WARNING: Monster DOES NOT honor warranty on open box items!!
Jul 23, 2010 at 10:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

ShyFroggy

100+ Head-Fier

I had ordered the open box deal on the Monster Turbine Coppers yesterday, but then read a testimony here that monster did not honor the warranty on open box items, despite onecall's claim that they do.

So I called monster, and indeed, they do not honor the warranty.  So then I called onecall to cancel my order.  They apologized, and are now sending me a NEW pair for the SAME price.  So for all those out there: MONSTER DOES NOT  HONOR WARRANTIES ON OPEN BOX ITEMS!!!  If you have just ordered a Monster open box item from one call, consider calling to cancel your order.  They might offer the same deal as they did for me.

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 73
No surprise.  Monster as a company is pretty evil and heartless as far as companies go.  Everything they make is expensive and they tried to sue everyone under the sun for anything remotely like their products in looks or name.  They just do some really stupid stuff.  It is nice that their earphones are pretty darn good sounding though, but it's a big thumbs down as far as their business practices go.

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #3 of 73
I'm actually not surprised they don't honor open box items.  I mean, they are technically used.  There just needs to be consistancy between what their authorized dealers claim and what they actually do.  I don't think anyone can deny their warranty for new earphones (the high end ones) is amazing.

But yeah, I agree that monster doesn't have the best reputation.  Trying to squeeze people into spending WAY more than necessary on cables...not cool.  But whatev.  If their earphones are great, They're great.

Jul 23, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #4 of 73
They need to have a good warranty, since there have been a few reports hereabouts on their MTPC and MTPGs coming apart. One pair of Coppers I owned started to split (in the driver body) and I got a full replacement, but sold them NIB on ebay rather than deal with it again (and I also found some different IEMs I liked more).

Jul 23, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #5 of 73
And why would you flat our say yours was open box?  Have PoP, have S/N and get them fixed don't shoot yourself by saying they are open box, or 2nd owner and so on.  Technically that open box makes you the second owner and very few companies support the second owner.  However the only way they can know is if you say something :wink:

Jul 23, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #6 of 73

each product has an individual serial number that i'm sure they can track., but more importantly usually with warranty claims you need to send a copy of your receipt of purchase with the earphones.  This receipt gives a full description of the product; my receipt from onecall says the following: • Monster Cable | Turbine Copper - Open Box | Professional In-ear Headphones   so it's right there.
Quote:
And why would you flat our say yours was open box?  Have PoP, have S/N and get them fixed don't shoot yourself by saying they are open box, or 2nd owner and so on.  Technically that open box makes you the second owner and very few companies support the second owner.  However the only way they can know is if you say something :wink:

Jul 23, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #7 of 73
Yeah, calling before hand to make sure a company honors the warranty is generally a good idea.  Phone calls don't hurt, assuming is what hurts. 

Now let's see if OneCall makes the necessary adjustments to their website. 

Jul 23, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #8 of 73
Actually, having owned both the MTPC and MTPG, the serial number is the same for every model (I know, because I registered mine and typed it in a few times). So no, they can't track the IEMs by serial number, though that is true of other product.

I am not really on board with companies that will not honor resold phones. After all, the phones in question were bought and paid for (assuming the seller was authorized), and if they truly stand behind their products, they will honor it no matter who owns it. Companies who will honor warranties for resold items are the kind that wind up with customers for life, which is the goal, right? I try to buy things like that if I can.

Quote:
each product has an individual serial number that i'm sure they can track., but more importantly usually with warranty claims you need to send a copy of your receipt of purchase with the earphones.  This receipt gives a full description of the product; my receipt from onecall says the following: • Monster Cable | Turbine Copper - Open Box | Professional In-ear Headphones   so it's right there.

Jul 23, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #9 of 73
I don't see what's so bad about "proof of receipt" being a requirement.  It's pretty standard that most companies wont keep repairing or replacing products for life, no matter who the owner it.  Besides, owners have to take some responsibility....

If I had a quarante that AKG would replace my K701s, screw the portapros - I'd be taking the K701s with me walks, bike rides, etc! 

Jul 23, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #10 of 73
Kudos to Onecall for sending you a pair of new ones. Good service. BUT...are they giving you an updated invoice showing the new pair as new? Sorry if you said they are, and I overlooked it. I no ready good.

Jul 23, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #11 of 73
yeah i forgot to mention that.  I have already received an updated e-mail statement, showing them as new.

Quote:
Kudos to Onecall for sending you a pair of new ones. Good service. BUT...are they giving you an updated invoice showing the new pair as new? Sorry if you said they are, and I overlooked it. I no ready good.

Jul 23, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #12 of 73
Even without a receipt you could use the production date for your warranty.  s/n are not tracked beyond which batch they belong to and where that batch shipped.

Jul 23, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #13 of 73
Sorry if this ends up being a double-post, but my initial post didn't seem to register.  yes, they did send me an updated invoice, showing the product as new.  I forgot to mention that.  Really top notch customer service--overlooking the fact that they have an incorrect product description lol.  But in the end it benefited me--new coppers for 189.00 (with mail in rebate).  I don't think anyone that say that isn't a steal.

Quote:

Jul 23, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #14 of 73
To be blunt all One Call needs to do is not say the product is open box on the invoice they email and send to the customer. That way the customer and reseller would get the warranty both parties should be entitled to. There is absolutely no way Monster would be able to prove the item is "open box".

In this case I think Monster is being a bit ridiculous, the product was bought and then rejected by the purchaser, the reseller then resells the item for a lower price to clear it out. It's not like the product was owned for 2 years by one person then sold to someone who felt that Monster should honor their purchase as if they had bought a brand new pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back