wanted: hardcore/metal recommendations
Jan 4, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #46 of 55
I just got Machine Head - The Blackening yesterday and thouroughly enjoyed it. It's thrash metal and has some harsh vocals, but no growls or screaming. But the guitar riffs and drumming will totally rock your socks off.

I'd also recommend Tool. Not hardcore, but they are a great metal band. I'd recommend Lateralus, 10000 Days, and Aenema by Tool to start with.

A Perfect Circle are also good, but are less metal, more rock. I like all their (3) albums and I'm listening to Mer do Noms right now and would certainly recommend that.

Liquid Tension Experiment was mentioned, which I love. But I also love Dream Theater and LTE is pretty much DT without the vocals. It was an instrumental side project by two of the members of DT (John Petrucci, Mike Portney), Jordan Rudess (not in DT then, but is now) and Tony Levin.

Jan 4, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #47 of 55
I'd also like to mention that Tool have some fantastic album art, really creative stuff. I like Lateralus, each page of the booklet is clear plastic and has a layer of a portrait of a human, from skin through muscle, veins, etc to skeleton.

10000 Days is also great. The cover has lenses on it that you use to view the booklet, which is filled with stereoscopic images.

Not really important to the music, but cool none the less.

Jan 4, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #48 of 55
X2 on The Blackening. It is darn good. Lots of power and emotion. Good SQ too...

I agree Elliott...Tool 10000 Days album is pretty cool....those 3D images are fun...The old "Undertow" album is a classic also.

Apr 30, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #49 of 55
I really wanted to believe that Machineheads "The Blackening" was well recorded. I bought the album off someone in the fs section here. I find it virtually unlistenable from a SQ standpoint. there is a constant fuzz around the drums and guitars that sounds like an old record that is dusty, its just barely there and maybe without a very resolving dac or amp you wouldnt hear it but it drives me crazy! I thought maybe it was the headphones but i hear it with all headphones, thought maybe it was my ef1 amp but c2c reveals it even more. Too bad, i like the music and it sounds ok off of rhapsody at 192kbs.

May 1, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #51 of 55
If you could handle growled singing, I'd recommend Gojira, but I only like it because (a) the music is so good, and (b) he actually is almost Jaz Coleman in his singing.

That said, check out Killing Joke. Try the recent (yellow) self-titled album.

How about no lyrics at all? That would be Canvas Solaris. Extreme Metal without the cookie monster vocals.

...Metal by numbers, 1, 2, 3
Follow these rules and you will see
Cookie monster vocals or yell like a wookie
Metal by numbers, COOKIE, COOKIE, COOKIE!!!

May 3, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #52 of 55
Finally found a metal album that sounds very good. Metallica's "Black Album", just got it and its excellent. Havent listened to this one in years and this is the best system ive ever had. Its great to rock out to something that isnt mixed so hot
evil_smiley.gif

May 10, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #55 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you could handle growled singing, I'd recommend Gojira, but I only like it because (a) the music is so good, and (b) he actually is almost Jaz Coleman in his singing.

That said, check out Killing Joke. Try the recent (yellow) self-titled album.

How about no lyrics at all? That would be Canvas Solaris. Extreme Metal without the cookie monster vocals.

...Metal by numbers, 1, 2, 3
Follow these rules and you will see
Cookie monster vocals or yell like a wookie
Metal by numbers, COOKIE, COOKIE, COOKIE!!!

I came to this thread solely to mention Gojira. I recently discovered them and they have dethroned my former favorite metal band Tool. I ask anyone who considers themselves heavy music listeners to buy From Mars to Sirius and when you pick your jaw off the floor you'll wonder why you've lived so long without the heaviest music in the universe. (Also watch the music videos!)

Also check out Neurosis - Enemy of the Sun, that album blew my mind so when I went on a search for more music like it the next stop was Isis which I can't seem to get interested in, nor Pelican. But Godspeed You! Black Emperor works for me.

And +1 for The Mars Volta - De-loused in the Comatorium, that album is simply mesmerizing for me. Although I suppose it's either love or hate since the vocals aren't cookie cutter. If you like that get Frances the Mute of course.

I also love Monster Magnet (Dopes to Infinity ftw!) so check out Clutch if you haven't. Almost kicks as much posterior as Dave.

Oh! One more before I shutup. If you're not familiar with the band called "Death" check it out at least for historical purposes. The Sound of Perseverance, Symbolic, and maybe Scream Bloody Gore (although it's pretty raw) and Chuck's other band "Control Denied" - The Fragile Art of Existence.

R.I.P. Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back