Warm vs. bassy vs. warm and bassy (Initial impressions of the DT770-600s and Denon D1100s)
Dec 2, 2010 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 81

Marximus

Headphoneus Supremus
I think it's safe to say I'm a basshead.  Not super, but I definitely don't like neutral (the cans I've heard which are supposed to be neutral have been boring, to me).  I had the HD600s, and they were good, but were lacking in bass (all future impressions are with regard to my brain's perception of the sound).  I got the DT990-600s a couple weeks ago, and they are better, but still could use some heft in the lower end.  Christmas came early today:  I received both the DT770s and the D1100s from the UPS man.  Whoa.
I would describe the HD555s as warm (been a while since I owned them).  I would describe the HFI-780s as bassy.  I would describe the D1100s as both warm and bassy.  The amount of bass coming from the Denons is astonishing.  I don't think I've ever heard more bass from a headphone.  The Denons do have an appeal to them, but there's just SO MUCH BASS.  It's like they have a warm buttery texture, but the cow from which you took the butter is kicking you a couple times.
Switching to the DT770s for the first time, I thought they sounded thin, which probably sounds weird.  I got the impression that the amount of bass I'm looking for is between the DT770s and the D1100s.  I tried the Bass Reducer EQ in iTunes for the Denons, and it was like their soul was sucked out.  I then tried the DT770s with Bass Booster on, and now I'm REALLY close to the kind of bass I'm looking for.  I think I'll play around with them a bit more, but the DT990s are probably going to be sold.  It's really nice to find a pair of headphones that actually sound like they didn't get castrated.

Dec 2, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 81
Yup... felt the same way about the DT770/600 Ohm. Not much bass impact and strident highs. Thin is a good description.

Good luck. The perfect bass is an elusive thing. The DT880/600 has great extension. It digs deep but the impact is light. My M50's are very close to ideal in the bass (after break-in), and the D7000 is darn near right on the money. If it had a tad deeper extension it would be perfect!

shane

Dec 2, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #4 of 81
how are the highs and mids of the d1100 vs the dt990? also what about vocal? 

I'm starting to get really curious about them, I was thinking of trying out the d2000, but I'm intrigue about the bass.  I'm just worried about the rest of the frequency.  I wish headroom had a frequency chart for them so I kinda have an idea of what I am looking at.

Dec 2, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 81
DT770 sounding "thin" is a fitting description IMO too, or I'd say "laid-back" rather which generally comes from the relatively bright/excessive highs vs recessed mids making it sound very clear but lacking "thickness"/meaty sound versus warm sounding headphones. Laid-back sound is more clear, more details are revealed but for me it's also more boring to listen to. This was one of the reasons I disliked and returned DT770 Pro/80 as I've learnt afterwards that I prefer a very warm sound, the other was the bass being too loose vs too little impact/punch.

I'm very interested in D1100 due to lots of bass quantity and warm sound signature and not too excessive highs but I haven't got a good grip about how the bass is on those, is like boomier or punchier compared to DT770 or much the same but stronger? No1 has really tried describing the bass of the D1100 besides commenting on the quantity yet so this would be very useful info.

Dec 2, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #6 of 81
I felt the same way about the denon's 1100 when I tried it a few days ago....

there like a much improved version of dr.dre beats. 

very comfy too.....

I just thought it was a tad too big for me to carry....=/
and compared to hd-1-ii, less indestructable....
wish it had detachable cables....

but sound was great!!! like sitting in a concert hall.....

Dec 2, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #7 of 81
The bass of the D1100s is far stronger than the DT770s (haven't listened to the 80-Ohm version).  Maybe at least 2x as much.  It's pretty tight (mind-blowing impact), but it's just incredibly strong.  If you say you like a very warm headphone, I don't know if you can get any warmer than this without losing all sense of control.  If we're talking about warmth, with the DT770s, it's like wearing a windbreaker.  But the D1100s are like a full mountaineering suit stuffed with down.

Dec 2, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #8 of 81
nvm. I might of found my answer.

Dec 2, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #9 of 81

Quote:
The bass of the D1100s is far stronger than the DT770s (haven't listened to the 80-Ohm version).  Maybe at least 2x as much.  It's pretty tight (mind-blowing impact), but it's just incredibly strong.  If you say you like a very warm headphone, I don't know if you can get any warmer than this without losing all sense of control.  If we're talking about warmth, with the DT770s, it's like wearing a windbreaker.  But the D1100s are like a full mountaineering suit stuffed with down.

Thanks for that reply. I personally like big impact so these have like MUCH more punch compared to DT770 but what about deep bass, are they capable of delivering deep rumbling bass too? Some headphones have very punchy bass with big impact but can still lack in the deep bass production (AKG K 518 DJs to mention one example). But the description you gave reminds me a lot of XB500's bass, in deep vs upper bass they are very balanced, 45/55 deep/upper bass ratio or something like that and the upper bass just delivers incredible impact but it also delivers huge deep rumbling bass when asked for it (very much the same as XB700 which only delivers that deep bass but doesn't deliver near the amount of punchy upper bass like XB500 does). Also how exactly do you find the highs? Are they like significantly smoother or less bright than on the DT770? I personally prefer somewhat smoother highs, say something just a notch less screetchy/bright than ATH-M50 which is perhaps got tiny bit less excessive highs than DT770 is about right for me.

D1100 will probably be the next headphone I'll try once I get bored with these XB500, I still like them a lot so I'm not in a hurry but I know which headphone I'm gonna try next at least. :)

Dec 2, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #10 of 81
The D1100s have both incredible impact and deep rumbling bass.  For instance, on Also Sprach Zarathustra, the organ piece, the deep notes of the organ are very powerful.  Accurate?  Probably not.  But a lot of fun.  The top end of these is really something.  The highs are well-extended, but in all likelihood the smoothest top end I've ever heard.  Not even a hint of sibilance, which is nice for me.  What's interesting about the bass on these is that while it's very strong, it only comes when it's called.  Kind of like a very obedient English Mastiff.  I would expect bass like this to overshadow all the other frequencies, but these are still incredibly detailed and relatively well-balanced cans, if you can get by the bass.

Dec 2, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #11 of 81
You sir needs to work as a salesperson, my wallet's already screaming! 
biggrin.gif

I've got all info I need about them now and everything I've read about them fits just perfectly along with my personal taste how it should sound like (XB500 sounds the same actually but I'm pretty sure the Denons will probably sound similar but better) and the design is much to my liking too, lightweight (this is a very important factor, I prefer weight of below 200g always when possible and these are unusually light for their size, not to mention 50mm drivers!) and they shut off a significant amount of ambient noise which is one of the parts where I wish Sony XB series would be better, it's decent but not great and the pads look like any highend expensive headphone should have, extremely comfortable.

All in all I must say Denon did a great job with these headphones, they are good on many aspects, easily driven, unusually lightweight, comfortable, unusually impactful in the bass for a Denon, very warm sounding (Denons aren't usually extremely warm sounding except for perhaps D5000 then so it's good to have more cheaper versions of those too) and great pads & ambient noise isolation.

Dec 2, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #12 of 81
Yes, they are quite lightweight.  They remind me a bit of the Bose AEs.  Not quite as lightweight as the Bose, and they clamp a bit more, but still quite comfortable, and despite their apparent size/depth, my ears have a lot of room, which is something I can't say for a lot of headphones I've tried.  The Beyers are comfortable, but my ears get really close to touching the drivers, if not actually contacting them.  All this talk is making me excited to get off work and listen to them some more
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #13 of 81
I can find these for ~£100 on amazon.co.uk from several dealers (incl appointed Denon dealer) that doesn't charge almost anything shipping abroad either and 99% positive feedback (1% neutral), very intriguing. If I would find these in Finland they'd probably cost 200€.

If you find more stuff about the headphones or just like to write more when you listen to them, please do so, these are still relatively new so there's not that much feedback about them yet. 

Dec 2, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #14 of 81
I've been in love with my DT770s, no headphone I've ever tried comes close to the bass while maintaining the rest of the sound relatively well. But I've never tried the D1100 and you are making me consider cheat on my long term relationship with Mrs. Beyerdynamic. :frowning2:

Dec 2, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #15 of 81

Quote:
I've been in love with my DT770s, no headphone I've ever tried comes close to the bass while maintaining the rest of the sound relatively well. But I've never tried the D1100 and you are making me consider cheat on my long term relationship with Mrs. Beyerdynamic. :frowning2:

DT770 are highly different though, you have to realize we all have our own taste how it should sound like, that Marximus and me would enjoy these headphones really much doesn't have to mean you would. D1100 is very different sounding like I said, more punch in the bass, the highs are far more smoother and the overall sound signature is very warm as opposed to DT770 which is a tad laid-back. That doesn't have to mean you wouldn't like them in case this kind of sound is actually to your prefers but your "initial" reaction would probably be, "hey these sounds so much more muddier" compared to my DT770.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back