*WARNING* OPPO HA2-SE DOES NOT WORK WITH GALAXY S8+ CURRENTLY
Apr 21, 2017 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Baird GoW

500+ Head-Fier
Title says it all. Will update as soon as I get a response from OPPO.

Their last email told me buying a adapter from micro to c would work, but if they actually read my email they would know I already tried that. Now I have tried with 2  adapters, and even 2 USB A to USB C cables. Nothing works. Please fix this OPPO... your website says it works with android and Iphones, I have only had this a couple months and am really disappointed; I expected this to work.

Apr 21, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 43
I'm sorry Mr joined in 2017... who are you again?

Apr 21, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #5 of 43
The whole point is for it to gain exposure in case someone is thinking of buying it. I am planning to post more and in more places once I get a meaningful response from OPPO.

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #6 of 43
Have you checked your USB OTG settings? I had to make sure OTG enabled on my LG G5 so that I could use my C5. Is your OPPO the only OTG device not working on your phone?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Apr 22, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #7 of 43
I got the S8 and have an older HA-2 (not the SE).  I cannot get my HA-2 to work via the USB OTG cable either, and I've logged a support ticket with Oppo on the matter.

Until that is resolved, I have gotten mine to work via the S8's standard USB adapter.  The only problem with this is it drains the phone battery to charge the HA-2.  This will of course shorten the battery life of the phone, but it's my workaround for now if/when i can't live without proper headphones and sound.  I tried and failed to get the HA-2 to work any other way with my S8.

The more that pile on to Oppo the faster we will get a resolution to this issue.  If you are plagued by this issue please contact them at https://www.oppodigital.com/ContactUs.aspx?CatID=1. 

Please note I have no other USB OTG devices with which to test S8 USB OTG compatibility.

TLF

Apr 22, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #8 of 43
I got it to work with the adapter I did not realize that this was charging the HA2 that is annoying. Hope they have a fix for us soon.

Apr 24, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #9 of 43
has anybody tried an adapter that did not come with their new Galaxy phone with the Oppo HA-2 series of devices?

if I just need another adapter because the one that came with my new phone is only for hooking up directly to another phone to transfer data, i can live with the $10 it costs me to buy a new adapter.

Apr 29, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #10 of 43
I bought a $10 USD adapter at my local superstore that is a USB-C to Micro-B adapter sync/charge cable and it works just like my workaround mentioned above - it charges the DAC from my s8 phone, so still not a good alternative.

Apr 30, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #11 of 43
I bought this one at my local grocery store (Fred Meyer):
https://byjasco.com/products/ge-usb-c-micro-b-charge-cable-33-ft
the audio worked, but power was being drawn. It’s getting returned.

I just ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018G6IK7E
I assume because it calls it out as a micro USB OTG adapter it will work. The other adapters are just micro USB adapters. Hopefully the OTG indicator will solve the problem.
It should arrive on Wednesday. I’ll let you know my results.

Cheers,
TLF2

May 1, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #12 of 43
I have the same issue, and oppo response was that it is not a matter that they can solve, only Samsung. i also had my HA2-SE worked with your workaround (USB adapter), thanks for that. It does drain the battery and the phone controls to decide whether the usb connection charges or gets charged, are not responsive.

Oppo suggested this cable: https://shopmeenova.appspot.com/st/p/mbc_c2mu.html , but I will hold from buying until I hear from you TLF2.

I will mention that the phone is charging the DAC, let's see what is that they have to say, but I doubt they will asay something useful. I am also reaching out to Samsung about this.

cheerio, marlopa

May 1, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #13 of 43
ok so, oppo got back to me on the issue of the DAC draining the phone, this is what they say:

"You will need to use an adapter or a cable that is compatible with the pin-out Oppo uses with the HA-2SE. The previously linked to Meenova cable should work without drawing power from the Samsung."

I'll get the cable and report back on whether it works.

Cheers, marlopa

May 4, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #14 of 43
Woohoo!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B018G6IK7E
Received the unit today and it works!
It is NOT charging the device. Sound routes through the Oppo HA-2 DAC.

I believe the important factor is that the adapter specs say OTG. this aligns the pins appropriately. I assume the micro-USB adapter that came with the Samsung Galaxy S8 phone are specifically meant for phone to phone data transfers.

Not bad for $7 - even have a backup.

May 4, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #15 of 43
Baird Gow - you may want to update the title a bit to reflect the actual problem - the samsung supplied adapter is not OTG compatible. this is a knock on Samsung and not on Oppo.

From Oppo:

It is designed for data transfer, not OTG, ... We have seen this with a lot of adapters and cables which were not designed with the intention of both data and OTG.

Best Regards,
Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc​

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back