WARNING: Fake IE8s! Comparison pictures included!!
Aug 30, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #646 of 1,210
Thankfully the story ends well for me and I got a full refund for my fakes, well except the shipping back, that part sucked $40 Canadian... anyways this is way behind me and I happily sit here listening to my genuine IE8s.

@j57park. The very first thing I noticed when opening my fakes was how bad the lines looked around the famous Sennheiser S. I mean mine were not even, well even like some of the other fakes. I never even opened the box. That stupid.... um ohhh if swearing was aloud. Anyways, he kept trying to boycott my plans for getting my money back. Thankfully my dad called paypal for me and we won the fight. If you get a fake pair and you can tell immediately, don't open them. Like I said, I could tell on the monitors as soon as I lifted the flap, I was like screw****************K. But it's all behind me now, I just wish people would stop making the mistake of trying to get them so cheap. I mean I'm 16 so I was on a tight budget but learned my lesson quickly. You really lose hard... it's not like you have to pay retail anywhere anyways if you know what you are doing.

Aug 30, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #647 of 1,210
Can you provide some comparisons between the sound quality of the two?  Naturally the real ones will sound better, but I am curious how different they are.

Quote:
Some of the more blatant differences I noticed between my real and fake pairs:

-For the fake box, the lid did not quite reach the bottom of the box. Ie there was a significant gap between the bottom edge of the lid and the bottom lip of the box. With the real box, the bottom edge of the lid is pretty much flush with the bottom lip. Also, on fake box the "OPEN HERE" was relatively thin and dark yellow. On real box, that text is large, bold and bright yellow.

-With the fake box, the plastic band around the box was held together by a small piece of tape. No such tape with the real box.

-In the fake box, the packet that absorbs moisture is large and more squarish than the real one. The real packet is long and thin, specifically, it is about 1.5 cm by 4.5 cm. I didn't measure the dimensions of the fake one.

-Fake: the packet containing the tips is closed with a piece of tape. Real: that packet is not closed or sealed.

-Real: the instruction manuals in the different languages go in their own little packet. Fake: I don't remember such a packet, but I may be forgetting.

-Real: there is a green chip in the box where the one wire splits into two (where the "IE8" text is) that is easily visible with good lighting. Fake: there was no such chip, or it was not easy to see.

-Real: red chip in R driver, Fake: no red chip

Will post more if I think of anything else. I posted pictures of my fakes a page or two back. If you want me to post any pictures of my reals I will do so.

Also, if buying from amazon.co.uk avoid the seller GMZ-Fonz

Aug 30, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #648 of 1,210

Quote:

Why don't you get Radius DDM (HP-TWF11R) instead?  I sold mine IE8 after I heard DDM. Fascinating strings, and overall similar sounding to IE8, and the good thing about them, there are not being counterfeited yet so no risk involved 
biggrin.gif
. can get them in UK for 120 kingdom currency at iheadphones

Not seen much reviews. I was gonna go for a set of Shure's but was put off by the crap build quality. I bought a pair of £70 Ultimate Ears and whilst they were good sounding they have stopped working already

The guy on Amazon sent me a second email saying: "I asked my supplier he said the real one doesn't have the red chip and I have confirmed with the local branch. They also said there are no red chip." I hope this isn't his excuse of not giving me a refund. I sent the headphones back to him this morning

Sep 23, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #651 of 1,210
Hey there all
bigsmile_face.gif

I have purchased ie8s on ebay for £120 uk pounds on monday 20/09/2010. I only found this thread after i purchased them. They are comming from bulgaria.

Do you thin they might be real? or are they to cheap to be real??

Iv read nearly all the posts from this thread and to be honest there is so much conflicting information in relation to real and fakes. Such as a red wire or something in 1 of the headphones, and lines around the s on the headphones are thin or thick and closer to the s etc. Is there and definate ways to tell the difference between realand fakes??

http://cgi.ebay.ie/BNIB-Genuine-Sennheiser-IE-8-Headphones-Ear-iPod-MP3-/120622029973?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item1c15a21c95

am just new here so to be honest the spelling aint the best!!

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

aIDAN

Sep 25, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #654 of 1,210
The one thing that seems to be consistent, is that the plastic band that goes around the packaging is taped on the fakes and is completely connected on a real box and requires cutting.  I was able to pull the plastic band and open it, and then I could see the tape on the band.  I would forget about anything cable related, because there are reports about some fakes being shipped with genuine cables.  What confirmed it for me is that the bass knob on my pair didn't function.  If there was any boost, it was so slight that you really had to listen for it.  That is quite the opposite from what people have said with genuine headphones.

A lot of people just say to listen to them.  Well, that can sometimes be hard if you don't have much experience with quality IEMs.  And let's face it, just because they cost a lot doesn't mean that everyone will like them.  I have listened to several highly rated IEMs and still found it difficult to base it on sound alone.  The reason is that my fakes didn't sound terrible, but they didn't sound quite as good as I thought they should either.  It is definitely more of a gray area if you don't know how good they should sound.

Good luck, I hope you got a real pair.

Quote:
Hey there all
bigsmile_face.gif

I have purchased ie8s on ebay for £120 uk pounds on monday 20/09/2010. I only found this thread after i purchased them. They are comming from bulgaria.

Do you thin they might be real? or are they to cheap to be real??

Iv read nearly all the posts from this thread and to be honest there is so much conflicting information in relation to real and fakes. Such as a red wire or something in 1 of the headphones, and lines around the s on the headphones are thin or thick and closer to the s etc. Is there and definate ways to tell the difference between realand fakes??

http://cgi.ebay.ie/BNIB-Genuine-Sennheiser-IE-8-Headphones-Ear-iPod-MP3-/120622029973?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item1c15a21c95

am just new here so to be honest the spelling aint the best!!

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

aIDAN

Sep 27, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #655 of 1,210
ok i just bought my ie8. i went to my local sennheiser service centre to verify that it is genuine.

1) the plastic cover for mine is taped at the corners which are hidden from view. after cutting the plastic band, i noticed that one of the corner is taped.

2) mine has the red wire on both left and right connectors of the earphones. then center area where the 2 wires join also have a green chip inside it

3) my barcode starts before the R

4) after you open the lid for the box, there is a picture showing the different ear adapters included. I have 3 different kind under the silicon adapters and 1 under the foam adapters (the picture on the 1st page shows 2 each)

5) i bought it from advancedmp3players (yes they are the authorized dealer in UK)

on another note, since i haven't listen to any high end iem, i cannot really tell the difference in SQ.

Sep 27, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #656 of 1,210
THANKS

I am still waiting for mine to arrive :frowning2:

Hope they are worth waiting for. I havnt bought any high end headphones either before, but have a few much cheaper Sennheisers that sound great to me. A friend of mine gave me a loan of some Bose headphones and they sounded away better than my cheap Sennheisers. So done a bit of research and decided to buy the ie8's.

Just hopemine arrive and are real!!

THANKS FOR RESPONSE

Quote:
ok i just bought my ie8. i went to my local sennheiser service centre to verify that it is genuine.

1) the plastic cover for mine is taped at the corners which are hidden from view. after cutting the plastic band, i noticed that one of the corner is taped.

2) mine has the red wire on both left and right connectors of the earphones. then center area where the 2 wires join also have a green chip inside it

3) my barcode starts before the R

4) after you open the lid for the box, there is a picture showing the different ear adapters included. I have 3 different kind under the silicon adapters and 1 under the foam adapters (the picture on the 1st page shows 2 each)

5) i bought it from advancedmp3players (yes they are the authorized dealer in UK)

on another note, since i haven't listen to any high end iem, i cannot really tell the difference in SQ.

Oct 1, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #658 of 1,210
I wish I had stumbled upon this thread earlier. I bought the IE8 on ebay a few hours ago.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260669371840&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_4395wt_1129

The seller has stellar rating except for one guy who wrote that the seller was a "dodgy seller" but did not elaborate.

Things I've noticed from the pictures (not the best of quality).
1. The yellow skin tone on the packaging and the brightness of the ear.
2. I can't decide whether the metal box, the curve of the S....I'm not sure whether that's considered "curved" or more "straight". What do you guys think? It's definitely TOO close and doesn't appear thin enough to be authentic (I'm talking about the S logo)
3. The S logo on the IEM appear very white in colour in one of the pictures. In the other picture, the lines surrounding the S do not touch it/come close to touching it.
4.The R seems slanted which is a feature that is of an authentic one...

I've paid but I have not received it yet. Should I contact the seller now or wait until I get the actual earphones?

From what I've read in this thread, it seems like these are not real.

Would like to hear what you guys think though.

Thanks in advanced, guys.

Well, my consolation is that if these are fake, I should be able to get a refund because I paid through paypal.

When I do get them (that's if I chose not to email the seller telling him I might they're fake) and I give them a listen, I am confident I can tell the difference between a real and fake one.

Oct 3, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #659 of 1,210
The headphones i got were fake, i brought them them to Sennheiser Ireland and they confirmed my suspicions. They said they were an excellent fake and the only thing that gave it away was the packaging!! The worst thing about buying fake stuff of ebay is sending the stuff back and waiting to get my money back. Wish ebay could do something all the fake crap on the site!! I have to say I can normally tell fake crap a mile away but buying headphones and seeing the detail of fakes it was pretty hard to tell, that's why i brought them to Sennheiser to confirm that they were fakes. I have  bought another pair of amazon.de for €200 being sold by amazon themselves, just hope they are real!!

THANKS AGAIN

AIDAN

Oct 3, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #660 of 1,210
Hey there

The headphones i just got were fake! bought from ebay!!

When I got them the headphones looked like the real deal but on close inspection there was no red chip or wire in side the iem itself like most people here say there should be.

What made me suspicious was the packaging itself!!

On the packaging I got the picture on the inside of the side of some lads head, it was a real deep dark colour and you could not make out the persons hair at all, on the real box you can clearly see the persons hair in a lot more detail. On the storage box for the headphones the real is smooth and you can run your finger accross it easy, on the fake the box looks very similar but when you run your finger accross its rough and your finger wont go across smoothly. 

thats what i noticed was the main difference!!!

HOPE YOURS ARE REAL, its a pain in the ass sending stuff back to seller and its your expense aswell!!

Quote:
I wish I had stumbled upon this thread earlier. I bought the IE8 on ebay a few hours ago.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260669371840&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_4395wt_1129

The seller has stellar rating except for one guy who wrote that the seller was a "dodgy seller" but did not elaborate.

Things I've noticed from the pictures (not the best of quality).
1. The yellow skin tone on the packaging and the brightness of the ear.
2. I can't decide whether the metal box, the curve of the S....I'm not sure whether that's considered "curved" or more "straight". What do you guys think? It's definitely TOO close and doesn't appear thin enough to be authentic (I'm talking about the S logo)
3. The S logo on the IEM appear very white in colour in one of the pictures. In the other picture, the lines surrounding the S do not touch it/come close to touching it.
4.The R seems slanted which is a feature that is of an authentic one...

I've paid but I have not received it yet. Should I contact the seller now or wait until I get the actual earphones?

From what I've read in this thread, it seems like these are not real.

Would like to hear what you guys think though.

Thanks in advanced, guys.

Well, my consolation is that if these are fake, I should be able to get a refund because I paid through paypal.

When I do get them (that's if I chose not to email the seller telling him I might they're fake) and I give them a listen, I am confident I can tell the difference between a real and fake one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back