Warning about Kyle of Reference Audio Mods
Apr 4, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #61 of 79
I don't think Stax was cutting the leads in their power supplies in SRM-1s, at least not series A or B versions. Re-wiring those for 120V requires only the most absolute basic understanding of how a piece of electronics works. I'm unsure if the series C or the PP version of the SRM-1 had their wires cut, but even so it's not terribly difficult to get around the problem. Any competent technician should be able to handle it.

Buyer beware of these mod shops.

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #62 of 79
i know this can be done. i'm sure of it
i could do it myself with some guidance
he knew he couldn't do it
it's no transformer issue
it can be modded as well
competant technician?
it isn't reference audio mods
he probaly f'd it fooling around and that's why he is stalling sending it back
he said he would send it back last monday
people like him ruined my interest in high end audio
lazy arse wouldn't even contact stax which is in gardena 2 hours from him
he know says "i only do this part time"
he is a sham artist

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #64 of 79
hard to find in nyc(believe it?)
i did do extensive reserch on the stax and i could probaly have done it myself
i'm sure it's semi switchable voltage
actually all the other guys had worse reviews
hope he didn't f it up

the reason for the mod is i lost the original power cord :3 prong to 2 prong
(not made anymore)

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #65 of 79
Paul,
Make sure you have something in writing from Kyle in case something has gone wrong.
That is the only way I got some money back from him I insisted on a written warranty to protect me in case I had to take him to court for faulty workmanship. Experimenting with your gear at your expense with no accountability doesn't work for anyone.

Bottom line is he shouldn't be taking on work that like this, not at all.
He simply doesn't have the background to help in case things go horribly wrong and has a long history of sending these basket cases on to other techs to solve problems for him, taking years to follow up on or simply never seeing your gear again.

Don't be a victim of faulty, inexperienced workmanship just because you see a handsome website.
Dj

Apr 4, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #66 of 79
It sounds like he has just been doing parts substitution, changing out normal wire for audio consulting e.t.c. Obviously when things go wrong that require EE knowledge he is unable to fix or isolate faults.

Anyone could be such a modder, just replacing every component for the most expensive audiophile parts.

'the best parts makes the best sound' - no wonder this system ended up costing 28k.

Apr 5, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #67 of 79

where is king stax -spitzer? does he check this site? he knows srm 1 mk2
will have to wait to see if i get a burn box back
again, i am in nyc

if he's reading this: if ANYTHING is damaged you better do the right thing and fe$$ up now
and save us agro and  this tedious e mail bs. These are the prices. Put the money in an envelope and send the rest back.
the amp box is $450(vg-it was functional with the power cord and blue cube)
the phones are $500( M... and i'm discounting)
the dnm's are $75(M- half price deal?)
the denson is $25
the cd's are $10 each

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #69 of 79
NEW HERE
SITE IS ultra SLOW TO POST IN(frame refresh ?) and cumbersome to locate topics
I DID POST IN THAT THREAD AS WELL
however,IT WAS DELETED FOR "DUPLICATION(' ?) and caps

btw still haven't heard from reference
sum ting wong?

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #70 of 79
I am sure he is getting the head-fi emails like you are, as well.
So, I am sure he has or will see your complaints and respond either personally or here.
Public Pier Pressure is a Powerful Internet Tool when used the right way to gain recourse from internet companies like RAM.

He has damaged his online business badly by what has been written here and the more people that let him know that they won't put up with this nonsense
the faster he will realize that he must clean up his act and deal with people honorably. He admitted to me last fall the he is now caring for his 5 year old daughter during the day and working part time in the evenings. I find him to be a very poor businessman and full of himself as some sort of genuine electronics tech. I know for a fact that he IS NOT and while he has taught himself to upgrade CD players with the help of Audio Consulting his  "BEST PARTS" mentor. Certainly, doesn't give him the right to abuse people like this, again and again.

Kyle is known to "hide his head in the sand" for a while when he gets himself in "HOT WATER" like this, so give him a moment to COME OUT INTO THE LIGHT and EXPLAIN himself. Which he will as he does want to stay in business, at least for now.
Dj

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #71 of 79
Add me to the list. I sent Kyle a DK Design hybrid integrated in December gave him a 50 percent deposit in January and as of April 10, have neither a completed unit or date of completion. I paid him through paypal so have filed a complaint through them. At this point all i want is a refund of what I paid him. I need a working amp for my ampless system and am working securing an amp since i can only assume this will be a total loss. Unfortunately he fixed some botched work by a former associate several years back very satisfactorily and very promptly. I didnt research current issues and this is on me that i didnt. I live in Ft LAuderdale, FL so im assuming my options are limited. He has refused to respond to my emails since 3/27 after i was forced to do the due diligence i should have done going into this. What goes around comes around and how this guy can stay in business after all the bad press ive seen is nobodys fault but those of us who didnt research and sent him gear and/or gave him money. AGain, Ill settle for what i paid him. I am moving on with a very negative lesson learned. Of course all of us should probably file a class action suit against Kyle and Reference Audio mods.

Apr 10, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #72 of 79
All of you might want to check in with the Riverside County Attorney's office as he doesn't reside within the City of Riverside, California itself.

He needs to be a honorable businessman, help him to do so.

May 16, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #73 of 79
I absolutely don't have any words to describe what I've just read and seen in this thread.

This guy and his so called "company" should be put out of business. This guy is a leech!

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #74 of 79
I was shocked that Jason Serinus at Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity still recommends this A-hole and Reference Audio Mods for his PS audio transport. He did say the soldering was shabby, but due to Kyle having the flu!!!

Jun 5, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #75 of 79
Check out www.referenceaudiomods.com

It appears that Kyle has closed up shop and disappeared from view.
Is he gone and gone for good?
Only time will tell for sure.

Time Heals all Wounds and Time Wounds ALL HEELS!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back