Was going to buy a QC15, or Beats Studio, found this website, now need suggestions.
Sep 19, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #2 of 35
well, you don't seem to be trolling so I will give you a non anti-troll response, anywho, noise cancellation, you have two choices, passive and active (earplugs-ish vs bose type noise cancelling) to me, earbuds are much more tolerable, noise cancellation systems actually generate a sort of pressure inside my ears that makes me feel extremely irritated. and if you can survive with earbuds, some can actually cancel out more noise than the active systems (etymotics, I suggest you look into them) the build quality is very good, and they are extremely balanced and detailed. well, now that we've gotten to sound quality, we must know (in order to help you) what you like, bass, treble, detail, neutrality etc etc?

hope to be of more assistance

James

Sep 19, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #3 of 35
also...stay away from the bose or the monsters, general consensus on head-fi, they're not worth the asking price or even half. also, reviews mention the monsters having a rather poor quality noise cancellation feature, they can actually create excess noise instead of doing their intended duties

Sep 19, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 35
Thanks for the response. Why would I be trolling? I'd be trolling if I was lauding how awesome they are lol.

Um, as for sound quality, I like crisp, clear sound, not TOO treble-y, and not extremely bassy either. The only reason I looked into the QC15 and the beats is because I fly a lot and just thought they would be a treat to have.

Right now I have some Sennheiser CX300 earbuds that seem to be quite excellent, although I haven't been able to try them on the airplane yet. Is it worth it to get a full size headphones or will the difference be negligible?

The only I decided to research more is because the QC15s are awfully expensive, which led me to research them quite extensively online, which led me to this site. I don't know much about headphones, and don't really have a lot of time to learn a lot about the science behind good sound. I don't have a budget in mind, which is kind of why I looked to the QC15s, as I thought they were supposed to be great. I guess marketing works. 

I love my CX300s, but I don't think I can wear them for more than an hour without some discomfort, which is why I looked toward the over the ear solution.

Sep 19, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #5 of 35
Split between the neverending FOTM bass heavy M50 and the rather neutral SRH840...
But the improvement over the Beats Studio will be HUGE. I own the Grado SR225i (spent $150 for them). I tried out the Studio at the Apple store today and realized just how horrible the Beats were. Large sub/mid bass hump, ultra-mega-super-uber recessed mids, and non existent highs. 
I am leaning more toward the SRH840 because I fear the M50 is hyped just because of it's bass. Good luck on finding the right headphones!

Sep 19, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #6 of 35

Quote:
Thanks for the response. Why would I be trolling? I'd be trolling if I was lauding how awesome they are lol.

Um, as for sound quality, I like crisp, clear sound, not TOO treble-y, and not extremely bassy either. The only reason I looked into the QC15 and the beats is because I fly a lot and just thought they would be a treat to have.

Right now I have some Sennheiser CX300 earbuds that seem to be quite excellent, although I haven't been able to try them on the airplane yet. Is it worth it to get a full size headphones or will the difference be negligible?

The only I decided to research more is because the QC15s are awfully expensive, which led me to research them quite extensively online, which led me to this site.

what a coincidence, I too own a pair of CX300's (second edition though) full sized headphones in this case (passive isolation) would offer a tiny bit less noise cancellation, though they work okay (ath-m50 on a 24hr airplane flight) but earbuds would be more comfortable, (better isolation=more force on head, fullsized cans wise) and yes, course bose is expensive, doesn't mean they're good for the price

by the way, if you like the CX300's, then you like a tiny bit more emphasized bass (far from approaching bass head levels though) anywho, if you can live with the CX300s, then you should be set, IMO, they sound awesome, but they don't isolate as well as earbuds can (ie: etymotics, their trademark tri flange eartips are the secret, but IMO, two words...ear and rape)

just my two cents

James

Sep 19, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #7 of 35

Quote:
Split between the neverending FOTM bass heavy M50 and the rather neutral SRH840...
But the improvement over the Beats Studio will be HUGE. I own the Grado SR225i (spent $150 for them). I tried out the Studio at the Apple store today and realized just how horrible the Beats were. Large sub/mid bass hump, ultra-mega-super-uber recessed mids, and non existent highs. 
I am leaning more toward the SRH840 because I fear the M50 is hyped just because of it's bass. Good luck on finding the right headphones!

they don't offer crazy amounts of bass, IMO, the CX300s have a bit more than the M50's, and no, they aren't the flavor of the month, I actually think they are here to stay, the SRH840's are almost twice as expensive as the M50's and as usual, diminishing returns come into play,for $100, the M50's can't be beat

Sep 19, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #8 of 35

Quote:
they don't offer crazy amounts of bass, IMO, the CX300s have a bit more than the M50's, and no, they aren't the flavor of the month, I actually think they are here to stay, the SRH840's are almost twice as expensive as the M50's and as usual, diminishing returns come into play,for $100, the M50's can't be beat

Hadda get your fire pit and branding iron didn't cha?!

Sep 19, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #9 of 35

Quote:
Hadda get your fire pit and branding iron didn't cha?!

hey! I didn't think I would actually be the "universal defender of the guitar" or in this case, the M50, I actually sold mine a couple days ago thinking good riddance to boring rubbish, but after trying a top tier IEM, I realized what I had just done, it's actually quite hard to have a balance of everything and IMO, fullsized cans usually (not always) have a better chance at doing just that. perhaps it's just my sentimental feelings getting to my ol' melon

Sep 19, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #11 of 35

Quote:
hey! I didn't think I would actually be the "universal defender of the guitar" or in this case, the M50, I actually sold mine a couple days ago thinking good riddance to boring rubbish, but after trying a top tier IEM, I realized what I had just done

I assume you don't mean the JH16 when you say top-tier IEM...
I don't get it. Why did you sell the M50's?

Sep 19, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #12 of 35

Quote:
I'm lost. So M50s are good? Or are you recommending I just stick with my CX300 earbuds?

they're good, not bad phones at all, they have a similar sound signature though I'm pretty certain the M50's offer more clarity, seeing as you had the $$$ to plunk on a pair of $300 bose phones, I'd say go for it, and the CX300s for times when portability is needed, though on a airplane, the M50's are fine when sitting down or walking around...but try running with those things on your neck...headphone bra anyone? 0_o

Sep 19, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #13 of 35

Quote:

they're good, not bad phones at all, they have a similar sound signature though I'm pretty certain the M50's offer more clarity, seeing as you had the $$$ to plunk on a pair of $300 bose phones, I'd say go for it, and the CX300s for times when portability is needed, though on a airplane, the M50's are fine when sitting down or walking around...but try running with those things on your neck...headphone bra anyone? 0_o

I second that, dammit. 

Sep 19, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #14 of 35

Quote:
I assume you don't mean the JH16 when you say top-tier IEM...
I don't get it. Why did you sell the M50's?

no, I meant the monster pro turbine coppers, they received very nice reviews, but when I received them, I knew they lacked something I saw in all my other cans and phones, M50s, SR80i's, px100s, cx300, I'm still not quite sure what yet, but no chance to find out, on the second day, the shell split apart completely and monster hasn't even responded to my first email concerning the poor quality of the ear tips, I knew I did the right thing when I asked for a RMA from onecall. as I said above, portability...when I had to run, I would either have to place them upon my ears, or hold them down with my hands, quite embarassing

Sep 19, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #15 of 35

Quote:
no, I meant the monster pro turbine coppers, they received very nice reviews, but when I received them, I knew they lacked something I saw in all my other cans and phones, M50s, SR80i's, px100s, cx300, I'm still not quite sure what yet, but no chance to find out, on the second day, the shell split apart completely and monster hasn't even responded to my first email concerning the poor quality of the ear tips, I knew I did the right thing when I asked for a RMA from onecall. as I said above, portability...when I had to run, I would either have to place them upon my ears, or hold them down with my hands, quite embarassing

Duct tape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back