*WARNING* OPPO HA2-SE DOES NOT WORK WITH GALAXY S8+ CURRENTLY
Dec 23, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #31 of 43
Why did Oppo request you purchase the cables you suggest they said? Oppo themselves now sell their own cable for Android with type C connection. I have one. It has Oppo printed on the cable at the ends and is about 4" in length. The Note 8, that I own, no longer charges the Oppo BUT the Oppo will not act as a charger for the Note 8.
When I use the Oppo with my iPhone 8+ all works exactly as it should.

Its very disappointing Oppo have known about this problem for a long time yet still don't include the correct cable in the box? Cannot understand the logic of Oppo behaviour toward this problem.

Ryland

Jan 7, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #33 of 43
I thought it might be helpful to track verdicts from all the different cable combinations in Google Sheets
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-49NNFXIg4RrskTXsmZJgt1l4EZPnHD3m7vlTgTIvw0/edit?usp=sharing

Feel free to add notes to help others who may be considering the HA-2, or having trouble with their own setup

After experimenting with a free Android current monitoring App called 'Ampere' on my G6, I discovered my assumptions about several of the USB-C adapters I've bought, were in fact incorrect

TL;DR - when the Android UI indicates it is charging a host device, it doesn't necessarily mean it is

Cheers,
Steve

Wow Steve, this is incredibly helpful. I have a G6 (although I'm using a RHA Dacamp L1 instead of the OPPO HA-2SE, but I am experiencing the very same issues). RHA's Dacamp comes with a MicroUSB -> MicroUSB OTG cable for Android, so I purchased this first:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0744BKDRD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My experience with this cable was terrible. Audio passthrough worked, but the phone was discharging at 39% per hour with the screen off and 95% with the screen on. Completely unusable.

The Meenova adapter that everyone has referenced in this thread is unavailable on Amazon, so I tried this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G50MYE8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used this in combination with the cable that RHA supplied. I'm testing this one right now and the G6 says that it's charging the Dacamp, but it's definitely discharging at a much slower rate. With battery saver on & using local music, my current testing has it discharging at 8% per hour with the screen off. I'm going to re-run the test with the phone in use, but I think that's still too high to make it usable as a portable device. The phone normally discharges at 1.5-2% per hour with the screen off. Ampere shows approx -720mA with this setup.

I am very tempted to try OPPO's cable since it sounds like that cable is handling the connection properly, but I don't know if that success will only apply to the HA-2SE.

Jan 8, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #34 of 43
Wow Steve, this is incredibly helpful. I have a G6 (although I'm using a RHA Dacamp L1 instead of the OPPO HA-2SE, but I am experiencing the very same issues). RHA's Dacamp comes with a MicroUSB -> MicroUSB OTG cable for Android, so I purchased this first:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0744BKDRD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My experience with this cable was terrible. Audio passthrough worked, but the phone was discharging at 39% per hour with the screen off and 95% with the screen on. Completely unusable.

The Meenova adapter that everyone has referenced in this thread is unavailable on Amazon, so I tried this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G50MYE8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used this in combination with the cable that RHA supplied. I'm testing this one right now and the G6 says that it's charging the Dacamp, but it's definitely discharging at a much slower rate. With battery saver on & using local music, my current testing has it discharging at 8% per hour with the screen off. I'm going to re-run the test with the phone in use, but I think that's still too high to make it usable as a portable device. The phone normally discharges at 1.5-2% per hour with the screen off. Ampere shows approx -720mA with this setup.

I am very tempted to try OPPO's cable since it sounds like that cable is handling the connection properly, but I don't know if that success will only apply to the HA-2SE.

For what it's worth..this one is working really well for me and is a few bucks cheaper than the Oppo branded cord. https://www.ebay.com/itm/10cm-Left-...ends-OPPO-HA-2SE-DAC-/292052970340?rmvSB=true

Apr 26, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #35 of 43
I'm pretty sure that's the exact cable I bought for my Shanling M1 player in 2016. I just got an HA-2 now and it won't work in connecting my Galaxy S9+.

EDIT: Nevermind...all of a sudden, it's working, but also charging my Oppo off of the S9's battery. I disconnected and reconnected it, wouldn't work. Did it again, it worked again. So...:confused:

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #37 of 43
As suggested by beingbuddah I too ordered the cable at eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/10cm-Left-...970340?hash=item43ffb6ab64:g:rCoAAOSwGIRXbodp
It costs $6.99 including international shipping from Hong Kong/China. Delivery was quite fast and for me it is the ONLY cable that connects OPPO HA2-SE DAC to my Galaxy S8 without discharging the smartphone. I tried several others, including one promoted by OPPO itself, but always the smartphone tried to charge the DAC. The Galaxy S8 is still saying that it will charge an external device but in my opinion that's not true. First of all the OPPO charging lights are not burning - as they do with other OTG cables. And second, I have installed an app called "Ampere" that indicates the discharge current being about 200 mA, instead of about 900 mA if the DAC will be really charged by the smartphone.
So, finally I'm really happy with this cable. Using Galaxy S8 with "USB audio player Pro" app and the OPPO HA2-SE DAC will let you enjoy HiRes music as well as CD or lossless audio formats. Thanks to a small "10cm-Left-Angle-Micro-USB-to-Type-C-Cable-OTG"...

Jan 29, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #38 of 43
This is resolved now through identification of appropriate cables.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B018G6IK7E
I use this and it works properly, and has been for months.
It is NOT charging the device. Sound routes through the Oppo HA-2 DAC. Please note I have the older version of the DAC (not the newer SE model).

I believe the important factor is that the adapter specs say OTG. this aligns the pins appropriately. I assume the micro-USB adapter that came with the Samsung Galaxy S8 phone are specifically meant for phone to phone data transfers.

This adapter worked for me without charging the HA-2, but after starting to use the HA-2 with my S8 again after not using the HA-2 for many months, the adapter no longer works without charging the HA-2.
I recently did a factory reset on my phone, so does anyone know if there's a setting I need to enable?
When I try to change USB options to "Connect a MIDI device", the music stops playing and the HA-2 stops charging for a few seconds, but then it starts to charge again and the option has changed back to "Charge connected device". I've also tried changing the USB configuration to Audio Source in the Developer settings, but the phone still charges the HA-2.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #39 of 43
This adapter worked for me without charging the HA-2, but after starting to use the HA-2 with my S8 again after not using the HA-2 for many months, the adapter no longer works without charging the HA-2.
I recently did a factory reset on my phone, so does anyone know if there's a setting I need to enable?
When I try to change USB options to "Connect a MIDI device", the music stops playing and the HA-2 stops charging for a few seconds, but then it starts to charge again and the option has changed back to "Charge connected device". I've also tried changing the USB configuration to Audio Source in the Developer settings, but the phone still charges the HA-2.
Mine no longer works. I haven't tried it with my phone in numerous months, either, but it does continue to work with my laptop. I also haven't tried the original adapter that charges it, yet. The OTG cable I bought no longer works with my S8 for some reason.

Jan 30, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #40 of 43
Mine no longer works. I haven't tried it with my phone in numerous months, either, but it does continue to work with my laptop. I also haven't tried the original adapter that charges it, yet. The OTG cable I bought no longer works with my S8 for some reason.
I tried the same cable with my Dell XPS laptop and it worked as expected w/o charging (via USB C OTG adapter). I tried the USB mini to C adapter that came with my S8 and had no luck. I am able to use the USB A adapter that came with my S8 and it does connect and play music via the Oppo HA-2 DAC, but it also charges the DAC, of course.
Something changed with the s8 and USB OTG connections. I don't think this is an Oppo issue, but it might be an Oreo change we need to figure out. I tried some of the Dev setting changes, including setting the USB connection to MTP and MIDI with no success.

Feb 4, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #41 of 43
Does anyone else's HA-2 sometimes make S8 stop playing audio? It happens every time HA-2 is connected and never when it's not. HA-2 has done this since I got it in mid 2017. It can happen anytime from a few minutes to 1 1/2 hour after I start playback. It be Spotify, YouTube, Netflix...

Jan 10, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #43 of 43
Bump, got my HA2 today and was also disappointed to find that a simple USB A to C did not work for music and the charging function somewhat doesn't work. I'm on a Galaxy Z Fold 4

It did work using s USB C to A cable then adapted to USB A to Micro USB adapter to the HA2

Galaxy ZFold4 -> USB C to USB A Cable -> USB A to Micro USB Adapter -> Oppo HA2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back