Seiko Automatic SBGR001. I am open to other suggestions in a mid-sized (35-37mm) automatic around $3k but am mainly looking for feedback on the above two mentioned.

Dec 19, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #4,148 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by odigg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks,

odigg

The new lines of Seiko Kinetics are stellar in their ability to hold a charge as Mercuttio mentioned earlier. I have one and it was by far my favorite watch until I started branching off into full automatics.

10 years without much fuss, I'd say give a Seiko Kinetic a shot. I know Casio battery powered watches also do very well on battery time. I would expect Citizen EcoDrives to be pretty good too, but I've never owned one so I have no experience.

Dec 20, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #4,149 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I successfully defended my Master of Fine Arts Thesis today. When I got home, I discovered the watch-band that my brother in law ordered as a graduation gift had arrived.

Hirsch Waterproof double ridged, patterned to look like Shark but be sturdier and more durable in water.

Congratulations!!

Dec 20, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #4,150 of 14,276
Just wondering, anyone here has a special relationship with their high end watch shop that can check some 'real' price for me?
I am thinking to get a watch for my partner but I can't seem to see the actual price on the net.
Australian prices are usually rip off prices.

This is the watch (ref. 2608110 - Stainless steel one with mechanical movement and leather bracelet)

http://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/na/e...e/reverso-lady

Dec 20, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #4,153 of 14,276
JLC is one of the top watch makers in the world. Probably at the level of Blancpain and Rolex. Some would place Rolex below JLC and Blancpain, but I am not one of them. Above those in terms of horological refinement (ie: COST) are Patek, Vacheron Constantin, and Audemars Piguet. You can't go wrong with a JLC timepiece. The only problem is future costs for service and maintenance.

Dec 20, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #4,154 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new lines of Seiko Kinetics are stellar in their ability to hold a charge as Mercuttio mentioned earlier. I have one and it was by far my favorite watch until I started branching off into full automatics.

10 years without much fuss, I'd say give a Seiko Kinetic a shot. I know Casio battery powered watches also do very well on battery time. I would expect Citizen EcoDrives to be pretty good too, but I've never owned one so I have no experience.

Watches, as in some other hobbies, don't necessarily correlate to price. That's the beauty of the watch hobby. You can a beautiful watch for $150 or a really ugly non-functioning one for two grand.
Do your research (half the fun), go with you gut, and stay away from doorknobs.

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #4,155 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Watches, as in some other hobbies, don't necessarily correlate to price. That's the beauty of the watch hobby. You can a beautiful watch for $150 or a really ugly non-functioning one for two grand.
Do your research (half the fun), go with you gut, and stay away from doorknobs.

My Speedmaster says, "Doorknobs? I eat them for breakfast.... but uh, I like Polywatch for lunch."

It's true though, there's just so much garbage out there at nearly ANY price. The industry is incredibly lucky to have companies like Seiko to hold up the quality end of the bargain, at any price. It's incredible that you can get some of them sub $200... and have an Automatic that (while not terribly accurate) will last 20+ years without a repair. I read an article about the 7s26; in a way it's just as impressive as WAY more expensive movements in that the same amount of concern must have gone into the design... utilitarian and rugged to a fault.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back