*WARNING* OPPO HA2-SE DOES NOT WORK WITH GALAXY S8+ CURRENTLY
May 6, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #16 of 43
Subscribed.

Keeping track of this. Would love to see a 6" cable Micro USB B -> USB C OTG cable. I am not a fan of the adapters as it puts extra strain on the connections when in a pocket.

Jun 4, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #18 of 43
An update on the cable that Oppo suggested me to buy. It did NOT work, this other cable would not work either:

https://shopmeenova.appspot.com/st/p/mbc_c2mu.html

So do not bother to get them, I am sending them back. It is disappointing that Oppo suggest solutions that they have not tested and tested again to prove that they actually work.

@TLF2 I will get the adapter that you pointed to, I am not a fan, because it does put strain in the connection, but there seems to be no other solution.

thanks

Jun 11, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #20 of 43
I just got the adapter and works fine (http://www.meenova.com/st/p/ua_c2u.html), i.e., the S8 recognizes the HA-2 SE as an audio devise and it would not charge it (I am using USB Audio Player PRO to have a bit perfect stream going to the HA-2 SE). Interestingly, the S8 in the quick access menu where you select 'Use USB for', still says "charge connected device", but the HA-2 SE does not shows that it is being charged. You cannot change that option, so you cannot get to charge your phone from the HA-2 SE.

To avoid confusions @Tacanacy, the cables (http://www.meenova.com/st/p/mbc_c2mu.html) make S8 to recognize HA-2 SE as an audio output, but your phone charges the DAC.

Finally, I used the Samsung micro USB to USB cable from my S7, with the Type-C to micro USB adapter from the S8, and it charges the S8 from the HA-2 SE, but it does not recognize it as an audio output. For this case, you can change between the options of the quick access menu where you select 'Use USB for', but it has no effect on the interaction between the phone and the DAC.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #21 of 43
Hello, I've been reading the forum for a couple of weeks but just registered to reply to this thread in case it's helpful for other USB type-c users

I recently bought an HA2 SE, to use with my LG G6 phone. Although the audio works,as expected, I am suffering the reverse charging issue (where the phone wants to constantly charge the HA2) when using the supplied micro to micro USB cable together with a Type-C to female micro adapter

I contacted Oppo tech support in the UK who sent the following reply:

Hi Steven

Thanks for your email.

With regard to the charging issue with the adapter you mention below, this is due to the OPPO cables being wired up slightly different to conventional cables/adapters. As of this week, we do now have an OPPO Type C cable available for purchase.
The price would be £9.00 + Shipping + VAT

We can either ship it via Royal Mail for £2.50 + VAT or DPD Next day delivery for £8.00 + VAT.

If you would like to order one please call our office on 0345 060 9395 with your credit/debit card.
Many Thanks
Best Regards

Adam
Warehouse / I.T. Manager
OPPO Digital UK Ltd

I'm expecting mine to arrive tomorrow so will update on the behaviour together with the G6 and can also try it on my wife's Google Pixel if anyone is interested.

Cheers,
Steve

Aug 9, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #23 of 43
Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #24 of 43
so does it work with the original HA and does it no charge the DAC?and CAN the HA chanrge the S8 when it acts as a powerbank?
Sorry I don't have the original HA. Since it's more of Type-C issue, I think this cable will work. The seller was also very reasonable and refunded me the other cable which didn't work. So worth trying.

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #25 of 43
Hello, I've been reading the forum for a couple of weeks but just registered to reply to this thread in case it's helpful for other USB type-c users

I recently bought an HA2 SE, to use with my LG G6 phone. Although the audio works,as expected, I am suffering the reverse charging issue (where the phone wants to constantly charge the HA2) when using the supplied micro to micro USB cable together with a Type-C to female micro adapter

I contacted Oppo tech support in the UK who sent the following reply:

Hi Steven

Thanks for your email.

With regard to the charging issue with the adapter you mention below, this is due to the OPPO cables being wired up slightly different to conventional cables/adapters. As of this week, we do now have an OPPO Type C cable available for purchase.
The price would be £9.00 + Shipping + VAT

We can either ship it via Royal Mail for £2.50 + VAT or DPD Next day delivery for £8.00 + VAT.

If you would like to order one please call our office on 0345 060 9395 with your credit/debit card.
Many Thanks
Best Regards

Adam
Warehouse / I.T. Manager
OPPO Digital UK Ltd

I'm expecting mine to arrive tomorrow so will update on the behaviour together with the G6 and can also try it on my wife's Google Pixel if anyone is interested.

Cheers,
Steve

What was the outcome? I have just ordered the Oppo and own the Samsung galaxy Note 8. Has Oppo now resolved this situation?

Many thanks,

Ryland

Oct 20, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #26 of 43
What was the outcome? I have just ordered the Oppo and own the Samsung galaxy Note 8. Has Oppo now resolved this situation?

Many thanks,

Ryland

This is resolved now through identification of appropriate cables.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B018G6IK7E
I use this and it works properly, and has been for months.
It is NOT charging the device. Sound routes through the Oppo HA-2 DAC. Please note I have the older version of the DAC (not the newer SE model).

I believe the important factor is that the adapter specs say OTG. this aligns the pins appropriately. I assume the micro-USB adapter that came with the Samsung Galaxy S8 phone are specifically meant for phone to phone data transfers.

Oct 20, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #27 of 43
This is resolved now through identification of appropriate cables.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B018G6IK7E
I use this and it works properly, and has been for months.
It is NOT charging the device. Sound routes through the Oppo HA-2 DAC. Please note I have the older version of the DAC (not the newer SE model).

I believe the important factor is that the adapter specs say OTG. this aligns the pins appropriately. I assume the micro-USB adapter that came with the Samsung Galaxy S8 phone are specifically meant for phone to phone data transfers.

Thank you for the kind reply I appreciate it.

I live in mainland Europe and it appears non of the Amazon here have that adaptor? I have found this situation to be ......can't think of the word. lol. I cancelled my order for the Oppo. I really wanted this quality product but if I have to fight like this to connect the Oppo to an Android device I am not prepared to do so. Oppo is well aware of the problem and now stock in the UK a cable that will resolve the problem. Thing is I don't live in the UK and this run around with Oppo is crazy. Not sure Oppo would even mail me the cable as not being in the UK plus the extra cost when its a problem Oppo should resolve.
Never mind, another day and lets see.

Thanks again, Ryland

Oct 20, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #28 of 43
On both my LG G5 and G6 (and my wifes Google Pixel) the device charges the HA2 regardless of the cable (official Oppo USB Type-C or the cheaper one I found on eBay)

So it seems the power handling implementation varies between the mobile vendors.

I'm now using a USB Type-C hub to connect the phone to the HA2, together with a mains USB charger, allowing both devices to be powered/charged in parallel.

It suits me well in the office, but clearly it's not the most elegant solution when mobile (I connect a USB battery instead of the mains USB charger, if I'm worried about draining my mobile battery too much) but hey, it works.

If anyone's interested, I can let you know how the HA2 gets on with the LG V30 tomorrow.

Who knows, if the Quad DAC is as good as they claim (and amplification is enough to drive my PM3's satisfactorily) I may be retiring the HA2 setup

Cheers
Steve

Oct 21, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #29 of 43
I thought it might be helpful to track verdicts from all the different cable combinations in Google Sheets
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-49NNFXIg4RrskTXsmZJgt1l4EZPnHD3m7vlTgTIvw0/edit?usp=sharing

Feel free to add notes to help others who may be considering the HA-2, or having trouble with their own setup

After experimenting with a free Android current monitoring App called 'Ampere' on my G6, I discovered my assumptions about several of the USB-C adapters I've bought, were in fact incorrect

TL;DR - when the Android UI indicates it is charging a host device, it doesn't necessarily mean it is

Cheers,
Steve

Dec 19, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #30 of 43
I recently picked up the Oppo HA-2SE and have the Samsung galaxy 8. I knew ahead of time that a usb type c cable wasn't included and contacted Oppo directly. They sugested the minova micr to type c cord that previous posters have gotten from amazon. Picked it up and it didn't work nor did the minova otg adapter that they also suggested. I even went in and opened the developer options on the phone and changed the usb setting....still nothing. Finally ordered the micro usb to usb c otg cable that beingbuddah suggested. http://www.ebay.com/itm/10cm-Left-A...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649 Works like a charm! A little bit of a pain in the ass and something that I would think Oppo should address in a more constructive manner. Love the thing otherwise. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Back