Warning Signs of HeadFi Addiction
Feb 19, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #76 of 102
This hobby is evil as for some reason I have yet to be able to hear an audible difference between the built in headphone amp in my stock beresford tc7250, my corda swing and my newly arrived Millet Max hybrid. Does that mean I'm doing something wrong here?

Feb 19, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #77 of 102
A warning sign that this has become an addiction, for me personally, is immediately planning an new upgrade as soon as a new toy comes through the door. Having just got a new amp, I am now finding myself researching a DAC upgrade (that Meier Corda Stagedac is extremely tempting), when deep-down I know that it is largely unnecessary as my current AD/DAC is perfect for my needs, and probably isn't really bottlenecking the rest of my rig that much. It is strange because wanton spending is kind of out-of-character for me.

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #79 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by tisb0b /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This hobby is evil as for some reason I have yet to be able to hear an audible difference between the built in headphone amp in my stock beresford tc7250, my corda swing and my newly arrived Millet Max hybrid. Does that mean I'm doing something wrong here?

I could say that anyone with good ears would be hearing a difference. You could then go back and pretty much, you'd start hearing a difference.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oh, forget that one.

A better answer for you would be:
My personal experience has been that A/B testing can be a problem for subtle change in that you're unable to detect it. However, if you listen to one setup exclusively for a while and then switch to another, you'll be a lot more sensitive to a change. If you're still not hearing a change, then there is likely no difference from your perspective. If you hear a difference then there you go, but one has to consider the merit of upgrading to a difference that is so difficult to detect. Some justify this in terms of listening fatigue improvements, a better appreciation that you can't quite put a finger on, but it's there. Skeptics, and quite understandably valid in their arguments against this, could say that the comfort in acquiring the upgrade, with a resulting reduction in preoccupation with an upgrade, will lead to less listening fatigue as well as a general improvement in overall satisfaction.

My personal take is to trust your own feelings on the matter and not spend too much on this pursuit. A lot of this is psychologic and spending more will not appease a basic craving or obsession that you may have.

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #80 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by cck5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oo its too late for me.im more than addicted im a fiend.

You know it's really bad when we are now proudly declaring our addiction.
eek.gif

What a sorry community!!!
tongue.gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #83 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're watching the Olympics, there's a "We Are the World" segment about the destruction in Haiti, and you find your attention turned to the makes and models of the headphones worn by the celebrity singers.

In the original "We Are The World" , they used Foxtex T20RP Orthodynamic phones, which i have a set of the same vintage phones . Nice set...id buy another if i found a pair for sale in mint condition. I want to refurbish mine with new pads. They still sound great after all these years.
Drummers loved the phones back when.

Feb 19, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #84 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When your girlfriend moans *Headphoneus Supremus* while having sex just to make fun of you...

You've got a lot of work to do before you are deserving of that coveted title, Fantoon. Are your fingers and ears up for the challenge?

With great power comes great responsibility. Use it wisely!
wink.gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #85 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by St3ve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A warning sign that this has become an addiction, for me personally, is immediately planning an new upgrade as soon as a new toy comes through the door. Having just got a new amp, I am now finding myself researching a DAC upgrade (that Meier Corda Stagedac is extremely tempting), when deep-down I know that it is largely unnecessary as my current AD/DAC is perfect for my needs, and probably isn't really bottlenecking the rest of my rig that much. It is strange because wanton spending is kind of out-of-character for me.

I got a new headphone on monday, paid for a dac on Wednesday and I'll be paying for another headphone this Thursday. I can't say I've had any serious thoughts to upgrade but. . .. no wait I want a RS1.

angry_face.gif

Quote:

Amps can take some time to 'get'. Then there are headphones that sorta sound the same off different equipment. If that fails, I'll buy your Millet Max
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #86 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amps can take some time to 'get'. Then there are headphones that sorta sound the same off different equipment. If that fails, I'll buy your Millet Max
biggrin.gif

If you want to buy it then I'm happy to sell it =)

Feb 20, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #87 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by St3ve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A warning sign that this has become an addiction, for me personally, is immediately planning an new upgrade as soon as a new toy comes through the door.

hmmm. I haven't even seen the slightest of my new GS-1 yet. But like 2 weeks after purchase i decided i will upgrade my LD MKIII to a RSA Raptor, not sure when but it will happen! RSA amps have been intriguing me since the moment i found out about their existence.
Not sure if it will be before or after i buy the T1.

Another sign might be when the bad representation of music is really bothering you when at places with "inferior" audio equipment.
Happens to me quite a lot of times.

Edit; i'm doomed.

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #88 of 102
LOL I did the same thing. I saw a ton of DT770's.

In the original version of this song, you can see tons of K240's and other AKG's.

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #90 of 102
Quote:

If you want to buy it then I'm happy to sell it =)

You just got the swing a month ago and you've already added another amp to your collection?? Cool!

Anyway I can tell you there was a massive difference between the swing you're using and my t3h. I'd recommend a new DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back