Was F. Zappa a musical genius?
Oct 1, 2001 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

frankclone

Lambda Lambda Lambda
A search revealed a paucity of material on FZ in this forum. I do think a lot of his instrumental stuff is brilliant, but maybe he
frittered away some of that talent on songs with adolescent
"shock" themes, e.g. the gross, lewd, & profane.
What do y'all think?

Oct 1, 2001 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 21
Yes
very_evil_smiley.gif

Albums like "Make A Jazz Noise Here" and "The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life" from the 88 tour, have some of the most together and interesting playing of all Zappa albums. Maybe the lyrics were somewhat adolescent and lewd on occasion on many of the albums, but the musicianship of Zappa and his band members make up for it many times over, in my opinion.

A lot of it is also just plain fun.
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2001 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 21
Even a casual listening of 'The Yellow Shark' or even 'London Symphony Orchestra' cd's would verify.

The man was a first-rate composer! Sure he played a guitar. Sure he made songs about odd subjects. Sure he gave his kids names that are not normal. So What?!

Do you think it is EASY to write music for a rock band? Try writing for a 40+ piece orchestra!

Think it's tough touring the world playing concerts for millions of fans? Try succesfully running your own business at the same time!

Taking a stand about current popular opinion is s sure fire way to get press? Try testifying in front of congress and beat the politicians at their own game!

Doing any of the above would be a sign of great mental ability - doing all of the above proves it.

ok,
erix

Oct 1, 2001 at 7:00 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by erix
Sure he gave his kids names that are not normal. So What?!

Doing any of the above would be a sign of great mental ability - doing all of the above proves it.

ok,
erix

I also believe he would probably be able to recognize sarcasm without the use of
rolleyes.gif

Oct 1, 2001 at 8:01 PM Post #7 of 21
morphsci,

Didn't mean to rain screed - just a subject I'm passionate about!

ok,
erix

Oct 1, 2001 at 8:11 PM Post #8 of 21
absolutely....without a doubt...behind all the sillyness and rubber chickens is awesome music...extremely well composed, produced and recorder. Miles better than most crap that comes out today....

Oct 8, 2001 at 6:27 AM Post #9 of 21
"Genius" is used so much that it has lost its meaning.

However, throughout his long career, Zappa often produced extraordinary music. His compositional gifts and guitar prowess cannot be denied. Even the cheesiest of his lyrics were usually done for some social and/or artistic purpose.

I miss his presence on the planet.

Oct 8, 2001 at 6:07 PM Post #12 of 21
if he wasn't a musical genious (he was), he at least was a master of production. he created some of the best sounding rock albums of all time.

Oct 8, 2001 at 11:00 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
if he wasn't a musical genious (he was), he at least was a master of production. he created some of the best sounding rock albums of all time.

What do you mean by best sounding? Are you refering to musical content or production quality? In terms of the latter, I think it was pretty bad.

Oct 9, 2001 at 3:46 AM Post #14 of 21
i'm referring to the latter. what recordings or cds do you base your opinion on?

Oct 9, 2001 at 4:30 AM Post #15 of 21
Burned into my brain is the image of Frank Zappa and Donny Osmond
eek.gif
testifing together against record labeling, when the evil Tipper Gore wanted all music to be catagorized and labeled to protect kiddy's from bad words. Zappa was a genius and an hero to me. He did it his way. Screw what everyone else wanted. I think his disregard for the mainstream showed, when he wrote his lyrics.

From "the Illinois Enema Bandit"-

"Might just be what they all needed".

P.Sssss.- Apostrophe is a great recording that sounds fantastic on CD. Highly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back