Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jun 7, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #2,012 of 14,284
My latest, quick and dirties using my Nokia N95, the manual hand winder Grand Seiko SBGW005:

Rather difficult to capture the true dial color, it's a strong cream color, and not as white as this pic shows.

06032008.jpg

One of the beautiful things about this particular Grand Seiko model is its domed box crystal. It rises sharply above the rest of the watch case. My understanding is that it's quite difficult to create a box crystal display using sapphire, being that you have to bend the sapphire at the edges back downwards to connect with the case. What's also trippy is in order to prevent parallax distortion when viewed through the domed crystal, the very tips of each hand are curved by manual handwork slightly downward, to follow the curve of the domed crystal.

06032008003.jpg

You could literally use the back as a mirror, the polish is incredibly high and there's actually no distortions when staring at your reflection.

06032008004.jpg

The watch normally comes with a rice grain bracelet, but I swapped it out for this croc strap...I needed a pure dress watch in my collection. The accuracy is just insane, over a week it has not gained or lost a single second so far compared against time.gov.

Jun 7, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #2,013 of 14,284
^ Vertigo, that is an absolutely gorgeous GS. I am jealous to say the very least...

Jun 7, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #2,014 of 14,284
Vertigo had me sold on a GS since his first post showing his off. I'll be getting one within the next year or so. =T

Jun 7, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #2,015 of 14,284
Very nice GS! For now, I'm only buying regular seiko's but maybe next year...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #2,019 of 14,284
Just went to put on my Panerai PAM 0112 this evening and I noticed that my original brown leather band is cracked straight across the band where the buckle is.
I want a black leather (crocodile look) band.

Do any of you watch forum guys or Panny owners know a good place to get one?

TIA
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #2,020 of 14,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just went to put on my Panerai PAM 0112 this evening and I noticed that my original brown leather band is cracked straight across the band where the buckle is.
I want a black leather (crocodile look) band.

Do any of you watch forum guys or Panny owners know a good place to get one?

TIA
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi Aaron,

Very quickly:

Here is a list on paneristi of strap manufacturers. Check out the third party dealers. It should keep you busy for a while...

Officine Panerai Straps

There are a variety of websites to get cool straps. As you probably know, PAM straps are an industry unto themselves.

Check the accessories corners at:

Paneristi.com - The Unofficial Resource For Officine Panerai

and

Panerai Watch and Strap Forums from ViaPaneristi!

I am also looking for a black croc strap for my PAM 212 (flyback, 1950-style ). I think it will look really handsome on a black croc.

I was thinking of going to Wempe on 5th ave and picking up an OEM black croc. For your purposes (standard black croc) you might want to go OEM. But there are A LOT of beautiful custom options. One of the things that is big is stitch color and thickness.

Just curious... Are you looking for a black stitch color? Brown? White? You can get gold colored stitch... All kinds. It makes it very difficult to choose. Also, keep in mind that if your strap has a deployant or a "non-pre-V" buckle, you need to get a tapered strap. Otherwise, you need a non-tapered for a Pre-V size buckle. I prefer buckles to clasps. If you want the big, vintage look, get a screw in buckle and you're good to go. Or you can get a strap with a buckle sewn in. That makes strap changes even easier.

There is a huge amount of info and research for these straps. Be prepared to get swamped and to find yourself getting about 5 different straps and changing them all the time. It's part of the fun with Panerai.

PM me if you want. I'd like to know what you end up choosing. Also be sure to post pics!

If you want I can send you pics of some of my straps. Maybe you might be interested. I have a new brown leather one that I might part with. It is from:

https://www.manifatturefirenze.it/home.php (a GREAT strap maker, I also have a wallet from them).

Right now, I am looking into the "Legend Gator" at Strapculture:

legendgator

J.

Jun 9, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #2,022 of 14,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Aaron,
Very quickly...

Wow John...if that was the quick version, I can't wait for the long one
tongue.gif

I'm wondering if I get an OEM one, then I can used the Panerai stamped, screw-on buckle from my original brown strap.

I would, very much like a black croc with black (probably) stitching. I want it to look both dressy and tough at the same time.

Thanks for the abundance of info (that's what makes this place so cooool)
cool.gif
. I will PM you.

Jun 9, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #2,023 of 14,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow John...if that was the quick version, I can't wait for the long one
tongue.gif

I'm wondering if I get an OEM one, then I can used the Panerai stamped, screw-on buckle from my original brown strap.

I would, very much like a black croc with black (probably) stitching. I want it to look both dressy and tough at the same time.

Thanks for the abundance of info (that's what makes this place so cooool)
cool.gif
. I will PM you.

My pleasure, Aaron. You should re-read my post. I edited it a number of times. Definitely check out the Gators from Strap Culture. They define dressy-tough. They are thicker than OEM.

I'm not sure about the buckle. When you look at the strap, does it look like it is tapered? If it is tapered it is 24mm at the lugs and 22mm at the buckle. If it is not tapered it is 24/24. There are plenty of strap makers who supply a buckle with the strap. Usually it is a 24mm buckle, so you don't have to worry about it too much. If you want to use your original buckle just check if your strap is tapered and order the proper width.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back