WARNING: Fake IE8s! Comparison pictures included!!
Dec 7, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #91 of 1,210
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The faded coloring is a big giveaway. The real one has more vivid colors and a distinct, raised, glossy IE8s on the front. The inside cover with the side view of them in the guy's ear is also more vivid, not dull like that.

It's interesting that he used a real IE8 photo for his close up of the IE8s themselves. It's not what you got. He did use his photos for the first two but someone else's IE8 close up.

The pic you linked show some very obvious faults.

The close up on the ebay auction are fakes, the lines near the S are to far away and to fat, if you look closely they look inconsistent to each other in terms of size. The red you think you might be seeing in the connector may be the copper wire above the solder.

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #92 of 1,210
Ah, you're right. They just look better at that angle then they did with miprasetya pic. I was looking more at the rounding of the casing which looked less squared then miprasetya's pic. Actually looking at OPs comparison pics, the casing shape looks nearly identical. For some reason, I was thinking the fake was a bit more squared off on the corners, and miprasetya's looks more squared then the eBay pic, but I guess that's just the camera angle rather then a difference between the two types.

I broke out the pair I'm selling to snap a couple pics.

It's kinda...big, lol, but you can see the thin lines and tight positioning with the S. Plus there's a lot of space around the outside. The fake doesn't have this space.

IE8%20Close%20Up%201.jpg

The red on the wiring might be a bit of trouble. For example, my left one pictured really doesn't show any red, and all I can really see is a little bit of copper on one side. However, my right one has the red but only a little bit. It doesn't seem to be as pronounced as the pic OP provided indicates, and it may vary some from earphone to earphone. It might only be on the right earphone wire.

Dec 7, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #93 of 1,210
Yes, I agree, the red wiring is hard to catch sometimes, especially on the left IEM. It's much easier spotted on the right side, hence why I wrote that in some of the images.

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #95 of 1,210
I will say this from what I can see in my sealed fakes, no I can't open the box. The real ones look beefier inside the connector, the fakes you see two wires covered in solder, that's it. You can just see there is more inside the real ones. I am very dedicated to this thread now because fakes piss me off. Even if I can't get my refund I will buy real ones at Christmas, preferably from NCIX since I know they'll be real. Does anyone know if NCIX is an authorized dealer, I see no reason why they wouldn't be.

Dec 8, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #96 of 1,210
Quote:

Originally Posted by votdfak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Solid Victory
We can say that red lil wire is decider?

Soon I'll post some pictures.

The red wire is definitely one of the bigger differences, but who knows, they might start incorporating that same red wire in the counterfeits.

I think one of the biggest giveaways is how the logo looks on the fakes. It just doesn't look nearly as sharp and polished as it does on the real IE8s.

@YGuyG: Yes, you're right. The real ones have more things going on inside the connector, whereas the fakes just have less inside.

Dec 8, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #99 of 1,210
Quote:

Originally Posted by brentpan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
damn it, I just found mine to be fake. i guess i will never buy headphones on ebay.

I'd be careful about buy them here too. I've seen one unscrupulous seller claiming not to have any sales receipt and not purchased from an authorized dealer. Buyers need to be very wary of fakes.

Dec 8, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #100 of 1,210
I just ordered a pair off Amazon UK, not a third party seller. Are there any chances that they are fake seeing that their much cheaper in UK than in the US. I got them for GBP163.

Here's the link:
Sennheiser IE 8 -IE Series Ear-Canal Phones: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

I really really hope they're not. Also, for more info, Sennheiser's authorized dealers sell them at GBP190 and the price difference isn't that great so I'm kinda guessing (and hoping) that they're originals.

Also read that Amazon is working with Sennheiser to stop fake products from hitting the market, so Amazon should NOT be selling fakes rite?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debbie Tyler, Sennheiser UK's Director of HR
"We're working with Amazon and Amazon marketplace too," adds Tyler. "If you type Sennheiser into Amazon you get a warning about fake products, although it has been less of a problem there than on eBay."

Here's the link:
Sennheiser Winning the Battle Against Counterfeiting - Ukslc.org

Here's all the info I've gathered so far. So, you guys think that my order might be a fake?

Dec 8, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #101 of 1,210
Quote:

Originally Posted by kobayashi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be careful about buy them here too. I've seen one unscrupulous seller claiming not to have any sales receipt and not purchased from an authorized dealer. Buyers need to be very wary of fakes.

i c, i will definitely buy a genuine one soon during xmas. right now i'm thinking where can i get a real one...btw, is that possible to get refund if it's purchased from ebay a month ago???

Dec 8, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #102 of 1,210
Some pictures of fake senns I've promised. Amazon will process my claim by 20th December. Seller has disappeared from Amazon, doesn't reply to emails, etc. Very funny
smily_headphones1.gif
. I am planning to order new from Sarjo. Sarjo anyone?

@SolidVictory

Thanks for your replies

1000126k.jpg

1000124ff.jpg

Dec 8, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #104 of 1,210
The red wire from the right earbud is actually the color coding from the cables themselves. The left should show a green wire as well. I tore up a bunch of IEMs before, and these are the wire coatings (color coded) to indicate left or right channel, it seems.

Dec 8, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #105 of 1,210
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone describe the sound difference between a fake and a real IE8?

I haven't tried a fake IE8 yet, though I'm really tempted to try one just for kicks.
k701smile.gif

I had my daughter test my IE8 at one time. I've had tons of in-ear phones, all of which she has already used at one time or another.

When she tried the IE8, the first thing she did was to point towards her full-sized cans. She took it off and told me that the IE8 sounded like full-sized headphones (soundstage?). None of my other IEMs can reproduce such an effect, and my IE8 isn't fully burned in yet.
k701smile.gif

I guess the fake ones may be able to clone the real IE8 cosmetically, but for them to be able to clone the IE8's sound production, would be a feat in itself.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back