Warning click bait: I hate to EQ
Jul 12, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #106 of 110
I am an electronics engineer and software designer in the military aerospace avionics field by profession, and also an audiophile for more than 40 years.
How is that even possible? How can you have been and electronics engineer and avionics designer if you have no idea of scale, never use meters, clearly don’t know the basics of calculating skin effect and don’t know the difference between marketing and technical papers. How many people have your avionics killed?
I formerly before retirement had a successful company, Magnan Cables Inc., marketing my own design of audio cables including interconnects …
Now there’s a surprise!
the following is a short essay on "tweaks" in high-end audio, an example of some of the technical material I referred to.
It is NOT technical material, it’s “a short essay on tweaks” as you yourself stated! Don’t you know the difference between a short essay you just made up and technical materials?
Also, attached below is a technical white paper I wrote on my own cable design theory.
It’s not a theory, it doesn’t even qualify as a hypothesis and apart from the “Figure of Merit”, which you did just make up, none of it is your own. Along with your essay, it’s packed with the same old audiophile marketing BS that’s been around for decades and debunked decades ago.
Guaranteed to outrage the audio skeptics here …
What audio sceptics? I’m an audio professional so I can’t be an audio sceptic and audio was invented by science, so anyone who’s a sceptic of audio is in the wrong forum. I am a sceptic of marketing BS though!
Undoubtedly a lot of snarky comments will follow.
You were asked for reliable evidence and you’ve presented none whatsoever, just the same old debunked marketing BS and you’ve even admitted to having been a marketer. So “yes”, there’s not much doubt you’re going to get snarky comments because this is NOT a BS marketing forum, as indicated by the name.

I can’t be bothered to cover the same ground already covered for decades but do you even have the slightest idea how much jitter even an average CD player from 30 years ago had? Or the magnitude of pre-ringing and where in the frequency spectrum it is? If so, then present reliable evidence. If not then you cannot have any idea whether improving them will have any audible effect and therefore your claims of audibility, “sonic poison”, etc., are just made-up BS!!

G

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #107 of 110
What peer reviewed journal was this white paper published in?
To be fair, “White Papers” are commonly technical information published by a manufacturer and are not peer reviewed. They provide a verifiable (often referenced) explanation of certain issues, how the technical design of the unit/equipment (which only the manufacturer knows) addresses these issues and detailed objective measurements proving the performance. Of course it’s wise to be more sceptical of a White Paper because it’s written by a manufacturer with a product to sell but typically in the audio world they’re fairly reliable. Unfortunately this isn’t the case in the audiophile world, they’re generally just another form of pure marketing; subjective impressions, inapplicable/inappropriate examples, no objective measurements of performance, etc. The paper linked by @dmagnan exemplifies this, it’s not a White Paper it’s pure marketing with no relevant “technical materials” at all. He’s unfortunately just lying, both an electronic engineer and an avionics designer would absolutely have know what a White Paper is and what it should contain.

By way of contrast, here’s an example of a real White Paper: “Clocking, Jitter and the Digidesign 192 I/O Audio Interface” - You don’t have to read it all but notice the objective, verifiable facts, the referencing and the comprehensive objective measurements of performance under a range of conditions.

G

Jul 12, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #108 of 110
I am an electronics engineer and software designer in the military aerospace avionics field by profession, and also an audiophile for more than 40 years. I formerly before retirement had a successful company, Magnan Cables Inc., marketing my own design of audio cables including interconnects (as for instance the well-known Magnan Type Vi interconnect), speaker cables and power cables.

Guaranteed to outrage the audio skeptics here, the following is a short essay on "tweaks" in high-end audio, an example of some of the technical material I referred to. Also, attached below is a technical white paper I wrote on my own cable design theory. Undoubtedly a lot of snarky comments will follow.

This subject is like the tip of the iceberg - looks small at first examination but actually huge.
I have found through long experience that these effects are definitively real and pervasive in audio, and at least partially can be corrected by various measures.

I have found the following list of "tweaks" or adjustment/correction techniques to be essential for great sound. Individually and collectively these modifications have improved the sound of my system more than any component upgrades such as new amplifiers, preamps, etc. I believe my findings are applicable and useful to audiophiles in general, but of course I cannot guarantee the same results given the great variation in personal taste and component design. Of course, audio skeptics ("meter reader" type engineers) will hear nothing or at least convince themselves that they hear nothing.

A prerequisite is that your system already has to be good enough in terms of resolution, imaging, etc. for these techniques to be of benefit.

This is just a partial and evolving list and only touches on a vast subject. One of the fascinations of audio is the complexity of the basic problem — attempting to reproduce recordings as realistically as possible in a home environment. The elements of the problem include electronics, psychoacoustics, acoustical engineering, mechanical engineering, physics (electromagnetics) and many other disciplines.

Theory

I believe that these measures work primarily through two interrelated mechanisms: by increasing the "time coherence" of the system, and by lowering the noise floor. In this context, to "improve time coherence" means to reduce the delay and smearing of sonic energy of a musical event over some period of time following the event. This "time smearing" phenomenon is inherent in the mechanical and electrical systems used for sound reproduction, and the ear-brain system is very sensitive to it. Interesting to note, with digital audio there also is what is called "pre-echo", a ringing propagated in the signal before the transient is encountered. This kind of smear is also poisonous sonically.

Electrical examples are skin effect or frequency-dependent phase shifting of signal current propagated through the interior of a wire and dielectric absorption in capacitors and cables. Mechanical / electrical examples are the time delayed and resonant behavior of speaker drivers and enclosures, flutter (rapid speed variations) in turntables and CD transports, and time smear induced in the phono cartridge output due to stylus contact-generated energy returned to the stylus after first being propagated into the tonearm and record. Interestingly, timing jitter in the CD playback serial digital data is caused both electrically and mechanically by vibration, and rapid speed variations in the transport drive mechanism.

Another example of vibration feedback-induced time smearing is the vibration of wires in cables due to sound pressures from the speakers and to electromotive forces induced by adjacent current-carrying wires.

Another form of mechanical vibration-induced time smearing is the fore-and-aft vibration of a speaker enclosure in response to forces on the driver voice coil. This is simply due to Newton’s law of action and reaction and occurs regardless of the rigidity and degree of damping of the enclosure. Simply placing a 15-20 pound lead weight on the top of the speaker improves clarity of sound considerably by reducing Doppler distortion due to the reactive fore-and-aft motion of the enclosure. Doppler distortion smears sonic energy over a range of frequencies (rather than time) and is inherent in all speaker designs. If a driver diaphragm is moving at both a low and a high frequency at the same time (say 50 and 5000 Hz), the higher frequency is modulated (distorted) by the lower frequency due to the Doppler effect. As the sound source approaches at some velocity its sound is shifted up in frequency proportionately to the speed of approach, and vice versa for the sound source moving away from the listener. This effect "frequency smears" the output of all speakers, with the effect worsening with decreasing efficiency, smaller radiating area and 2-way designs. Of course the weights also improve performance by increasing the damping of cabinet resonance.

The common effect of all these and many other time and frequency smearing mechanisms is a massive perceived blurring, smearing, flattening and veiling of the sonic "picture", along with various tonal imbalances such as overbrightness and bass boominess or looseness.

The items listed below are really more than tweaks — they partially correct fundamental problems such as time smear and RF induced noise that no new improved electronics or speakers can address. As a general observation, each of these techniques achieves unique improvements, which cannot be produced by other tweaks.

The following observations are very important and should be kept in mind when considering "tweaks". The less revealing or resolved the system already is, the less impact the addition of a single modification or tweak will make. Of course, "revealing" doesn’t mean expensive — the transparency, resolution and musical naturalness of a system are more dependent on the quality of setup and tweaking than expense of components. This means that the first few modifications may only slightly improve the sound, but as the system’s resolution gets better and better, subsequent "tweaks" become more and more dramatic in their effect. Basically, the ear/brain system can perceive very small amounts of time smear or incoherence. If a given system mod or "tweak" reduces time smear by x amount and the system initially has 10x time distortions, there is little improvement. If the system is better, with only 2x distortion, the same tweak transforms the sound because it doubles the resolution by halving the time distortion.

My overall tweak technique list keeps expanding, but this is it for now. It is hard to give a relative ranking of all those items, but I have found that as a group the AC power purification techniques make the greatest improvement. Your comments and questions are welcome.

List of Techniques

Power line shunt or parallel filters

Do-it Yourself AC Filtering

Power conditioners

Dedicated earth ground

Ferrite RFI blockers

Turn Off and Unplug

Other Noise and Hum Reduction Techniques

Power Cables

Interconnects

Speaker Cables

Devices designed to correct CD digital errors

Component support and damping

Special component feet

Improved passive parts

Parallel RFI filtering at speaker input

Antistatic sprays
I did not read more than a few lines of your post. It is not necessary. If I have a RCA-cinch cable and if I can determine that it is audibly transparent (for my application) then I am ready. I then have my perfect cable for the job because better than audibly transparent is not possible. There is no need to study fancy cable theory. There is no need to try any other or all expensive cables in the world. A few dollar should cover it.

Jul 12, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #109 of 110
I didn't realize that white papers mean "sales pitch". Why would you post sales pitch to a science forum? Are you looking for us to peer review your sales pitch?

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 4:42 AM Post #110 of 110
I know red hot chili paper.(sorry)

@dmagnan, I saw gregorio's response before reading your "paper" and thought he was hard on you. But after reading the marketing pamphlet, I'm thinking he maybe wasn't hard enough.

I do love the consistency of those audio-marketing schemes. Real physics phenomena explained in a vague, generic way, followed by "and that's why the sound goes brrrr". With the classic "not appearing in those articles":
Amplitude of the event.
Actual amplitude of impact for the alleged solution.
Any actual evidence that it's audible at the typical magnitude found in audio playback when listening to actual music.
CDN media

Turn Off and Unplug
Hey! I did notice a huge impact on music when I do that. And it works on all devices!!!! First there's music, and then it stops.

Nice EQ discussion...

OK, I'm clearly in a silly mood, I'll go annoy more people outside now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back