Warning about Kyle of Reference Audio Mods
Aug 13, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #16 of 79

Quote:
Email from you Kyle, just a few short minutes ago, not the same as you stated here. I have stated many times I had a balance owed and with held until all open issues are resolved.

[size=10.0pt]From:[/size][size=10.0pt] Reference Audio Mods [mailto:referenceaudiomods@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, August 12, 2011 7:49 PM
To: diamond@cox.net
Subject: [/size]

Dear Mr Balm,

I am happy to repair your Marantz as I mentioned previously.  There is nothing wrong with the amp Mr.Balm.  The Carver inherently generates a fair amount of noise.  It is what it is.  The speakers I did not force onto you.  You even wanted them on a payment plan...diodes an all.... I believe if anything I was screwed out of diodes, Audio Consulting silver wire and $1400!!  You speaking so high and mighty of yourself and throwing me under the bus...will you have these items and cash to give to me?????  Shall we provide this as evidence to your attorney on your failed obligation to pay me Mr Balm????  I mean really??

Best Regards,
Kyle Takenaga
Reference Audio Mods
17255 Vista Del Lago Dr.
Riverside, CA 92503
1-951-454-4842 phone
www.referenceaudiomods.com

Isn't that what everyone here would want? A $5000 noisy amp?

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #17 of 79
Dear Mr. Balm,

Components do go through these pahase on occasion....remember the infamous Philips SACD1000?  It develops so many problems after the fact that all modders had to discontinue it.  
Never said the Carver didnt have a hiss.  As I mentioned it is what it is!  Mr Balm, it was entirely your choice to purchase the Mantra Sound speakers...even on a rather unorthodox payment plan.

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #18 of 79

Quote:
Dear Mr. Balm,

Components do go through these pahase on occasion....remember the infamous Philips SACD1000?  It develops so many problems after the fact that all modders had to discontinue it.  
Never said the Carver didnt have a hiss.  As I mentioned it is what it is!  Mr Balm, it was entirely your choice to purchase the Mantra Sound speakers...even on a rather unorthodox payment plan.

The Marantz had TOC issues from day one, why would I want that for the price you charged and never was able to repair.
Nor would anyone want a hissy amp, be real and take care of business! Did I ever complain here or anywhere else about the $10.500 speakers? Round and round and round we go, where or when do you take responsibility for your actions?
Are you going to honor the sale with your customers satisfaction or not? I always went along with your recommendations as long as I had final approval. You know good ole customer satisfaction for a good job well done?

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #20 of 79
So, Kyle if you recommend AND provide any component and then discontinue it, do you give a refund, exchange it for a better choice or just stick it to the customer anyway because you modded it??  And knowing this upfront, do you STILL deliver the piece with any sound conscience of mind as an honorable businessman?

Well, here we have it folks the deciding moment I have waited years for...will he make good on the sale or continue to play games?
Stay tuned we are all waiting with baited breath!

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #21 of 79
Dear Mr. Balm, 

One of your complaints seem to be that the amp is a bad match for the 60 watt speakers.  These items were purchased at different times so the amp was originally mated to different speakers. This is an irrelevant point you keep making.  Also re-read your email from September 2005 which does refer to the the modded Carver amp mated to the Mantra speakers.... You sound pretty happy with the sound...no???  

So I will state again as I did previously.  I will fix your cd player free of charge.  I will not refund you for the Carver amp.  

Please let me know if you would like for me to order the laser.  I will do this on my dime Mr Balm.  I will pay for shipping both ways as well.  That is all I can do for you. 

Sincerely,

Kyle Takenaga

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #22 of 79
"So, Kyle if you recommend AND provide any component and then discontinue it, do you give a refund, exchange it for a better choice or just stick it to the customer anyway because you modded it??  And knowing this upfront, do you deliver the piece with any sound conscience of mind as an honorable businessman?"

Dear Mr Balm, We will always offer to service all products RAM has modified.  In fact, I am not sure you are aware of this but I fired Doug Jesse in 2008 for his shortcomings under RAM.  We have been accepting ALL players he has modded... adding, replacing, fixing everything he has done wrong free of charge!  However, your requests are simply unreasonable as there really is nothing wrong and ultimately anything to fix....accept the laser I explicitly said I would do free of charge

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #23 of 79

Quote:
Dear Mr. Balm, 

One of your complaints seem to be that the amp is a bad match for the 60 watt speakers.  These items were purchased at different times so the amp was originally mated to different speakers. This is an irrelevant point you keep making.  Also re-read your email from September 2005 which does refer to the the modded Carver amp mated to the Mantra speakers.... You sound pretty happy with the sound...no???  

So I will state again as I did previously.  I will fix your cd player free of charge.  I will not refund you for the Carver amp.  

Please let me know if you would like for me to order the laser.  I will do this on my dime Mr Balm.  I will pay for shipping both ways as well.  That is all I can do for you. 

Sincerely,

Kyle Takenaga

Quote:
"So, Kyle if you recommend AND provide any component and then discontinue it, do you give a refund, exchange it for a better choice or just stick it to the customer anyway because you modded it??  And knowing this upfront, do you deliver the piece with any sound conscience of mind as an honorable businessman?"

Dear Mr Balm, We will always offer to service all products RAM has modified.  In fact, I am not sure you are aware of this but I fired Doug Jesse in 2008 for his shortcomings under RAM.  We have been accepting ALL players he has modded... adding, replacing, fixing everything he has done wrong free of charge!  However, your requests are simply unreasonable as there really is nothing wrong and ultimately anything to fix....accept the laser I explicitly said I would do free of charge

No Sir, I, nor anyone else here would want that amp. I have always reserved the right to final approval, I think by now you DO know how I feel about that component choice for my system. An inappropriate response to a reasonable request from a man who has paid you many, many thousands for dollars and I have the right to refuse this piece and I do. Fire yourself for your incompetence!

Don't be such a weasel! Should we leave it to a 10 person vote here?
Anyone care to make a comment?

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #24 of 79
I stand firm by these words:

Both the Marantz and the Carver failed shortly after delivery. Repaired and repaired again.
Redelivered and never stuck around to ask if I was satisfied, promised to return to address the issues.
Willing to honor the sale as long as it doesn't cost more than laser part. Tens of thousands of dollars from my pocket to his.
I deserve better than I see here. The Marantz SA-8260 like the Philips 1000 proved to be bad player with issues.
These were well documented on the web. Why would I,  should I want to pay thousands for dollars for one from you?

If you stand by your work and from what you say you have stood good for Doug Jesse's work, why not the work you stuck me with?

So, Kyle if you recommend AND provide any component and find it continually failing then discontinue it, do you give a refund, exchange it for a better choice or just stick it to the customer anyway because you modded it??  And knowing this upfront, do you STILL deliver the piece with any sound conscience of mind as an honorable businessman?

Well, here we have it folks the deciding moment I have waited years for...will he make good on the sale or continue to play games?
Stay tuned we are all waiting with baited breath!

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #25 of 79
 Kyle assumes a laser replacement will bring this player back to factor specs regarding source material.

I have never seen evidence or documentation of any kind to support that fix.

He offers no guarantee and if it still doesn't completely function as intended, I am still stuck with a crippled player, no better off than I am now!

Nothing but big talk, put your money where your mouth is, offer me a money back guarantee on your work!

Like the Carver, the Marantz is nothing more than a boat anchor!

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #26 of 79
^ Bated breath. By all means, continue on.

bated |ˈbātid|
adjective (in phrase with bated breath)
in great suspense; very anxiously or excitedly : he waited for a reply to his offer with bated breath.
ORIGIN late 16th cent.: from the past participle of obsolete bate [restrain,] from abate .
USAGE The spelling : baited breath instead of bated breath is a common mistake that, in addition to perpetuating a cliché, evokes a distasteful image. Before using the expression bated breath, think of the verb : abate, as in : the winds abated, not fish bait..

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #28 of 79
Looks at pics.... Do you plug it in and wait for it to blow up? or do you strap some c4 to it and detonate it to save time?
I'm sorry I have a HI-FI speaker system (click on my username and see my profile, my equipment is listed) and I keep things stock, that way if it goes to hell, it can be fixed.

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #29 of 79
Sorry about Jim's predicament.

I actually am not able to fully follow the story, let alone pass on a personal judgment, but I have a CD player modified by another member of RAM a few years back. The modder was a former partner of Klye, who have now left RAM for another business. Somehow certain parts used in the modification package turn out to be sub-standard and the player ceased to function. By the time I notified Kyle, his partner has already left RAM for recourse. However Kyle agreed to do the repair himself and replaced the faulty parts at his own cost, while I was asked to bear only the freight charges. Fair enough. The CD player was repaired and function flawlessly since then.

Can't say, may be I was just being lucky, or perhaps because it is a relatively minor issue it is easier to be cater of. The point is, when people sought out modifications they should be aware of the issues involved. These things happen sometimes, and the usual case is modified components has a low recoup / resale value percentage. Unless one intend to own the audio component for long haul, I would not go the modification route. Plus, it is safer not to put all the eggs into one basket, and undertake a big project with one modder, just in case.

Again I am sorry to hear of Jim's situation and hope that it would be resolved satisfactorily by both parties.

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #30 of 79
Anyone who maybe interested, the speakers in my first picture has headphone transducers mounted in the large horn. This is why I joined years ago.

Inside the bent wood horn is a graduated rectangle tube that extends to the outside edge of the speaker, on that end are a pair of Sony open baffled headphone transducers. They back load and create the mid range, they give high frequency out the front. These speakers can be seen at many audio shows world wide and have great show reviews. Google Audio Consulting and you will find them from past shows. I did do allot of my own homework. A specially produced series of Audio Consulting inductors, coils and OIP capacitors make up the outboard crossover. The bass bin is crossed over at 250 Hz, they are the way speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back