Wanting a clear over ear headphone for mainly jazz and under $250?
Nov 17, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
Hi all. I would like some advice on what sort of really clear headphones I could buy for under $250? My amp is a Fiio E17 so it can drive almost anything. Thanks in advance!

Heya,

Can you describe more of what the sound is that you're after? Bassy & Warm? Neutral? Relaxed or exciting? Bright or dull? Aggressive or mellow? Do you need isolation or prefer a closed headphone? Or would you rather have the open air headphones (assuming environmental noise and other people are not a problem)? Preference on pads types (soft velour or pleather)?

Also, what do you mean by clear? Do you mean tight? Good separation of tones? Fast? Or do you just mean not grainy?

I'm a big jazz-head, and I find that most headphones that most people really put into jazz tend to be smooth, articulate, but warm headphones with good sound stages, focusing on separation of tones, and having a touch of sparkle in the treble for some and others like it a little darker, less bright (rolled off treble), and for some reason love to pair it up with tube DACs and tube AMPs as well (though you already have the E17).

Based on your answers, we can suggest some headphones that will fit your wants perhaps.

Very best,

Nov 17, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #8 of 11
Hey MalveauX,

I am a bit of a noob when it comes to all these terms. I know I want a nice warm, fast and articulate sound that doesn't need to have much bass. What type of headphone does not really matter, I will be using them mainly at home. The ear pads don't matter either, just as long as they're not really really tight.

I there is anything else you want to know, PM me!!

Thanks so much :)

P.S they still need to be under $250 :)

Nov 17, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
Hey MalveauX,
I am a bit of a noob when it comes to all these terms. I know I want a nice warm, fast and articulate sound that doesn't need to have much bass. What type of headphone does not really matter, I will be using them mainly at home. The ear pads don't matter either, just as long as they're not really really tight.
I there is anything else you want to know, PM me!!
Thanks so much
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S they still need to be under $250
smily_headphones1.gif

Heya,

Well, having little to really go on, I think I'm getting that you want a warm neutralish headphone that don't clamp hard.

Here's some suggestions:

Open air (for larger sound stage):

Beyer DT880 PRO 250ohm
Hifiman HE-300
AKG Q701
AKG K240 MKII
Ultrasone HFI 2400
AudioTechnica AD900
Sennheiser HD558 & HD598
Sony MA900

Closed back (for isolation/privacy):

Beyer DT770 PRO 250ohm
AKG K167
AKG K271 MKII
AudioTechnica A700X & A900X
Sennheiser HD380 PRO
Sony MDRZX700 & MDR1R
Ultrasone PRO 650 & PRO 750
Shure SRH840
Brainwavz HM5

I would probably heavily lean you toward the Beyer DT880 and Hifiman HE-300 ideally, and AudioTechnica A900X if you go the closed route.

Very best,

Dec 6, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #11 of 11
Hi there!

I am also new to this forum and to good gear as well, but as my K518s have unfortunately died, I started looking for something better. I am into jazz, alternative rock (Radiohead) and folk (mostly violin, drums and singing), therefore I would need the cans to be bassy and warm with a good separation of tone; over the ear type. Although I am not really into isolated headphones, it is probably the way to go, as I am on the move most of the time.

I have a cowon iaudio7 which also needs replacing, no amplification yet, therefore I am open to any good ideas. My budget for the headphones is the same as above, so 250 $, and about 200 $ for the player + amp.

Thank you very much in advance for any good ideas, looking forward to see them!

Greetings from Prague!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back