Watch recommendation-- so overwhelmed don't know where to start
Dec 16, 2008 at 9:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

johnation33

100+ Head-Fier
Hi headfiers,

after looking at the huge watches thread here, and seeing 100+ companies with tons of different watches, I am really overwhelmed and I need help in picking the cream of the crop that fits my needs. Can you help me? Here are my preferences:

-Round face
-medium to small face
-White or black face
-Leather Band
-Under $350
-Simple face
-no digital, analog please
-no diver's watch (or watches that look like those)
-no "tacky" looking watches (gold bits in band [why i dont like metal bands] aluminum looking bands, blag)
-versatile, fits in with jeans and shirt as well as formal

I would like recommendations on two categories, basically broad adjectives but I can't think of a better way to describe it, I've put some examples of watches I think that fit this category:

1. Sophisticated, chic/modern
-Seiko Spirit
-Movado (Any specific models anyone can recommend)?

2. Classic, timeless, classy
-Stowa (too expensive though
frown.gif
)
-Sinn (Wow, absolutely gorgeous... but way out of my budget)

I'm 23 years old so I'd like something that suites more around that. I guess watch designs I dislike are citizen watches (ugly metal, looks cheapish, [please note just a generalization from the few i"ve seen, sorry if I'm offending any citizen watch lovers])

I hope from the few examples I provided above it will narrow down the watches to a select few... as you can see I prefer minimalist/classy/classic simple watch faces.

Right now, I'm strongly weighed towards the SEIKO Spirit Automatic Watch 6R15 SCVS013 but that's because I don't know of any other watches in my price range. Help me please! Thanks!

edit: I also really want to look for a cheaper equivalent of sinn watches... they are just so beautiful, understated simple elegance.. sigh... any recommendations?

Dec 16, 2008 at 9:48 AM Post #2 of 21
I'm not too well learned in watches either, but I think skagen might also offer a few with the more minimalistic/classic approach you're looking for.

Movado's as you said also seem to fit that description. My friend got one after graduation, and is very happy with it.

Dec 16, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #3 of 21
why don't you just go out to a watch store and look for yourself? you are in new york city which i imagine has a million shops to choose from. get yourself a counterfeit rolex from brooklyn. i have an authentic armani one bought in rome but i never wear it as i carry my cell phone on me to keep time.

Dec 16, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 21
Seiko. I'm wearing a 1979 model (was rebuilt a year ago or so) that my father received in 1981 as his 25 year watch from Saskatchewan Telecommunications. I need a new crystal and I think that I can get one. My watch is analog with gold face, gold markers for the numbers, and gold hands. Leather band. Very nice.

I recommend Seiko. Great watches.

Dec 16, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #7 of 21
Your tastes in watches are largely the same as mine.

You may want to check out the Hamilton Jazzmaster (the quartz version should fit your budget, but the auto will be more expensive): Hamilton Jazzmaster Men's Quartz Watch - White Face - Leather Strap H32411555

Someone mentioned Skagen. Here is one that I own that is simple and has a leather strap:

437744102_bsJzf-M.jpg

There's also Victornox (Swiss Army), but it might not be as elegant as you want: Swiss Army Infantry Watch - White Dial - Brown Leather Strap 24654

If you want to go vintage, check out the <$300 section here: Cool Vintage Watches

They have multiple listings in the style you are seeking, but most of them appear to be on hold or sold at the moment (probably sold a lot for Christmas). Just check back from time to time. Make sure you know what you're getting into if you pick a vintage manual wind or auto watch.

Dec 16, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why don't you just go out to a watch store and look for yourself? you are in new york city which i imagine has a million shops to choose from. get yourself a counterfeit rolex from brooklyn. i have an authentic armani one bought in rome but i never wear it as i carry my cell phone on me to keep time.

haha I would but I hate going shopping and last time I went, I didn't know of any aggregate watch store, so I had to visit specific manufacturer watch stores individually--not fun

Thanks for all the recommendations, I think I want a few more recommendations before I choose.

Any other classic looking watch brands similar to sinn except skagen?

Thanks guys again, really appreciate it

Dec 16, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #10 of 21
Compared to Movado, Stowa is cheap! But I'm not a fan of quartz movement in expensive cases.

That Seiko spirit is very classic, you can't go wrong with it! It should last you many, many years.

Dec 16, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Compared to Movado, Stowa is cheap! But I'm not a fan of quartz movement in expensive cases.

That Seiko spirit is very classic, you can't go wrong with it! It should last you many, many years.

the seiko spirit you are talking about is the SCVS013 right? what is your opinion on the SCVS003?

Dec 16, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #12 of 21
I'm on the phone and can't paste a link, but Google West Coast Time and have a look around. You should find exactly what you're after there. I have their 2824MP on a NATO strap - I love it for knocking around. So you know my tastes, I alternate between a Sinn 656 and a Sinn 244 for daily wear.

There are a couple of vintage brands to keep an eye on, as well. One, look at the old Eterna-Matics on eBay. They're great watches and one of the best vintage values out there. Second, consider an old Bulova Accutron with a 214 movement. I think you might like the Astronaut model, but there are others. The tuning fork might seem oddball, but these things are bulletproof. The 214 (and almost identical to the consumer version) was qualified for space flight along with the Omega Speedmaster. The 214 was used in all the Apollo instrument panels and were widely used as clocks in satellites. And you can wear the same thing on your wrist. It has old school geek cred and is still one of the most accurate watches at any price.

Dec 16, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm on the phone and can't paste a link, but Google West Coast Time and have a look around. You should find exactly what you're after there. I have their 2824MP on a NATO strap - I love it for knocking around. So you know my tastes, I alternate between a Sinn 656 and a Sinn 244 for daily wear.

There are a couple of vintage brands to keep an eye on, as well. One, look at the old Eterna-Matics on eBay. They're great watches and one of the best vintage values out there. Second, consider an old Bulova Accutron with a 214 movement. I think you might like the Astronaut model, but there are others. The tuning fork might seem oddball, but these things are bulletproof. The 214 (and almost identical to the consumer version) was qualified for space flight along with the Omega Speedmaster. The 214 was used in all the Apollo instrument panels and were widely used as clocks in satellites. And you can wear the same thing on your wrist. It has old school geek cred and is still one of the most accurate watches at any price.

is this the model?
O & W NATO sub ETA 2824-2 w/date - same movement as the Submariner by TUDOR

looks like its sold out
frown.gif

Dec 16, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnation33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the seiko spirit you are talking about is the SCVS013 right? what is your opinion on the SCVS003?

Yes, the 013, the white dial, blue hands, polished case and black strap all superbly complement each other.

The 003 I like less because of the polished SS strap, but that's just my style, I prefer satin SS, my current everyday watch is a Seiko SNK803, which is all satin SS. However I'm sure the 003 will look really good when actually on someone's wrist!

edit: I think Uncle Erik was referring to this watch http://www.westcoastime.com/mpbritmilsty.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back